K9 Fitness Preparation

300x250 Mobile

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K9 Fitness Preparation

Hello everyone,

Eventually my goal is to get into k9 handling. I'm pretty up to date on many of the training requirements and the testing requirements etc.

I was just wondering what the handlers on the board do as a routine to maintain a healthy fitness level for working with the dogs. What kind of weight, body resistance, cardio, etc just general fitness workouts are used in order to keep up with the dogs.

As long as you are in reasonably decent shape you shouldn't have a problem. The only problem I have seen is that when you are on a nice long open area track, two legs just cant keep up with four.

• #3 will never be in as good as shape as your K9. A good thing that I do is go for runs with your K9. That way you are doing activity together other than working. A lot of fun too.
      Gods Speed

Thanks for the tips folks I still have a while yet before I actually get to do the k9 gig (or at least apply rather) but I want to make sure I'm the most competitive candidate possible when I do apply.

Thanks again,

I help train a 12 week Police K9 Course for new K9 teams . All handlers must learn to be good decoys which requires working in a heavy bitesuit , taking downfield running hits from K9's wear a bite sleeve and taking hits from muzzled K9's , etc. . This requires good cardio , strong upper body , shoulders , back and knees can take a beating doing this .

Handling their own dog during training puts stress on the same body parts .

Common physical problems with new Handlers ;
          #1 CARDIO
          #2 Shin splints (lots of walking for teaching obediance)
          #3 Back injuries
          #4 Pulled hamstrings
          #5 Knee injuries

For the actual street work you will need good cardio , strong shoulders and back in controlling and keeping up with the dogs on tracks . You may be at times lifting an on average 60-80 pound dog over or onto obstacles .

Having been a K9 Officer for about 9 years now I live with constant pain in my shoulders and in 1 knee from working the dogs on the street and training them . My back ain't too far behind either . I wouldn't change a thing though it's the best job I ever had .

What's Going On

There are currently 8142 users online. 320 members and 7822 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad