300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
    Are VA police covered under 6c? I don't think they are, but I'm not sure.
    No sir. Probably never will be. In fact, the word on the street is that every station that has GS-7 level officers is going to be demoting them to GS-6. What a morale booster. Until the VA removes the medical director's authority from the police, it will be an uphill battle. I'm leaving as soon as an opportunity presents itself.
    Discombobulatory Accountable Volunteerism.

Comment

Originally posted by usmcgunnerm4 View Post
      No sir. Probably never will be. In fact, the word on the street is that every station that has GS-7 level officers is going to be demoting them to GS-6. What a morale booster. Until the VA removes the medical director's authority from the police, it will be an uphill battle. I'm leaving as soon as an opportunity presents itself.
      That's too bad. Every 0083 police officer ought to be 6c.
      I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

The Veterans Affairs Police began carrying firearms in 2001 as GS-6's, they never received a pay increase for the additional responsibility of carrying a firearm, nor have they been promoted since then. Most stations are still at the GS-6 level. This little bit of information should tell you something about how the VA runs and operates.

Congress had established several times that the Veterans Affairs Police actual job description encompass security related duties and they don't perform law enforcement duties on a regular basis, therefore, they shouldn't be entitled to (LEP) Law Enforcement Pay or benefits. Makes sense.

Make the move while you still can. I always said, "you're not getting any younger". So true at 37. I'm glad that I left the VA when I did, otherwise, I'd still be unhappy and pretending to be something that I wasn't.
        Last edited by dogtear1; 04-16-2008, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah, I went to a two day street survival seminar paid for by the VA. I remember hanging out with cops, troopers, highway patrol, agents, etc. This one guy asked me where I worked? I mentioned the VA. The guy replied, "oh you're from Virginia, cool". I stood there in total embarassment, and said, yeah, Virginia. I felt so outta place, I didn't even want to explain!!! Good seminar though. I use to get that, "you work in a hospital as a police officer"? "So you're a hospital cop just in the hospital"?
          Last edited by dogtear1; 04-16-2008, 06:00 PM.

Comment

New member - can you help me?

Hello everyone. I am considering a job with my local VA, but I was hoping to get some specific information on the academy in Little Rock. I am in my mid -forties and concerned I won't be able to keep up. I was hoping someone could give me the low down on what, EXACTLY is required for the PT portion of the academy. Thanks a ton!

Comment

The Veterans Affairs Police began carrying firearms in 2001 as GS-6's, they never received a pay increase for the additional responsibility of carrying a firearm, nor have they been promoted since then. Most stations are still at the GS-6 level. This little bit of information should tell you something about how the VA runs and operates.
              That is incorrect. The VA started carrying in 1996 with the Chicago Westside/Lakeside (Lakeside is now closed), North Chicago and West Los Angeles VA's being the first armed. They were then expanded to 10 a year in 2 groups. 9/11 pushed up arming and all VA's were armed by 2002. Also GS-04 and 05 police officers were armed.
              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I am a little late on this but here you go. You do not have to have prior arrest authority to work for the VA. I worked as a Correctional Officer for 6 years before coming to the VA. In Pennsylvania, a Correctional Officer is looked down upon by MPOETC and would NEVER be granted ANY powers of arrest. Also when I started with the VA I did not have a degree, and I am a Veteran, I was a generator mechanic in the ARMY.
                Pro Deo et Patria

Comment

Hmmmm, this is pretty standard in the Job Announcement

Police Officer

QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
                  You must have one year of specialized experience at a level close to the work of this job that has given you the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities required to successfully perform. Typically we would find this experience in work within this field or a field that is closely related.

Applicant must show that they currently have arrest authority or had it in the past.

You must be a U.S. citizen to qualify for this position.

You will be required to maintain firearm proficiency and carry a firearm and while performing duties of this position.

You must submit to a drug test and receive a negative drug test before you can be appointed into this position.

Individuals who have special priority selection rights under the Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) must be well qualified for the position to receive consideration for special priority selection. See Basis for Rating for definition of "well qualified". Federal employees seeking CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit proof that they meet the requirements of 5 CFR 330.605 (a) for CTAP and 5 CFR 330.704 for ICTAP. This includes a copy of the agency notice, a copy of their most recent Performance Rating and a copy of their most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP or ICTAP eligible.

You will need to successfully complete a background security investigation before you can be appointed into this position.

You must meet time-in-grade restrictions by the closing date of this announcement.

Applicants for this position must pass a pre-employment medical examination.

HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
                  You will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required; and on the extent to which your application shows that you possess the knowledges, skills, and abilities associated with this position as defined below. When describing your knowledges, skills, and abilities, please be sure to give examples and explain how often you used these skills, the complexity of the knowledge you possessed, the level of the people you interacted with, the sensitivity of the issues you handled, etc. KSA's must be addressed and attached to your application. Failure to do so will render applicant ineligible.

1. Knowledge of police and investigatory policies, procedures and techniques.

2. Ability to handle firearms in a professional and safe manner.

3. Knowledge of proprietorial jurisdiction polices and procedures in order to procedures in order to prosecute actions in local and state courts.

4. Ability to communicate effectively with people from all socioeconomic levels.

5. Knowledge of other state and federal law enforcement agencies in order to work jointly on criminal cases or serve as a resource.

Comment

Seems to be some serious debate in this forum, in regard to the VA police. So far, from what I’ve read, both sides have valid points (Orlandofed5-0 and VAcop1).
                    I noticed Orlandofed5-0 is with Amtrak and indicated to being a former VA cop.
                    I myself am a former 0083 (Region2) back when FPS was under General Services Administration.
                    I remember back in the early 90's when GSA threatened to get rid of the Federal Protective Service and the US Marshal Service stepped in and said they would make it the "uniformed division of the USMS." Obviously it never happened, but look at where FPS is today.....it has grown into practically being the premier police force of the US Gov.
                    My point is that the VA police is a growing agency. Things will change, it just takes time.
                    Similar to VA, FPS back in the days had to surrender their duty weapon to the lock box at the end of the shift. We complained about it, similar to VA. Even though we were police officers, were often considered "glorified security." For at that time, US Park police were considered real police with duties and functions similar to local police depts.
                    Some federal police agencies start off as 0085 or have 0083’s do limited / restricted duties….example, just access control and visible police presence (such as FBI police).
                    In Delaware, the VA Police are pushing for concurrent jurisdiction (which will enable them to enforce off fed property)….similar to what the DC City Council did in 2000…whereas, federal government law enforcement agencies were given the ability to enter into agreements with DC Metro PD. Such as, General Services Administration, Amtrak, Defense Protective Services, FBI Police, and the National Zoological Park Police. This is also the case in other states where federal police agencies are in agreement with the local police departments.
                    Also in Delaware, the Chief is in the process of changing the perception of the VA police....such as involvement with other agencies in statewide DUI checkpoints, etc.
                    I myself am old school and believe in more money less work.... but a lot off the younger guys love the gung-ho and action (pursuits, tickets, arrests, etc...).
                    As federal police, the pay is great (depending on the area of employment), and often better than the locals, whom often work harder for less salaries. After all, where else can you earn $42,000 to $48,000 as a police officer (GS-6), doing duties that resemble those of a security guard? In my opinion, that’s easy money.
                    less work + more money = smart
                    more work + less money = not for me...lol
                    Anyways, VAcop1, just be patient and things will change , but keep in mind that the activeness or restrictions of your dept depend on your chief.
                    Oh, one more thing....to the person saying that the VA hires anyone without experience....maybe so at the GS-3 & 4 level.....many 0083 positions under the GS-5 level usually you dont require any law enforcement experience to qualify; but to be hired as a VA police officer at the GS-6 level, you do have to have prior / current police officer experience.
                    Last edited by NYCdel; 05-20-2008, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCde View Post
                      In Delaware, the VA Police are pushing for concurrent jurisdiction (which will enable them to enforce off fed property)….similar to what the DC City Council did in 2000…whereas, federal government law enforcement agencies were given the ability to enter into agreements with DC Metro PD. Such as, General Services Administration, Amtrak, Defense Protective Services, FBI Police, and the National Zoological Park Police. This is also the case in other states where federal police agencies are in agreement with the local police departments.[/COLOR]
                      That would be great, and helpful. The VA policy is very strictly written, enumerating that VA police will not be commissioned as special police officers, deputies, or otherwise. We (at my facility) have concurrent jurisdiction, but that only means that we can enforce state law on federal property. The locals can also come on to our property to enforce local laws. The other day I was telling an officer; "It's the job we signed on for. We can't do anything beyond the sidewalks. That's what we do, we protect the VA, and we enforce the laws that we can, when we can." When I see people running stop signs on the street corner near the V.A., all I can do is give them a dirty look and drive on. It's all a matter of perception, if you want to have a large area, respond to in-progress calls, and get into pursuits etc..... Go be a city cop. I like the VA, but it is not anything like being a city cop. I enjoy the slow call rate, which gives me AMPLE opportunity to be proactive. It's still law enforcement, just on a very small scale. I'm sure that I will move on, a year or two after I get down to California, but for now.....it pays the bills.

Comment

Well if S2984 is enacted we will have a little more authority to play with. They are expecting it to pass, they just don't know when. It's still in committee right now so it could be hacked to bits. But we get to actually leave the grounds if it goes through. Plus a bigger uniform allowance.

TITLE IV—MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS

SEC. 401. EXPANSION OF AUTHORITY FOR DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS POLICE OFFICERS.

Section 902 is amended—

(1) in subsection (a)—

(A) by amending paragraph (1) to read as follows:

“(1) Employees of the Department who are Department police officers shall, with respect to acts occurring on Department property—

“(A) enforce Federal laws;

“(B) enforce the rules prescribed under section 901 of this title;

“(C) enforce traffic and motor vehicle laws of a state or local government within the jurisdiction of which such Department property is located as authorized by an express grant of authority under applicable state or local law. Any such enforcement shall be by issuance of a citation for violation of such law;

“(D) carry the appropriate VA-issued weapons, including firearms, while off Department property in an official capacity or while in an official travel status;

“(E) conduct investigations, on and off Department property, of offenses that may have been committed on property under the original jurisdiction of VA, consistent with agreements or other consultation with affected local, state, or Federal <law> <enforcement> agencies; and

“(F) carry out, as needed and appropriate, the duties described in subparagraphs (A)-(E) of this subsection when engaged in duties authorized by other Federal statutes.”.

(B) by striking paragraph (2) and renumbering paragraph (3) as paragraph (2) and adding “, and on any arrest warrant issued by competent judicial authority” before the period.

(2) by amending subsection (c) to read:

“(c) The powers granted to Department police officers designated under this section shall be exercised in accordance with guidelines approved by the Secretary and the Attorney General.”.

SEC. 402. UNIFORM ALLOWANCE FOR DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS POLICE OFFICERS.

Section 903 is amended—

(1) by striking the matter in subsection (b) and inserting:

“(b) The amount of the allowance that the Secretary may pay under this section will be the lesser of—

“(1) the amount currently allowed as prescribed by the Office of Personnel Management; or

“(2) estimated costs or actual costs as determined by periodic surveys conducted by the Department.

“During any fiscal year no officer will receive more than the amount established under this subsection.”.

(2) by striking the matter in subsection (c) and inserting:

“(c) The allowance established under subsection (b) shall be paid at the beginning of a Department police officer’s employment for those appointed on or after October 1, 2008. In the case of any other Department police officer, an allowance in the amount established under subsection (b) shall be paid upon the request of the officer.

Nancy Pelosi... whether I approve of her or not beside the point probably says it best:

"Key provisions of Title IV of the draft bill would make long-needed improvements to VA’s Security and <Law> <Enforcement> Program, and enable our police officers to more fully perform all of the duties required of their <law> <enforcement positions."

Comment

Originally posted by crowbar View Post
                          I am a little late on this but here you go. You do not have to have prior arrest authority to work for the VA. I worked as a Correctional Officer for 6 years before coming to the VA. In Pennsylvania, a Correctional Officer is looked down upon by MPOETC and would NEVER be granted ANY powers of arrest. Also when I started with the VA I did not have a degree, and I am a Veteran, I was a generator mechanic in the ARMY.
                          First: MPOETC looks down on everyone. They give us the power to enforce state laws on property and even grant us "numbers" to file Criminal Complaints with the magistrate... but say we're not qualified for a waiver.

Second: As far as the arrest authority requirements; this is VA they work things the way they want to when it benefits them. Though just because PA doesn't think Corrections Officers aren't Peace Officers doesn't mean Uncle Sam doesn't.

Third: Your at the Pittsburgh VA? Are you guys the station that got Chief of the Year?

Comment

Great, But Im not waiting around or holding my breath waiting to see these laws come in effect. Most of them are dreams not really going to happen. Ive been with The VA for ten years, Ive seen alot of promises and dreams. Yes, We did get guns but they should of been here way before I came along. Even 18 year olds in the military carry guns!!! What happen to the pay raise? The upgrades and bigger and better things? I believe in evolution but Im not waiting one hundred years for this agency to catch up with the times. For god sake, We dont even have rifles nothing but a ****ty shooting 9MM. We cant even provide security needless to say we cant even prevent a active shooter or the idea of a hostage situation without calling the locals. This place is a fake and yes I have finally realized this and tried to make it more than what it was. Thats why nobody stay here! Im out of this place! Disgruntled worker that I am!!

Comment

I do not suppose VA Police has a take-home program?
                              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                              that we are all that stands between
                              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
                                I do not suppose VA Police has a take-home program?
                                No, they do not.
                                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6447 users online. 456 members and 5991 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X