300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Strength in female "shooters"

Hi there. I am starting my academy soon and have a couple of questions pertaining to the firearms portion. I have no experience shooting a handgun, but I do know that women may have issues at the range due to a lack of hand and wrist strength...not sure if this will be a big issue for me, but could any of you recommend ways I could improve this on my own prior to heading to the range? I do know that a hand spring may help, how often and is there anything else? Thanks Smudge
    ....Remember that courage and strength are naught without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste,look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end. -E. Whymper

Wrist training

Originally posted by SMUDGE
    Hi there. I am starting my academy soon and have a couple of questions pertaining to the firearms portion. I have no experience shooting a handgun, but I do know that women may have issues at the range due to a lack of hand and wrist strength...not sure if this will be a big issue for me, but could any of you recommend ways I could improve this on my own prior to heading to the range? I do know that a hand spring may help, how often and is there anything else? Thanks Smudge
    Lots of luck at the Academy!

In my experience (12+ years as an instructor) I found some interesting things
    out about new Female shooters. I may take some heat on this but...

First and foremost is that females are generally more afraid of handguns. This is good because believe it or not it makes them pay closer attention to the instructor, and this in turn makes them initially superior shots to men who shoot for the first time.

The problem comes with longer term expectations, men in the long run generally do better than Women, because men are more likely to become interested in shooting and pursue it beyond qualification time.

Since you pointed out the strength issue, that is IMO the easiest to overcome. Yes, hand spring training is there, but USING a handgun does more than anything else to make familiarity happen.

Without familiarity and training nobody will do well in the long run.

I don't know how "soon" you are to begin your training, but the best advice I can give you and any other soon to be Cadet is to spend a few bucks and go to a civilian instructor and get basic handling and sighting skills using the type of gun and ammo your future department will issue.

Most ranges rent a wide variety of brands of handguns, and have qualified instructors associated with them. For the price of a few range visits after some training (likely about $60) you'll start at the academy well into the training curve.

Oh, if you get a handspring trainer, look for the ones sold in music stores for Guitar players. They come in several strength ratings. Pick one that is NOT easily compressed and held there. Do repetitions until your hand becomes tired, and also do squeeze and hold exercises again till your hand tires. Do it a LOT of times a day, for short periods. Do it while driving, reading, in the head :-) and anywhere else that you can do it without setting aside time to do it.

Regards,

Gary

Comment

http://www.musclenet.com/grippage.htm

this will get your strength up quickly - just progress at your own pace.

Comment

Smudge-

Congratulations and best of luck in the academy and your career.

This may sound funny but believe me it works. Get a tennis ball and squeeze it with your shooting hand whenever you can. Keep one in your car and use it when you are driving a significant distance. I know this post will probably get a lot of laughs but believe me it works and it's a very simple way to strengthen hand muscles.
        Hope it helps.

Stay safe.

Comment

As any new shooter you will need to increase your hand strength. I went through F.L.E.T.C. in Glynco Georgia as a Firearms instructor. They taught that you can use a Tennis Ball or a hand builder that you can pick up in any old Sporting goods store like Dick's Sporting goods on the Net. You may also want to invest in a good Hogue grip for your gun...This will increase control. Good luck.
          Originally posted by SMUDGE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6393 users online. 358 members and 6035 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X