Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuff case positioning.

Hello All...

I'm new to this site and am hoping I can get some "back-up" here.

I have 8 years combined(reserve & full-time)civilian LEO experience. I am also a state-certified (California)Baton & Handcuffing Instructor for Security Officer certification.

Currently I'm a Security Forces (military police) officer in the Air Force and we have just gotten a new commander. This new CO wants us to look completely uniform & "sharp" since we are the first personnel that people see when they enter the base.

He has decided that we all must have our duty belts set-up exactly the same way. I don't have problem with the basic set-up (holster strong-side with pepper spray in front, ammo case opposite side with radio behind) however he wants us to wear our cuffs in SOB (small-of-back).

I've explained up my chain of command that I have several problems with this issue (including the whole all belts exactly alike): First-Every officer should set-up their belt in a way that THEY are most comfortable with based on their prior training & experience, Second-The documented cases of spine/back problems associated with cuff case/equipment at SOB, Third-The Tactical disadvantage it places the officer by forcing them to expose one complete side of their body as they have to reach to the back to get their cuffs.

I explained all the above to my chain-of-command, the response was "Prove It". Meaning that they want to see corroborating data (published studies, training manuals, etc.)

Soooo... I'm wondering if anyone out there can direct me to any "official" resources where I can purchase/beg/borrow/(not steal!) this information that I can provide to my superiors.

Thank you in advance for any input!

Sgt. DAC SFS

Originally posted by DACSFS
    Hello All...

I'm new to this site and am hoping I can get some "back-up" here.

I have 8 years combined(reserve & full-time)civilian LEO experience. I am also a state-certified (California)Baton & Handcuffing Instructor for Security Officer certification.

Currently I'm a Security Forces (military police) officer in the Air Force and we have just gotten a new commander. This new CO wants us to look completely uniform & "sharp" since we are the first personnel that people see when they enter the base.

He has decided that we all must have our duty belts set-up exactly the same way. I don't have problem with the basic set-up (holster strong-side with pepper spray in front, ammo case opposite side with radio behind) however he wants us to wear our cuffs in SOB (small-of-back).

I've explained up my chain of command that I have several problems with this issue (including the whole all belts exactly alike): First-Every officer should set-up their belt in a way that THEY are most comfortable with based on their prior training & experience, Second-The documented cases of spine/back problems associated with cuff case/equipment at SOB, Third-The Tactical disadvantage it places the officer by forcing them to expose one complete side of their body as they have to reach to the back to get their cuffs.

I explained all the above to my chain-of-command, the response was "Prove It". Meaning that they want to see corroborating data (published studies, training manuals, etc.)

Soooo... I'm wondering if anyone out there can direct me to any "official" resources where I can purchase/beg/borrow/(not steal!) this information that I can provide to my superiors.

Thank you in advance for any input!

Sgt. DAC SFS

I don"t have any resources for you but things like this really tick me off. What a bunch of F*****g morons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Cuff Case Position

Contact me directly [email protected] I can get the information you request.

Comment

I was taught that putting cuffs in the center of your back is dangerous. If you are rear ended, i've heard stories of cuffs doing damage to the officer's spine. My department requires us to wear our cuffs (single pair only) on our weak side which has been a challenge getting used to cuffing with my weak hand. But I can reach them with my right hand if need be.

Comment

Opposite side of gun hand. You can still hold weapon and reach cuffs with off hand. Middle of the back hurts like hell after a few hours.

Comment

As an MP I delat with a few morons like that. Most didn't wear a duty belt so they had no ***king clue how much of a pain in the back, literally, that could be. Check out the Force Science Center at University of Minnesota Mankato. Those folks do all kinds of studies about movement dynamics of police officers.
            Be alert...the world needs more lerts!

Comment

I started off wearing my cuffs on my back...but like Bodie said, they dig into your back and it is soooo uncomfortable. I now have mine up front, opp. from my gun. That way I can get to them easy w/out having to reach around back and it is more comfortable. I have seen a lot of people kinda position them on their hip, so that they aren't digging into the back. Most of the people who make the rules on where you have to position everything do not sit in a car for 8-9 hrs a day!
              "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

"Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

Comment

DACSFS,
                The main problem that you are dealing with is that the military has a woody for uniformity. You have your work cut out for you trying to alter in any way a mindset that has been in place...well, forever and a day. I dealt with the same issues when I was in and the response I ever got from the lifers was "everyone has to look uniform". Best of luck.

For the record I prefer to place my cuff cases up front on my non-gun side. This placement allows me to access my cuffs with either hand.
                The only thing we have to fear is change itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                  Opposite side of gun hand. You can still hold weapon and reach cuffs with off hand. Middle of the back hurts like hell after a few hours.
                  I put mine just behind my gun. If I have to draw down on someone I can switch to my left hand and reach for my cuffs. I have better range of motion on my right arm.. I need to work on the left I guess :/ ... To each his own though.

Comment

I wear two cuff cases, both on my rear, but to the side so not to stick me in the back, one behind my gun then a space for my back, then the other one then radio....................or lapd style

Comment

Two sets of cuffs here. Hinged on a strap at the front on my weak side. It's very easy to unsnap with your thumb and grip the cuffs in the same motion. Second set (chained) in a case on my weak side towards the left side on my back. Primarily use the ones up front since they are fast and easy to get to.
                      In god we trust, the rest we run through NCIC

Comment

I wore my cuffs in the small of my back my entire career and am now paying for it. If I could do it all over again I would wear them elsewhere.
                        "Being responsible sometimes means ****ing people off."

Comment

DACSFS, I understand from a friend in the Security Forces that SF was planning on mandating how equipment is carried. You might check the status of that impending regulation. If it mandates placing the cuffs in front or to the side, you may win your battle before it's started. On the other hand, if USAF wants handcuffs in the center of your back, you're no worse off for having researched the regulation.

Good luck and be safe. I also keep my two sets of handcuffs out of the small of my back.
                          John from Maryland

Comment

I work Corrections but here is my 2 cents. I agree with both the tatical disadvantage as well as the risk of injury. I personally carry 3 sets of cuffs 1 pair in an open top case strong side front the other 2 are in a double case on my right side near the rear. I keep a space on the back of my duty belt clear about from the corner of each back pocket. We have a guy that has been out on medical leave for like 6 months due to falling on his back and recieving a more serious injury because of items on his belt.
                            Stay Safe
                            And remember that you only have
                            1 *

Comment

being a former ops O type in the SF career field, I would recommend contacting the local and state cops near Beale. Obviously they will not be following some dorked up policy like that (unfortunately there are far to many CC's who like to make OPR bullets) Contact their training sections (LE academys and advanced officer training sections) and get some official input from them. At least you can get some good contacts with the surrounding LE and can reference what the "real" cops are doing out on the road.

of course, there is always the security forces center. Their direction / input would definately help
                              Last edited by spartanws6; 10-23-2005, 01:13 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3969 users online. 183 members and 3786 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X