Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the Veteran Trainers/Instructors.....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Veteran Trainers/Instructors.....

I'm an officer with seven years on the job and will be going to Instructor Development in October. I'm already a STOPS and SFST instructor (which does not require you to be instructor certified) and have hopes of becoming a Defensive Tactics instructor after I've become certified. My question to the vet instructors is this, what do you see as being a valuable area to specialize in that would be useful after retirement?
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

It does not matter what it is, as long as you are very good at it. My friend teaches about gangs and travels around the nation. I teach about fraudulent documents, identifications and Resident Alien cards. I am already scheduled to teach at two conferences this year and I have received calls from other states requesting training.
    "You are always just one bad decision away from unemployment, prison or death."

"My profession dictates that I routinely confront the people that the average citizen fearfully crosses the street to avoid. Then I must endure the criticism of that citizen as he judges my actions from afar."

www.speforums.com

Comment

It's funny because I was thinking along these lines at work the other day. Another just recently retired Deputy I worked with passed away within months of leaving the job.

It seems to happen a lot. As if the job sucks all the life out of them, or perhaps they feel lost and have no sense of worth without it. Not sure why, but I've seen a lot of seemingly health people go very quickly after hanging them up.

I know when I was in the Marine Corps, there were classes run by instructors on how to "survive" in the civilian world... either after your contract was up or after you retired. They were mandatory for us. The idea being that we'd have to adjust our way of thinking and realize that we were leaving a warrior caste and becoming regular civilians. Our way of thinking, acting, and speaking would need to be changed in order for us to fit in.

I've always wondered why there isn't anyone doing similar classes for LEO's. Seems to me that we'd face a lot of the same adjustment issues and could benefit from some preparation and guidance beforehand. I mean let's face it... we dont think, act, or even speak like the average citizens do. A huge part of our support structure is taken away when you retire.

You could be a pioneer. Set up some type of classes along these lines and open it up to any personnel in the region who will be leaving the job soon. You'd be able to draw in officers, deputies, CO's, etc from various agencies as clients. These soon to be retired LEO's could even make friends and contacts at the training, and would then have some like-minded buddies (who'd also have a lot of free time on their hands now too) who they could run with, talk to and who'd understand where they were coming from. It would provide them an opportunity to at least partially replace the support structure they'd lose when they retire.

I'm not aware of any such counseling or training like this existing now, and I'm too lazy (Hey, at least I'm honest! ) to go about trying to set anything along these lines up myself. Maybe you think this wouldn't be anything that's needed or that would sell, but you have my blessing to use this idea if you choose to try it. I think a lot of retirees could've used something like this to prep them for life after the job.

Comment

There was a study done a few years back, that the amount of adrenaline dumps you get on the job, is actually bad for you. They also found out that after retirement, police officers live an average of 10 years.
        Most civilians do not get as many adrenaline dumps compared to Police Officers.
        I am sorry, but I do not have a link to that study.

Although thatis the case, I still want to become a Police Officer!

Comment

Originally posted by 124exp
          There was a study done a few years back, that the amount of adrenaline dumps you get on the job, is actually bad for you. They also found out that after retirement, police officers live an average of 10 years.
          Most civilians do not get as many adrenaline dumps compared to Police Officers.
          I am sorry, but I do not have a link to that study.

Although thatis the case, I still want to become a Police Officer!
          The adrenaline weakens the walls of your artieries and causes tooth decay. But this job is too damn fun to care about that. Its the quality of your life that counts, not the duration

"My profession dictates that I routinely confront the people that the average citizen fearfully crosses the street to avoid. Then I must endure the criticism of that citizen as he judges my actions from afar."

www.speforums.com

Comment

Tooth Decay I thought it was from all the Donuts I eat It all makes sence now
            Quick throw me your cuffs I already used all of mine
            Come here Slick Im not done with you yet

Comment

Originally posted by Ballen0351
              Tooth Decay I thought it was from all the Donuts I eat It all makes sence now
              LOL, I am sure they weren't helping either.

www.speforums.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4053 users online. 210 members and 3843 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X