Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defensive Tactics: The MOST important skill for police. - So you wanna be a cop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive Tactics: The MOST important skill for police. - So you wanna be a cop?

http://wannabeacop.com/defensive-tac...ement/#more-62

I always preferred the TAZER :-)

But this is a great article
    Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
    Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

As much as I like the article, IMHO, the most effective skills for police are reasoning ability, conflict resolution and effective communication skills (oral and written). If you have a good combination of these skills, you will assuredly go hands-on a lot less.

As for the physical stuff, Defensive Tactics is absolutely the most critical, because you always have that equipment with you.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

The Washington State Police Academy has begun recently a new mindset of training guardians not warriors. What this means is that although they still train new officers in Defensive Tactics (125 hours), Firearms (86 hours), and other hands on stuff. They now emphasize even more verbal judo and de-escalation tactics. Defensive Tactics is probably one of the most important things for an officer to have (nowdays especially) but nothing beats good ol fashion de-escalation tactics.

Comment

I must be getting old and "wiser" as one of my colleagues once told me would happen once I got some years under my belt. In the last few years I've gone a lot less "hands on" and gotten a lot more voluntary compliance using "verbal judo" as well as other de-escalation tactics. Good for me as it means a lot ness scrapes and bruises and good for the "customers" as a lot less ER visits for them.
          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6547 users online. 316 members and 6231 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X