Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic officer gun qualifying and training.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic officer gun qualifying and training.

I have to qualify for gun training for my department and am curious to see what everyone's experience has been. I am pretty accurate with shooting in traditional stances but lack some experience with shooting with my weak hand. Did anyone's departments make you shoot so good with weak hand opposed to strong hand shooting. This is just a basic officer qualification test. Thanks

As for the training aspect, we do malfunction drills, weak hand and some tactical drills (some with cardio to induce stress). As for the actual qualifications, it is the state minimum standard. Have you spoken with your range officer, read your department SOP and course of fire? There you should find what will be expected of you for the training, as every department does things a little differently than others.

I have worked and / or trained with several departments over the years and find there are a percentage of officers who look forward to range days and others who literally dread it.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Here is some information pertaining to firearms qualification standards

§149-2-10. Annual In-Service Training Curriculum 10.2. It is the responsibility of each law enforcement agency to require, at a minimum, semi-annual firearms qualifications of all active members, one of which will be a low light firing for qualification. All qualifications shall be separated by a minimum period of three (3) months. 10.2.a. Each handgun qualification shall : 10.2.a.1 Be with the individual’s unmodified primary service handgun ; 10.2.a.2 Be on a course of fire requiring a minimum of thirty two (32) rounds ; 10.2.a.3 Range from a distance of no less than three yards to a minimum of fifteen yards ; 10.2.a.4 Be on a target.with a scoring area no larger than 468 square inches ; 10.2.a.5 Be conducted by a subcommittee approved firearms officer or firearms instructor ; 10.2.b. The minimum passing score for qualification shall be seventy-five percent (75%). 10.2.b.1 The qualification scores for each officer shall be submitted to the Subcommittee by the employing agency. Any law enforcement agency failing to report firearms qualification shall be listed in the annual report of Law Enforcement Professional Standards filed with the WV Legislature. 10.2.c. The guidelines listed in 10.2a – 10.2.b. shall be considered minimum standards and do not prohibit any law enforcement agency from establishing more stringent qualification standards as an agency policy

Comment

Originally posted by mountainman02 View Post
        The guidelines listed in 10.2a – 10.2.b. shall be considered minimum standards and do not prohibit any law enforcement agency from establishing more stringent qualification standards as an agency policy
        This is pretty much a standard. Illinois has the same language (I think in the Police Training Act) as it applies to firearms qualifications. There are usually no restrictions on the training aspect. If you are doing firearms training, your range officer can have you doing any number of things to improve your marksmanship and incorporating shoot / don't shoot scenarios.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Did anyone's departments make you shoot so good with weak hand opposed to strong hand shooting.
          No, it wasn't my department that made me shoot better with my support/weak hand, but through the guidance of competent instructors and practicing made me a better shooter.

If you are relying on your department to get you to the next level (unless your agency has awesome training department/staff with good budget), you'll just get "enough" training time to get you to meet that "minimal" standard set forth by your state's governing body.

Good luck with your qualification and be safe!

Comment

I have to qualify for gun training for my department and am curious to see what everyone's experience has been. I am pretty accurate with shooting in traditional stances but lack some experience with shooting with my weak hand. Did anyone's departments make you shoot so good with weak hand opposed to strong hand shooting. This is just a basic officer qualification test. Thanks
            Are you a Police?

Your question is strange.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

All of the weapons instructors I have been around are real good at teaching skills. (well , most of them anyway---in 40 yrs I have had more than a couple instructors )

However most don't have the time to really TEACH anything at qualification time. That is done in the basic CLASS INSTRUCTION.

You should have plenty of instruction time prior to actual qualification----------my state has a total of 40 hrs of classroom BEFORE hitting the range......................

Our state mandated qualification course has weak hand shooting at a couple stations (including 25 yrds) and requires an 80% score to qualify (50 rounds)

Here is some information pertaining to firearms qualification standards

§149-2-10. Annual In-Service Training Curriculum 10.2. It is the responsibility of each law enforcement agency to require, at a minimum, semi-annual firearms qualifications of all active members, one of which will be a low light firing for qualification. All qualifications shall be separated by a minimum period of three (3) months. 10.2.a. Each handgun qualification shall : 10.2.a.1 Be with the individual’s unmodified primary service handgun ; 10.2.a.2 Be on a course of fire requiring a minimum of thirty two (32) rounds ; 10.2.a.3 Range from a distance of no less than three yards to a minimum of fifteen yards ; 10.2.a.4 Be on a target.with a scoring area no larger than 468 square inches ; 10.2.a.5 Be conducted by a subcommittee approved firearms officer or firearms instructor ; 10.2.b. The minimum passing score for qualification shall be seventy-five percent (75%). 10.2.b.1 The qualification scores for each officer shall be submitted to the Subcommittee by the employing agency. Any law enforcement agency failing to report firearms qualification shall be listed in the annual report of Law Enforcement Professional Standards filed with the WV Legislature. 10.2.c. The guidelines listed in 10.2a – 10.2.b. shall be considered minimum standards and do not prohibit any law enforcement agency from establishing more stringent qualification standards as an agency policy
              This is an INSERVICE training NOT a basic training Curriculum...............

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post

I have worked and / or trained with several departments over the years and find there are a percentage of officers who look forward to range days and others who literally dread it.
              Hate qualification day with a passion. Don't mind shooting...............detest quals. Don't even like the fun stuff we do at qual day..................

Now that I am retired & not sworn I go in --------------fire a round (or two if my timing is off) and go home
              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 04-24-2016, 10:55 PM.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I've always self-trained in weak-hand shooting.
                Our regular dept quals in both strong and weak with sidearm and patrol rifle.

...shooting weak side with an AR requires a lot of practice to just get the weapon in the proper position!
                SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

I qualified today for the gun qualification for my department... I did mostly regular stance shooting, a few drills with my heart rate up, strong hand shooting and we did a couple additional week hand shooting drills and it went very well. I think the farthest I shot was about 25 feet. Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

Firearms should have you doing barricade, kneeling, standing, weak side (1 and 2 handed), strong side (1 and 2 handed), hip fire, failure drills...
                    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                    that we are all that stands between
                    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8561 users online. 433 members and 8128 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X