300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combatives/martial art

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and have been lurking around for some time now. Any who i have been pondering about some stuff lately and wanted some insight. Been looking at extending my training in combatives as i see its a great way to stay in shape and i enjoy it.

My question is what type of martial art would be beneficial for a police officer? I know its nearly impossible to find an art that is well rounded (striking, weapon retention, ground, etc.) I've heard of the S.P.E.A.R system and was also looking at doing a Muay thai/ gracie jiu-jitsu combo. What do you guys think?

Any info is much appreciated!

Any of those, providing you keep up on them and if hired, learn how to incorporate them into your training.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Yes this will be incorporated with my training and my workout regimen as well. I guess ill be looking at a jack of all trades, master of none hah. Would MACP (Modern Army Combatives Program) be beneficial?

Comment

Everything you mentioned is covered in Krav Maga

Comment

Great! Another question, Are there any reputable krav maga DvDs i can order? or even a good website i can check out. i cant find any one who trains krav maga in my area.

Comment

I'm a Krav Maga instructor as well as a FLEO. What area are you in, I may be able to steer you in someone's direction?

Comment

El Paso, Texas area.

Comment

A quick Google search brings up two Krav Maga Worldwide training centers in the El Paso area. http://www.realselfdefenseep.com
                and http://www.wtigertaekwondo.com
                Most places that teach Krav Maga, also teach other styles, such as Tae Kwon Do and Jiu Jitsu. However, not knowing anything about these two places, they both are listed on the Krav Maga Worldwide website. KMW is known as the leader in Krav Maga training, so they are probably legit.

Comment

Gracie survival tactics is Gracie Jiu-Jitsu geared for police in duty gear. It is a great course. Generally, Jiu-Jitsu is a good discipline to learn. Most police agencies don't cover ground fighting, because we don't want to go to the ground on duty, but it is the reality of a fight that cannot be ignored.

Comment

I have been taking Krav Maga for about 4 months and I love it. highly recommended

Comment

Would MACP (Modern Army Combatives Program) be beneficial?
                      At it's most basic level MACP is designed to keep you from being seriously injured until your buddy can run over and shoot the bastard.

Just about anything that includes sparring of some kind is useful, the most important thing is to be able to take a punch and keep going.

I personally don't like Gracie ju-jitsu and other ground grappling styles, but there's no point in re-hashing that. Anything is better than nothing.

I have a background in Akido and being able to use techniques that are technically 1-2 levels lower on the force continuum than I COULD use makes use of force reports and investigations a snap.

That said, I currently practice Krav. It's the basis of the DTAC system I learned in the academy and I've stuck with it. IMO it gives the most utility for the least training time invested.
                      Last edited by tanksoldier; 02-22-2015, 06:30 PM.
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by spartan118 View Post
                        El Paso, Texas area.
                        You ever find anything in the area that has a decent cadre, program, and facility?
                        I know bliss has a combatives program in the "Far East" but there isn't much info on it out there. Not sure if it is just MACP or another style but I think it is open to all DOD card holders.

Shoot me a PM if ya don't mind. It wont let me send one to you.
                        "Independent research, reading comprehension, & a firm grasp of reality saves lives."

Comment

You are better off training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.......striking based styles suck as Krav Maga and others are not the best choice for law enforcement. Ground control is the key for law enforcement and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is the best training for that. I have been training and teaching Jiu-Jitsu for the last 20 years and I have used the techniques taught in Jiu-Jitsu many times against combative suspects without having to resort to striking which can be perceived as excessive force in most cases. Plus the carotid restraint, which was allowed by my former department, is the best technique to gain control of a suspect. I know some departments do not allow it or it is considered deadly force which is mistake in my opinion.

Go to this school and check it out.....it is affiliated with Relson Gracie which should be good to go.

http://www.gracie915.com/about-1/
                          Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

Originally posted by valetudo39 View Post
                            You are better off training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.......striking based styles suck as Krav Maga and others are not the best choice for law enforcement. Ground control is the key for law enforcement and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is the best training for that. I have been training and teaching Jiu-Jitsu for the last 20 years and I have used the techniques taught in Jiu-Jitsu many times against combative suspects without having to resort to striking which can be perceived as excessive force in most cases. Plus the carotid restraint, which was allowed by my former department, is the best technique to gain control of a suspect. I know some departments do not allow it or it is considered deadly force which is mistake in my opinion.

Go to this school and check it out.....it is affiliated with Relson Gracie which should be good to go.

http://www.gracie915.com/about-1/
                            Jiu Jitsu and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu have some fantastic programs for Police in most states as well. I get what you're saying about striking arts but just want to clarify that Krav Maga isn't a striking style it's a full spectrum fighting style designed for realistic street combat. It cover different tactics from striking to wrestling and to ground combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller11x View Post
                              Jiu Jitsu and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu have some fantastic programs for Police in most states as well. I get what you're saying about striking arts but just want to clarify that Krav Maga isn't a striking style it's a full spectrum fighting style designed for realistic street combat. It cover different tactics from striking to wrestling and to ground combat.
                              Hitting a suspect in the throat or kicking him in the balls is not a good idea and you can not compare the grappling taught in Jiu-Jitsu to the stuff they teach in Krav Maga.....that is why you have people in Israel who teach and train in Krav Maga also train in Jiu-Jitsu. Trust me not all Krav Maga taught in the U.S. is legit Krav but more like Boxercising.
                              Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8607 users online. 300 members and 8307 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X