300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California POST academies

Hello, I have a question about the academies throughout the state. I'm a military veteran/Marine and would like to put myself through the POST academy. I have service related knee injuries and would like to find an academy that doesn't run recruits/cadets to death. I'm not looking for the easiest route, just one that would give me the greatest opportunity of completion without further damaging my knees. I currently run a 8:31 mile and 13:46 mile and half. I can pass any department PAT but am uncertain if my knees will hold up for daily distance runs through academy. Any comments or information will be greatly appreciated. I just want to continue to serve my community and fulfill my dream of being a police officer.

Food For Thought

Putting yourself through an academy is not only time consuming, but expensive. Before doing so, you may want to check and see if your knee injuries are such that they would disqualify you from employment with most California agencies.

Print out http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Musculo.pdf These are California’s ortho standards for law enforcement applicants.

Take them to your ortho physician and have him review them. Then ask him to imagine that he is the police department’s doctor, who is being paid to represent their interests and not yours. Knowing what he does about your medical condition, ask him if he would pass or disqualify you based on those standards.

That will give you an idea of whether you may be tossing money down the drain by putting yourself through an academy with knee problems.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks. I have been through the hiring process before and have passed the medical physical. I'm just wanting assurance for myself to choose the right academy.

Comment

I'd afraid my info on self sponsored academies is dated. The last I heard (many years ago) was that Modesto used to be one of the less strenuous self sponsoreds. (They used to call it the fat boy's academy.) Don't know if that is still true.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Okay, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tameka.fuller.5 View Post
            Thanks. I have been through the hiring process before and have passed the medical physical. I'm just wanting assurance for myself to choose the right academy.
            But you didn't get hired.----It really doesn't matter what the agency told you-----------I'll wager your knee had an impact on the hiring process

Getting hired as a cop with a significant knee injury history is going to be close to a miracle. I am talking real life here not dreaming.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I was hired. And declined for personal reasons.

Comment

I have a surgically repaired clavicle and twice repaired torn ACL (same knee). Do you think that would hurt my chances? I run fine and have snowboarded on the knee and have no problem hitting the gym.

Comment

ANY pre-existing condition can fail you. Your knee is unstable for LE and may preclude you. My agency wouldn't take a risk on the knee.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

what agency are you with?

Comment

Hello All! Long time lurker here.

As a Marine myself I can tell you that most all academies in California run a substantial amount and what makes a difference is not the miles, but the terrain where the runs take place. Having said that, the academy I went through included a substantial amount of CrossFit workouts into its Physical Fitness Program. Their goal is to get you to be at a sub 8-minute mile as required by P.O.S.T. Based on some curiosity-based research I've noticed most California academies are going the route of CrossFit integration, however as you may probably know CrossFit can be just as bad as running for your body.

In the end if you really want to put yourself through it go ahead. I think actually going through the academy will be the true test as to whether you will endure it or not. Know this, if you put yourself through and get hurt there will be no second chances.

Comment

Originally posted by gochan View Post
                        what agency are you with?
                        Best to ask this type of question via private message.

Comment

Originally posted by sanitizer View Post
                          Best to ask this type of question via private message.
                          Got it. Thank you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5511 users online. 311 members and 5200 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X