Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible time at the shooting range!

Hello,

Just wondering how many of you LEO's have shot horrible at a firearms qualification? I don't consider myself a great shot, but I am definitely not as bad as I was today.

Anyway, several things were reviewed, but I'm still really bummed about it. Have any of you ever experienced this? I am wondering if a lack of sleep has anything to do with it.

I'm just hoping that with some practice, the next round won't be so embarassing!

Mark

The night before I went to firearms instructor school I went to the range. I was terrible. It was very discouraging, but when I got to the class I was shooting fine and passed. Its like everything else sometimes you have bad days. Just listen to your instructors they are there to get you through. But take this advice don't listen to anyone who is not a firearms instructor about ur shooting. You'll be fine.
    "This $hit is chess not checkers" - Best advice I ever got on this job.

Comment

Alot of factors can come into play. I shot really bad, then later went to the eye doctor and found out I needed stronger glasses. Keep practicing, stop beating yourself up. I actually get training from an independent instructor. Best thing I ever did. Last time I was at the depts range there were about 50 people trying to shoot and two rather moody instructors. Not conducive to improving my score.

P.S. I'm not a firearms instructor, but wanted to add my .2 cents
      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Some days you are the hammer and some days you are the nail.

I LOVE to shoot--------------------I HATE to qualify. Two vastly different scenarios
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I have never had a problem qualifying, but I have had off days. Dont let them get you down. The best way to get better at shooting is to shoot....with proper form (not saying you are not, but repeating bad habits can be counterproductive).

Comment

I recall my worst scores was when it was very cold, with a strong wind. I hate cold. I grew up in TX, have been in KS a long time. Now retired I want to move back, but my wife is from here and won't move. Sorry for getting off topic, my worst shooting is in the cold.

Comment

My worst range day(s) were when we transitioned from the S&W Mdl 19 to the Glock. I shot Distinguished Expert with the Smith. In my first few runs with the the Glock, I couldn't even keep all the rounds on the paper. 'Bout a thousand rounds later, I got my expert status back. The instructors told me the top revolver shooters had the most problems, those at the bottom of the list, the fewest.

Comment

I bolo all the time. Maybe that's why they made me the firearms instructor. All kidding aside, the most common issue I see when folks bolo when shooting for record is when they're nervous. Many ways to overcome this. Some listen to music from a media player under their ear pro, others simply get more practice before shooting for record. Others have their "pre qualification" rituals. One lady does "Tai Chi" and another guy looks at pictures of his cat on his smart phone. I really don't care what they do to prepare for their record shoot, as long as they don't injure anyone, don't waste my time, and identify another instructor as their trainer if they bolo.

Keep your focus on the front sight, relax, and you should do fine. Good luck!
                Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

When I went to the academy 40 some odd years ago there were two guys in class who had been life long buddies. One could qualify as expert and the other could barely hit the paper. Whenever we went to the range they always managed to shoot next to each other.

When the expert managed to get enough on paper to qualify, he started shooting on his buddy's target to make sure he qualified as well.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13753 users online. 466 members and 13287 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X