300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARIDE vs DRE

Just took my ARIDE course last week and still have a question. I know with ARIDE I can now say I have the "training and experience" to detect DUI Drug cases and successfully arrest them. My question then is, why have a DRE?

If I hook someone up for DUI Drugs and I think they are under the influence of cannabis, and they take a urine test and it tests positive for cannabis, why the need for DRE? Am I missing something here?
    Last edited by wildlife97; 06-02-2013, 09:50 AM.

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
    Just took my ARIDE course last week and still have a question. I know with ARIDE I can now say I have the "training and experience" to detect DUI Drug cases and successfully arrest them. My question then is, why have a DRE?

If I hook someone up for DUI Drugs and I think they are under the influence of cannabis, and they take a urine test and it tests positive for cannabis, why the need for DRE? Am I missing something here?

A DRE is ARIDE on steroids. Basically, ARIDE can say "this guy is high" while a DRE can say "This guy is high on a CNS Depressant..." DRE's can determine which of the 7 categories of drugs are psychoactive at the time of the evaluation. DRE's have the training to be admitted as an expert witness in many jurisdictions, thus giving weight to, and allowing them to testify to our opinion as to whether the person was under the influence.

Example, you say a subject is under the influence of Cannabis, blood comes back positive, but Cannabis metabolites can stick around for months. I could come in, as a DRE, and say he was under the influence, at the time time of the eval, because of this, this, and that.

Comment

I went to ARIDE last year. If memory serves me correctly, DRE's are the only ones who can order the suspect to submit a urinalysis based strictly on their observations. We (ARIDE grads) can determine impairment and arrest accordingly but we cannot order the suspect to submit a urinalysis.

Not every court recognizes the DRE program so its not entirely true that they are expert witnesses. But at the very least they are a very competent witness.
      Never ask a man if he served in the Marine Corps! If he earned the title "Marine" he will tell you, if he didn't, there is no need to embarrass him.

Comment

Originally posted by Re-Birth View Post
        I went to ARIDE last year. If memory serves me correctly, DRE's are the only ones who can order the suspect to submit a urinalysis based strictly on their observations. We (ARIDE grads) can determine impairment and arrest accordingly but we cannot order the suspect to submit a urinalysis.
        I definitely did not hear that. In fact the instructor was telling us how to get the urine/blood sample.

Besides, I am a federal LEO and under the federal laws I operate under I can decide whether the person I arrest for DUI is tested for blood, breath, urine, or saliva or a mixture of those tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Re-Birth View Post

Not every court recognizes the DRE program so its not entirely true that they are expert witnesses. But at the very least they are a very competent witness.
          Any officer that makes a DUI arrest can compel blood/urine/breath from that subject, based on states implied consent laws. DRE's are not special in that sense. I never said every court admits a DRE as an expert, but that we have the training to admitted as an expert witness...each officer will be evaluated by the court before being allowed to testify as such.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5562 users online. 209 members and 5353 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X