300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Firearms Training in the New York Area

Hi to everyone out there. I'm a new PO and I am trying to find some good firearms training courses either in NY or the surrounding states. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

What do you mean a new PO?
    New York City Department of Correction and US Army. 🇺🇸

Comment

Google courses. NRA and MDT gives some at the range in Nassau. Freeport Range holds IDPA matches.

Comment

I'm an NRA Instructor, basic pistol, inside the home, outside the home basic and then oth advanced. I also train officers with a F.A.T.S system, I do private groups, 1 on 1 and what not.. indsim.com, but your looking at about 5 days for all the above and it tends to get a bit pricey..

Comment

If you're trying to find an actual training facility or individual, make sure you do research before hand, and make sure they have their credentials. There are a LOT of people out there teaching courses, not all of them should be...

You could also get into competitive shooting, it's a lot of fun and really helps develop your skills. I personally shoot USPSA (B-Class Single Stack), but there's also IDPA, 3-Gun, and more.

Go to the main USPSA website (just google it) and then click on find clubs, and type in your zip-code, you'll be able to view any clubs around your area. You can do the same for IDPA and 3-Gun.

Comment

+1

Spend as much time doing research as the length of the class/course your going to take or more! If practical, go visit the facility and person who will be conducting the training. Check references as well, when anyone asks me for references, I have both private and gov't agencies/personnel contact info on a word document. I encourage people to call, a good instructor will be eager to have you talk to others who have taken courses or trained with them!

Comment

thanks guys i appreciate all of the info. Im going to look at some of the uspsa clubs in the area. Have any of you taken any active shooter or patrol oriented trainings?

Comment

Xioti, I'm all about training. Pm me for websites!

Comment

I'm pretty stoked, I'll be shooting a USPSA match with Bob Vogel later this month.

Type in Vogel Dynamics or his name. You should find someone like him, who is both a world-class competitive shooter and a police officer! I'm sure as heck going to pick his brain.

Comment

Check out the Master Instructor Development course from IALEFI. The courses are taught by active or retired local/state leo's. It's a 3 day course for $305 (non-member) and they instruct you on the pistol, rifle and shotgun. You don't have to be a firearms instructor to attend and it will help you regardless of your skill level. Don't know if any of the locations are close to you but the training and the networking make it a good course for the money.
                    Check it out at: www.IALEFI.com

Comment

Originally posted by Xioti View Post
                      Hi to everyone out there. I'm a new PO and I am trying to find some good firearms training courses either in NY or the surrounding states. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.
                      If you are an active LEO and resides on Long Island, I can guide you to various firearms training done here on Long Island.

NYSDHSES runs active shooter training up in Oriskany NY area few times a month. Free training and lodging for active LEO within NYS.

There will be an Advanced and Extreme Close Quarter Pistol Course for LEO in June at a local agency and one extreme pistol combat run by a private company (instructors are all prior military/LEOs).

If interested, send me a PM and will provide you with more info.
                      Last edited by M1garand; 05-21-2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I am a certifed Law Enforcemet instructor. I am retired from the courts and I teach in the NYC/LI area at various ranges.
                        If you are interested contact me at 718 610 9698

Comment

I am not sure where on Long Island you are, but I took an excellent course at the Essex County College Police Academy in NJ. It was called tactical handgun level one. I am a firearms instructor and it was one of the better courses I have attended. It was $50, at the indoor academy range. You need to supply your own rounds (500). I am not sure if that would be to far for you or not, but good luck. Check with you area police academies I am sure they have some kind of in service training.
                          "This $hit is chess not checkers" - Best advice I ever got on this job.

Comment

Essex county-been there for a few LEO courses. Not a bad drive, 45 minutes from my house and I live on the border of Nassau and Queens. I might go to the BlackRock training next month but SouthHampton is an 1hr and half from me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9240 users online. 393 members and 8847 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X