300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Training Officers Thread

Ok I think this will be a thread for new FTOs to ask questions, give examples, or ask for help. I started training myself when I was only off of training myself for two months and never went to a FTO class and wish I would have had something then. Because honsetly my first trainee was the most jacked up and would have tried to get him let go and I had the captain that would have done it. He was jacked up then and years later he is still jacked up. After 8 training trainees across 8 different training cycles I am more experianced and wiser.

So all of you that are just starting to train or run across a situation that need assitance let us know and I am sure there are some of us with experiance or who have run across the same thing that can help you.

Also to all the FTOs out there lets share some stories of how jacked up our old trainees use to or still are fouled things up.

You may have had a better experience had you not been a rookie yourself, training another rookie. But some rookies are just bricks, and will continue to be until they get fired or retire (or promoted). In order to be an FTO in my department you have to be off of probation for a year, have no open IA cases, be nominated by a supervisor, interview, then be accepted and complete FTO school (1 really boring week).

I was really lucky, as I have heard and seen the horror stories. I trained 5, 4 were real squared away, 1 wasn't bad, he just wasn't very aggressive. I am on a specialized unit now so I do not train anymore but I must say that it was rewarding and frustrating at the same time.

That being said, there is no single more important person in a police officer's career than their FTO. Being an FTO is something that you have to want to do. For you perspective FTOs out there, it is a lot of work, and a lot of responsibility. If you don't want to do it, do yourself and your new officer a favor and DON'T DO IT, they will find someone else.
    Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
    To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

They let you be an FTO after only being a cop for 2 months! When was that 1965?
      "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Originally posted by livehistory View Post
        Ok I think this will be a thread for new FTOs to ask questions, give examples, or ask for help. I started training myself when I was only off of training myself for two months and never went to a FTO class and wish I would have had something then. Because honsetly my first trainee was the most jacked up and would have tried to get him let go and I had the captain that would have done it. He was jacked up then and years later he is still jacked up. After 8 training trainees across 8 different training cycles I am more experianced and wiser.

So all of you that are just starting to train or run across a situation that need assitance let us know and I am sure there are some of us with experiance or who have run across the same thing that can help you.

Also to all the FTOs out there lets share some stories of how jacked up our old trainees use to or still are fouled things up.
        Did you gig him on jacking up spelling in reports? LOL

Sorry I had to slip one in there Seriously I'm only pointing them out because it appears to be repetitive which indicates a lack of the true spelling of the word. We all have words here and there we mess up but if no one points it out to you then you just keep spelling it how you have been.

BTW, that was insane to have a rookie training a rookie. That opens a dept up to absolute liability
        Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Yeah sorry about the spelling errors. I typed it up on my cell. But yeah I thought it was pretty crazy too when I started training. There has always been a high turn over rate at my PD that why the rookies train the rookies. I was picked by my shift commander to train because of the confidence he had in me, so I was told and it wasnt until I finishing training my fourth trainee did they finally send me through an FTO school. I totally agree about how important an FTO is to an officer's career. That is where an officer finds the traits of what kind of officer he does and doesn't want to be. Thats why I thought it would be important to start a thread like this.

Comment

I am a new FTO (started FTO-ing our new deputy on the 1st)...it's an interesting experience but I enjoy teaching and the guy is really cool so that helps out A LOT. Going to be watching this and other threads pretty closely for tips and such.
            Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

I'm a new FTO as well. Are there an other threads on the site regarding this topic? I couldn't track any down in the search function.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5896 users online. 319 members and 5577 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X