Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUI Training Presentation

Hey Everyone,

I was just asked to give a presentation on New Jersey DUI to a class of about 40 children ages 12-15. From what I understand, the class consists of Police Explorers or a citizens type police academy audience, and I wanted to get some suggestions on what I should teach. More specifically, how to present the material to that type of audience. I can talk about how I perform a DUI stop...ie, observations I make to create PC for a stop...making contact with the driver...and explaining how I perform the FST's, what they are, etc. I just want to make sure I cover enough material to fill the 30 min time slot. It's kinda easy to DO the work...but trying to explain it in a forum is a little different for me. I was wondering if anyone had a course outline they would be willing to share with me?

I would really appreciate your help.

Originally posted by wirelesscop View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I was just asked to give a presentation on New Jersey DUI to a class of about 40 children ages 12-15. From what I understand, the class consists of Police Explorers or a citizens type police academy audience, and I wanted to get some suggestions on what I should teach. More specifically, how to present the material to that type of audience. I can talk about how I perform a DUI stop...ie, observations I make to create PC for a stop...making contact with the driver...and explaining how I perform the FST's, what they are, etc. I just want to make sure I cover enough material to fill the 30 min time slot. It's kinda easy to DO the work...but trying to explain it in a forum is a little different for me. I was wondering if anyone had a course outline they would be willing to share with me?

I would really appreciate your help.
    I have had the privilege of doing what you are about to do and am happy to offer the following advice:

Keep on track, keep them engaged and stick to the time allotted. As a general outline, I offer the following, which would more than fill a 30 minute period.

1. Introduction: Who you are, a brief summary of your experience and a welcome to attendees. 3-5 mins.

2. Overview: A quick overview of your presentation and any ground rules that may apply. 1-2 mins.

For a subject like DUI enforcement, I would break it into a few short blocks lasting about 5 minutes.

A. What is DUI, generally. Explain the law and consequences but avoid too much depth.

B. Provide some current statistics about DUI: arrests, accidents, injuries, etc.

C. Highlight any notable DUI cases from the area; take into account local sensitivities and impact.

D. Explain what the police do to detect DUI: explain the field sobriety tests, portable breath test and breathalyzer. I have given a bit of depth to explain SFST to younger groups but avoided it for adults due to the potential to de-evolve into a debate.

E. Discuss any targeted enforcement activity done in the area and why: correlation of holidays and increased DUI cases. If you have a BAT mobile or a DUI enforcement unit, explain what they do and why.

F. Discuss the arrest and legal process following a DUI case. Keep it to the audience level.

For ground rules, those will be entirely up to you but should make clear that the presentation and subsequent Q & A is not a forum to debate the merits of the law, particular cases or personalities. Make clear that the presentation (dependent on the audience) is for general information only and does not reflect the full scope of the departments DUI program.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Sgt. Jon,

Thanks so much for the information! You definitely gave me some things to consider. The PowerPoint I put together is still a work in progress... I am going to change some things after reading your suggestions! Thanks again!

Comment

Can you borrow some fatal Vision goggles from another dept and actually put some of the kids through a field sobriety test?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4485 users online. 232 members and 4253 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X