Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPCT class for non-leo near Pittsburgh.

Hello, I hope I am not over stepping my bounds by posting in this part of the forums but after getting my PA armed security officer certification I am interested in taking the full PPCT class beyond the basic points that my class covered. I am currently working doing event security am am often times unarmed and in situations where I encounter combative individuals and I am forced to restrain them before the police arrive (think drunks at football games, or concerts). I would like to take the class to better prepare myself for these situations, as well as advancing my own skills as I apply for LEO jobs.

If anyone has any information or suggestions of how I should go about this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

First you probably need to check with the company you do security for and see what there policy is on use of force by security guards. Some companies don't want you to do anything but be a deterrent and a set of eyes. Also what does your local laws say about use of force to make an arrest by a citizen or use of force to remove a trespasser?
    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Originally posted by JDCOP View Post
      First you probably need to check with the company you do security for and see what there policy is on use of force by security guards. Some companies don't want you to do anything but be a deterrent and a set of eyes. Also what does your local laws say about use of force to make an arrest by a citizen or use of force to remove a trespasser?
      Sound advice. Our use of force policy is to wait for the police unless the actor is causing a threat to you, another patron, or the event itself (i.e. throwing objects onto the playing field). After that they are taken to a special area in the venue where a report is taken by 1. my company 2. the venue and 3. the police. So legally we are afforded a considerable amount of leeway especially when if they continue to resist they are simply charged with criminal trespass charges which is a felony in PA affording full citizens arrest powers.

I basically would like to take the class because I have been in too many situations where I respond to a situation that seems to be non-violent and as soon as security shows up it becomes violent and the guy gives me an f-off followed by a right hook. I would just like to be better prepared for this in the future, as well as to better my skills as I apply for LEO jobs.

Comment

I'm a PPCT instructor in PA and I can tell you that most instructors only instruct sworn officers. I'd be wary of working for a company without a use of force policy.
        "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

Our use of force policy is actually very complex. Most of our policy is directly from NFL security standards which we carry over to other venues because it is a good policy. We continue on to make it so that only supervisors can use any part of the force continuum beyond initial vocal commands, unless it is self defense. Our use of force against a patron 90% of the time is pure self-defense or defense of others. Not following the use of force policy can subject you to action by the NFL as well as the usual civil and criminal penalties. NFL action is generally whatever they feel fit with little due process.

I was afraid that most PPCT instructors would only do a class with sworn officers. Do you have any alternatives to PPCT that you would suggest POSr?

Comment

Alternatives to PPCT?

Anything. PPCT is crap. It works in a controlled environment with a compliant test dummy, that's it. None of it is particularly useful in the field. I feel I should get a refund from my academy for that block. Knee strikes to the thigh... oh yeah, that is just awesome against someone determined to fight the police *rolls eyes*....

If you are interested in self defense. Just find a martial art you are willing to stick with and practice that.

Comment

I could easily learn everything that I would ever want to know about Aikido, Ju-Jitsu or Kyusho from a friend who has been teaching it for 30 years. I was kind of hoping to take some of the more accepted practices that are taught in the academies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11220 users online. 450 members and 10770 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X