Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnDoeCop
    replied
    I just became an OC Instructor today, wasn't that fun. Luckily it was a windy day and pretty cool. I think having the wind helps more than anything else.

Leave a comment:

• lalakai
    replied
    we just used buckets and lots of running water. for some reason, biggest issue with several of us, was just being able to breathe (we used the spray and took direct face). If you get into the "breathing" issue, try talking at the same time as breathing. Not sure why, but it helped and allowed us to breathe easier. lol expect for one of us. he reacted so badly that we nearly called medics for him.

Leave a comment:

• ReserveRod
    replied
    i dont know it it helped , i dont think it really did but i tried the shampoo dawn mix. hard part was to stay calm long enough to find it, and apply it.
    glad its over!

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoeCop
    replied
    I've had it 5 times and the best thing I've used is the baby shampoo and a hose. I will caution against placing a bucket of water out, our instructors did this in NM. The problem was that it was Aug and 105 degrees outside.

Leave a comment:

• JayDubya
    replied
    Not really.

Leave a comment:

• JayDubya
    replied
    Use lye soap. The lye instantly counteracts the effects of the oleoresin capsicum.

Leave a comment:

• TPM
    replied
    Baby shampoo, and fresh water.

Use an eye wash or sprinkler attached to a hose.

I'm an OC instructor Trainer.

Leave a comment:

• BigBird
    replied
    Baby shampoo/milk works pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• ReserveRod
    replied
    so we get sprayed this weekend. has anyone tried the saber cleanse/soothe product combo? is it worth the $$$. or is the dawn/baby shampoo mix work just as good?

Leave a comment:

• davebsd
    replied
    50/50 mix of liquid maalox/water.

Doesn't do much for your skin, but washes the pain right out of your eyes.

Leave a comment:

• apcinnga
    replied
    Originally posted by dtimoney View Post
    For our OC training, I was exposed to the fog. It basically covered my face and upper shoulders and shirt with the Sabre Orange color. We only got a few minutes with the hose and we were sent away to go run around.

I ended up taking off my shirt and the OC basically gave me a sunburn on my exposed skin. Upper arms, Neck, Upperchest witht the t-shirt line. Basically a really bad farmer's tan. I used dawn soap and milk in a large water bottle, but it was not nearly enough.

Best part is. All my partners said I got hit the worst (I was first and was caked in the fog) but they said I handled it the best, as I was helping others who were panicking. Never wanna do it again.
    My last time I got the fog. the instructor said he was doing us a favor by spraying us with the fog. I thought to myself the fog goes everywhere. I kept getting hit with the overspray everytime someone else got exposed. I was the third one in line to get exposed. Then I got it 12 more times. everytime I got to where I can open my eyes, here came the fog. it burned the hell out of my neck.

Leave a comment:

• dtimoney
    replied
    For our OC training, I was exposed to the fog. It basically covered my face and upper shoulders and shirt with the Sabre Orange color. We only got a few minutes with the hose and we were sent away to go run around.

I ended up taking off my shirt and the OC basically gave me a sunburn on my exposed skin. Upper arms, Neck, Upperchest witht the t-shirt line. Basically a really bad farmer's tan. I used dawn soap and milk in a large water bottle, but it was not nearly enough.

Best part is. All my partners said I got hit the worst (I was first and was caked in the fog) but they said I handled it the best, as I was helping others who were panicking. Never wanna do it again.

Leave a comment:

• apcinnga
    replied
    Originally posted by TNFarmerJim View Post
    I have a good friend that is a deputy in East Tennesse. He told me to do something similar. Take a bottle of Johnson's baby shampoo pour about half out and set aside. Mix one third sugar with water and mix with the shampoo. Use this to rinse your eyes out. He told me it works great. Has anyone heard of this idea? I'm sure I will get my exposure in the near future. Had a chemical splash in my face called Lemon Quat, was told the OC was about the same, of course the LQ blinded me for about four days...No fun.
    I'm glad to see your are recovering from the LQ exposure. I read the spec sheet and I would not want to get exposed to LQ.

Leave a comment:

• TNFarmerJim
    replied
    PPE's were available and required in other areas of the facility. No procedures were in place for the use of lemon quat. We basically had an area were large containers of concentrate were stored. Lines were hooked to the containers so deluted versions could be used storewide. I had a co-worker trying to open the top of a container. Me, being nice, offered to help open it. The container seemed pressurized and "POPPED" in my face. Instantly I was blinded. My co-worker helped me immediately to the eyewash station. That was back in January. I have since recovered fully. There was an investigation by the company that supplied the chemical and revisions made to include the use of PPE's when using Lemon Quat. I take it you are familiar with this chemical. Not sure how it compares to OC, somehow I don't think it could hurt any worse. I would not wish that on my worst enemy.

Leave a comment:

• valvestem
    replied
    I am glad to hear you are on the road to recovery of your injury.

On another note, were there prodedures in effect for issues like this at your work place, and did they have a policy to mandatorily wear chemical safety googles/splash shield while handling the Lemon Quat? And were you educated in handling the chemical and trained in the use of the PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and have the equipment readily available before handling the chemical? If not, you may have a case where a legal person should be consulted. If all the above mentioned equipment, procedures and education were given and available to you, and you did not follow policy, you know the rest.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5210 users online. 284 members and 4926 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X