Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Krav Maga Experience so far GOOD or bad??

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Krav Maga Experience so far GOOD or bad??

If you are currently learning/training in Krav Maga how has your experience been so far practicing it?? Have you had to use it??

Since Krav Maga Worldwide is POST Certified now - Has any of your Dept's started using it yet??

Speaking for my self my experience has been good great work out and most techniques realistic.
    sigpicTrain Hard!!! Fight Smart

I'm going to bump this because I'm curious as well... I'm looking at starting classes when/if I can get hired!

Comment

Never took any classes on it. Several years ago a KM guy came into our MMA gym. I rolled with him and he was useless on his back. I do not feel that a style should be judged by my one encounter with a KM person.
      Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

I dabbled in BJJ before my real LE career started, and learned Koga for arrest/control in the academy. I've never directly learned Krav Maga, but I've seen it performed. I doubt you'll see a whole lot of agencies change over to it, unless they have newer, younger use of force instructors. Otherwise the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" mentality will take over.

Comment

we implement some of the basic KM techniques in our academy...ive thought about taking lessons
          Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzination View Post
            I dabbled in BJJ before my real LE career started, and learned Koga for arrest/control in the academy. I've never directly learned Krav Maga, but I've seen it performed. I doubt you'll see a whole lot of agencies change over to it, unless they have newer, younger use of force instructors. Otherwise the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" mentality will take over.
            I see you are from Socal. I had to take a Koga class at Rio Hondo and it was totaly useless for fighting. What did you think of the Koga training.
            Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

We started training our officers in Krav a few years ago and they love it...Many of them wanted more training than what they recieved at the police academy. If you can take classes on your own it will definately help you stay in shape and fluid with the techniques.

Comment

I am a fan of Krav Maga for myself, I come from a striking background and a BJJ background. Recently, i did a test run with recruits on a version of some Krav gun takeaways. These particular ones focus on striking while disarming to distract and disrupt the attacker. the problem is even though we spend a lot of time developing our recruits striking and footwork, when it comes down to it, their striking for the most part is horrible.
                Krav to me seems very athletic based, and although we still do see some athletic people entering our academy, unfortunately there are more that are indoor kids. Its just getting tougher and tougher to pass on skills

Comment

Krav is great. I learned it in the academy and have kept with it. There is a lot of technique on weapon defenses and other le related tactics. I also like that the gyms in my area have started implementing crossfit into the program. They are a natural fit and if you've never tried crossfit you should...it will kick your *****.

Comment

Wanted to look into but didn't have the time. Maybe I'll look into it again in the near future. One of the things I didn't like is that I don't think the classes are restricted to law enforcement, so who knows who your really working with...
                    The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by MRRBEST View Post
                      Wanted to look into but didn't have the time. Maybe I'll look into it again in the near future. One of the things I didn't like is that I don't think the classes are restricted to law enforcement, so who knows who your really working with...
                      The Force Training Division courses are LE-only.

My bad. MILITARY/LE-only.
                      Last edited by Sgt. Slaughter; 03-11-2009, 09:22 PM.
                      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                        The Force Training Division courses are LE-only.

My bad. MILITARY/LE-only.
                        Hmm, good to know, will have to look into it further then.
                        The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

As for the BJJ guy - As for myself (LEO) I would hate to go to the ground. I do alot of anti-takedown techniques that are part of Krav Maga which are taught at higher level classes. You also have to remember we train with no rules in mind. With that said realistically if you were to take me down which I bet you could I would probably punch/& or kick you in the groing immediately!!! I work with alot of officers that train lots of different styles of martial arts and I think mine is pretty sucessfull for me at least. If you trust your style and trust yourself doing the art it will work for you regardless of the style that it is.
                          sigpicTrain Hard!!! Fight Smart

Comment

My style implements BJJ, Ryu Ku Kenpo (pressure point manipulation), and Muay Thai. With that being said I would love to learn Krav Maga. I think as a LEO it benefits us greatly. Alot of unarmed defense and take aways which goes to back to the basics. You want to be good at Unarmed techniques as well. With Krav Maga ggetting bigger here in the US I imagine it will be easier to find classes. How can you not like a martial arts formed by Israeli Special Forces?!?!?! Its awesome
                            We the people...

Comment

I just finished my instructor class, and it was very intense, very intuitive, real world training.

I'm already an instructor in another discipline, was trained in the academy in a third, but Krav is superior to the other two.

You have to be in shape.... If your a LEO and your not in shape, as a blanket statement... You shouldn't be a LEO...

I know, I know, different indiviual problems for different LEO's....

All I know is I need competent, in-shape back-up. PERIOD.

I would recommend Krav to any LEO.

Enough said.
                              Be safe pulling back into the thread...
                              http://infidelswithhonor.com/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10335 users online. 509 members and 9826 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X