Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Master's Degree - Distance Learning. Suggestions?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master's Degree - Distance Learning. Suggestions?

I'm looking at continuing my education and pursuing my master's degree.

Does anyone have suggestions for accredited schools that offer distance learning (online) programs related to criminal justice? I don't think I want a master's in criminal justice degree specifically, as they tend to be a "dime a dozen" these days, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Stay safe.

American Military University

I'm two classes away from my master's in Criminal Justice at AMU and it's been a great experience. The courses are condensed and straightforward and most of the instructors/student body also work in the field. There are no specific requirements for entrance into the program and you will come out with a fully accredited degree. Not bad for 10k!

Comment

You can check out UW Platteville, I have heard their program is pretty good. I went there for my undergrad (not online), and have been considering getting a Masters from them as well in a few years.

Comment

Working on my master's in CJ from University of Cincinnati, online. I choose them because their campus degrees for CJ are considered top notch.
        "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." --Dave Grossman

Comment

I got mine at Boston University.

Great program. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to tell you about it.

Comment

Accreditation

Finishing my BA at Troy University. Southern Association of Colleges (SAC) accredited. One of the requirements with the state of Georgia is that the job force of hiring will only accept SAC's accredited schools. Yes, they also take other named colleges however, only about a handful of online colleges are SAC accredited.

There are so many "accredited" online colleges however, only a few are accepted in the work force of the world. Double check with whatever you are appling the degree to and make sure they will accept it. If they will take whatever, I would find the quickest and easiest.

I know in Georgia the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, State Patrol, Parole or any other state job will laugh in your face if you take them an Phoneix online degree or anything similar in accreditation.

As for Troy they offer several Masters degrees. They are a little proud of their degrees so expect to spend. www.troy.edu
            "People may not know what we say here tonight...but by God they'll remember what we do"

Comment

Originally posted by pithwp View Post
              Finishing my BA at Troy University. Southern Association of Colleges (SAC) accredited. One of the requirements with the state of Georgia is that the job force of hiring will only accept SAC's accredited schools. Yes, they also take other named colleges however, only about a handful of online colleges are SAC accredited.

There are so many "accredited" online colleges however, only a few are accepted in the work force of the world. Double check with whatever you are appling the degree to and make sure they will accept it. If they will take whatever, I would find the quickest and easiest.

I know in Georgia the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, State Patrol, Parole or any other state job will laugh in your face if you take them an Phoneix online degree or anything similar in accreditation.

As for Troy they offer several Masters degrees. They are a little proud of their degrees so expect to spend. www.troy.edu
              Troy university is REGIONALLY accredited by SAC (Southern Association of Colleges), and American Military University is REGIONALLy accredited by NCA (North Central Association of Colleges). THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN ACCREDITATION OF THESE SCHOOLS-THEY ONLY HAVE DIFFERENT NAMES BECAUSE OF WHERE THE SCHOOLS ARE CONSIDERED TO PHYSICALLY RESIDE. BOTH SCHOOLS HAVE REGIONAL ACCREDITATION THAT IS RECOGNIZED BY THE US DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION. THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS ASSURED THESE FACTS AND IT IS NOT THAT DIFFICULT TO RESEARCH.

Saying that the state of Georgia will not recognize degrees from other regions of the country is completely inaccurate and utterly ridiculous. That would mean that the GBI/State Patrol would not recognize degrees from schools like Notre Dame, WHICH IS ALSO REGIONALLY ACCREDITED BY THE NCA!

THE KEY TO DEGREES IS MAKING SURE THAT THEY ARE REGIONALLY ACCREDITED. Some online schools are not, but nowadays, most distance programs have earned the same accredition as brick and mortar schools.

Irresponsible statements like the one quoted confuse people even further and scare people into paying ridiculous amounts of money for big name schools that produce the same end results-a regionally accredited degree. Don't let ignorant statements fool you, do the research yourself and take everything you here from random people with a grain of salt!

Comment

You can look at the following schools, all are online and all are accredited.

Kaplan
                Columbia Southern
                Mountain State
                Charter Oak
                National university
                Bellevue University

I received my BS from Bellevue Un, it is recommended by FBI-LEEDA and they have a great online program.
                Last edited by ICE Offcr; 12-10-2008, 11:28 AM. Reason: update

Comment

I will second Troy University. Not exactly cheap and you will have to work for it, but when it's all said and done you will have accomplished something. Regional accreditation too.

Comment

Norwich is a tough program, but a great school. i am looking at their "Conflict resolution" MS.

M-11
                    “All men dream...... But not equally..
                    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

+1 on the Cincinnati IF you were to decide on a CJ
                      it is accredited and is considered one of the better programs..... the online program is easy to use
                      My wife is finishing thier educational leadership online right now....
                      Draw back is that it is only a CJ degree and not a PA or MBOL or something....
                      "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good" Romans 12:21

Comment

I got mine through Norwich University (Masters of Justice Administration). I looked at Univ of Cincinnati and Boston Univ. but if I remember correctly, Norwich was a little bit cheaper. GREAT program...I would recommend it to anyone. It definately isn't a push over or diploma mill that's for sure, and I'm not just saying that because they took $36k from me.

And I'm not bashing any of the other schools, because I know some people who went to AMU, Walden, Univ. of Phoenix, etc., but it's been my experience that for some reason they aren't held at the same level as my degree. Maybe its because I'm in a department where there is a lot of veterans who remember the history of Norwich (birthplace of ROTC, former military college, etc). Personally, and this is just me, I would steer clear from a college that doesn't have a physical campus, name recognition, and is known widely as being an "online college".
                        "Saw drunk, arrested same." - J.D. "Buck" Savage

Comment

Kaplan University has five MS-CJ degree program areas. I'll be either enrolling in the MS-Global Justice program there or an MS-Diplomacy program at Norwich University; both of them are online (distance) learning.

I like Kaplan because of the wide variety of emphasis areas, it's tailored for those who know EXACTLY which CJ area they are pursuing. Otherwise, if you're unsure of which CJ profession you want, it's really no different than any other school.

Comment

Originally posted by ICE Offcr View Post
                            You can look at the following schools, all are online and all are accredited.

Kaplan
                            Columbia Southern
                            Mountain State
                            Charter Oak
                            National university
                            Bellevue University

I received my BS from Bellevue Un, it is recommended by FBI-LEEDA and they have a great online program.
                            Columbia College in Missouri is excellent
                            IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
                            -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4977 users online. 351 members and 4626 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X