300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 days till the academy...

I have exactly 90 days until the academy. I've decided to put myself on a very strict diet. The diet includes lots of exercise to make PT & DT a little easier. I was thinking of starting off by doing a 1.5mile run this week and atleast 100 pushups daily. Increasing my running distance every week and the amount of pushups weekly. I WILL be doing atleast 3.5 - 4miles & 250-300pushups daily within the last two weeks prior to the academy. Any tips or suggestions?

Do everything in sets and use GOOD form. 10 GOOD push ups are better than 50 half-@**ed push ups. Build up to better performance...don't cheat yourself. You'll be tempted to, but don't give in even if you're not putting up decent numbers at first. If you can't hit the 3 mile mark right away, walk when you cannot run anymore and then run again until you feel like you're going to give out. ALWAYS push yourself. Oh yeah...and start thinking of a good motto that rhymes with 108 :-)
    "Now you listen here, you tick turd..." - Sheriff Buford T. Justice

Comment

Originally posted by 6StringShooter View Post
      Do everything in sets and use GOOD form. 10 GOOD push ups are better than 50 half-@**ed push ups. Build up to better performance...don't cheat yourself. You'll be tempted to, but don't give in even if you're not putting up decent numbers at first. If you can't hit the 3 mile mark right away, walk when you cannot run anymore and then run again until you feel like you're going to give out. ALWAYS push yourself. Oh yeah...and start thinking of a good motto that rhymes with 108 :-)
      Lmao best advice must have been the last sentence! No one has told me to do that until now. For those that don't know what he's talking about, my academy class is MPI 108.

I just got back from running... was able to do 1.5miles before I got rained on

Comment

God job! That's the PAT distance (If memory serves), so it's a great start. If you can double that, you'll be doing well.

P.S. We got our riding assignments yesterday...guess where I'm going ...by the way, if you need anything sir, just let me know because I'll be patrolling your area...

Originally posted by ERMDPD View Post
        Lmao best advice must have been the last sentence! No one has told me to do that until now. For those that don't know what he's talking about, my academy class is MPI 108.

I just got back from running... was able to do 1.5miles before I got rained on
        "Now you listen here, you tick turd..." - Sheriff Buford T. Justice

Comment

That sounds like a good plan. I'm also doing something similar, and thinking about changing my diet too. Any ideas for good foods to help a small chick bulk up w/o getting fat?

How many people know what they want to do with their life since they learned to talk?

Comment

Don't know about what to eat. I try to avoid bread & rice. I'm drinking atleast 3qrts of water daily, I try to take a gallon. No fast food, beers, or sodas. I've been eating mainly grilled chicken. For breakfast I just eat cereal. Either Special K with some fiber one mixed in or some other cereal (not fruit loops & that stuff).

If you run daily & do your pushups you won't have a problem. I've been doing it 5 days a week since I made this thread & I already see results. When I started running in September I could only do 1/4mile, 1/2mile on a good day before I had to slow it down (1/2mile would take me about 6:30 to do). I was doing to 1.5mile in like 14:30 or 15mins. I haven't timed myself yet but I have notice I can last longer. I ran the mile the other day and at the most I wasted 30secs catching my breathe. I was timing myself yesterday but I got rained on (again) exactly at the 1/2mile point. I was @ 3:47. So I'm feeling good about being able to run the 1.5mile in 13mins entering the academy.

As for pushups I've stuck with my plan. I started off my first week with only doing sets of 20, since it was so long that I did any. I would only do about a 100 a day. Now I'm up to 30 a set (35 when I really push it) and doing 150 a day if I run & if I don't run that day im doing 200. I'm planning to do 200 daily next week or maybe 250. We'll see. I still got 80 days to improve so I should be fine.

Comment

If you want help with push-ups go to this website.

www.hundredpushups.com

I am on week four and have noticed a significant increase.
              "For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother" - Our Call to Arms

Comment

Here is the best tip I can give you. DO NOT STRESS OUT. It sounds like you are preparing well physically so keep it up. Everytime the academy got hard I looked around at all of the guys who made it as cops and I said to myself if so many people can do it so can I.
                Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo* View Post
                  If you want help with push-ups go to this website.

www.hundredpushups.com

I am on week four and have noticed a significant increase.
                  Awesome link, thanks.

Running and push ups are fairly straight forward. Any tips for sit-ups? Or any other things to focus on?

Comment

[QUOTE=ERMDPD;1450294] I was timing myself yesterday but I got rained on (again) exactly at the 1/2mile point.

Get used to getting rained on. Something tells me, when you get to the academy, if it isn't lightning, you'll run in the rain. Besides, it helps keep you cool while running. LEARN to embrace it. It is a mindset.

Comment

Not sure when you are doing your push ups and sit ups in your routine but to test your real endurance, do the push ups and sit ups right after your run. See how that feels. The more you can do when you are beat, the more you will do when you are fresh or have a longer rest between the run and push ups and sit ups.

Good luck, sounds like you are on the right track...

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8714 users online. 408 members and 8306 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                      X