Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPMBA Cyclist Course

Hello all,
    Our department is starting a bike unit (2 bikes). I am considering putting my name in the running for it, but I have some concerns. I can ride my own bike for some distance, 5-10 miles a day when I do ride it. But I have heard the IPMBA course is fairly rigorous and lots of guys get hurt in the course. I am not a young guy, been on the job for close to 14 years. I am not in the best of shape as I have had a few injuries over the years, including knee surgery and recovering from a herniated disc in my back. I can still do the job, I just don't want to take the spot from someone else if those might preclude me.

What exactly does the course entail? I don't want to put in for it and then have issues arise while in the class. Like I said, I have heard people get injured in the class so that is why I asking. I am not sure if the person who told me this was just blowing smoke or was telling the truth.
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

what have you heard about the course/class?

Comment

My Sgt. and I went to our certification in Tallahassee and nobody got hurt in our class. Last year we sent one of our officers to Ocala, Fl. and just the other week one to Palatka, Fl. and I did not hear of anyone getting hurt.

That being said, we have some good mountain bike courses here in florida and there is potential for people to get hurt. I do not know how bad the herniated disc is in your back but I would be a little leary of taking the course. Knee surgery, do not see that being a problem since I had it in 1999 and feel great. If you go be prepared to ride 30+ miles a day.
      illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The herniated disc in my back was pretty serious...I had lost all my reflexes in my left leg. That has now returned, but I am still seeing the chiropractor regularly.

I have heard the class involves alot of jumping off the bike while it is moving to tackle offenders, you also have to "bounce" the bike up a long set of stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by buckethead104 View Post
          I have heard the class involves alot of jumping off the bike while it is moving to tackle offenders, you also have to "bounce" the bike up a long set of stairs.
          this is true. You have to go up stairs, down stairs, obstacle courses, a box and several dismounts (which includes the full speed-arrest)
          illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Does anyone here have the current basic bike patrol lesson plan for IPMBA or LEBA.

I need to get acopy. Any help would be appreciated.
            sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158351 users online. 128 members and 158223 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X