300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 09 HD Motord

Has anyone been hands on with a new HD motor yet?

My squad is trying to get the BMW R1200. We've all ridden it and agreed, for us, it's a better bike. I heard that the 09 HD has some changes that may cement our desicion. The tires are a different size, perhaps to correct the high speed wobble?, but supposedly don't come in run flats. At least not yet. In addition, the exhaust runs under the frame making it vulnerable to curbs. I have'nt seen it for myself yet, anyone confirm these changes and/or advise if good/bad?

If you're talking about the 2009 HD modesl, the net pictures I can find all show the pipes in the normal position and NOT under the frame. Did you mean BMW?

Comment

No, I went to our dealer and saw an '09 RK. The left pipe connects to the right exhaust via a connection under the frame, just in front of the rear tire. Below the frame may be a bad description, it's under the bike and the pipe is flat on the bottom to make it even with the frame. There is no pipe from the rear cylinder on the left side of the engine anymore. Probably due to heat issues.

I called HD in Milwaulkee and was told the frame is new as are the front and rear wheel/tires. The rear tire is HUGE (wide) and the front is 1" taller. The new frame is a definite improvement, I just wished they had done something to protect the kickstand spring. We lose them quite often hopping curbs and that was my concern with the exhaust. I'm trying to get a demo bike to see the effect on handeling the new frame and wheels/tires have. I asked if the changes were to help with high speed instablitiy issues (weave/wobble) and was told it was for cosemetic reasons.

The new frame is certainly cleaner looking.

Comment

Also Dunlop will not supply "runflat" tires, as we know them, in the new size. HD advised they are CHP rated bead retention tires that should stay on the rim if deflated and are the same tires as civilian bikes

Comment

09 pipes

they have changed the way the pipes are however it does not look like it would be a problem with them they are tucked up between the frame and the tire. Which means that the rear suspension it different too.
          sigpic

Comment

http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/police/XB12XP/
            Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by shea193 View Post
              they have changed the way the pipes are however it does not look like it would be a problem with them they are tucked up between the frame and the tire. Which means that the rear suspension it different too.
              Yes, the frame is new as is the swingarm

Comment

Thats a bad joke man.

Comment

09 hd

I was at Orlando Harley today (picking up my bike that broke again). Well I looked at the new 09. Not bad, I feel bad for anyone who is short (me included). The bike is about 1 to 2" taller, the exhaust has plenty of clearance. Other then that it is about the same (no shocker there). I am looking forward to what the 2010 water cooled motors will be like. I am hoping we go to BMW next year when we our motors are being replaced. Maybe the county will bring them to our PD so the Chief can see them.
                  sigpic

Comment

Talked to HD rep today...their motor is emmissions compliant until 2011 so he did'nt think they'd changed to water cooled in '10. But then who knows...I just can't get anyone to answer why the tire/wheel change.

Comment

Originally posted by PB3021 View Post
                      Talked to HD rep today...their motor is emmissions compliant until 2011 so he did'nt think they'd changed to water cooled in '10. But then who knows...I just can't get anyone to answer why the tire/wheel change.
                      I heard the EPA requires all motorcycles be water cooled by 2010 model year. They thing the bigger tires will help the high speed wobble. I guess we will see when it happens
                      sigpic

Comment

Can you post a link? I've been out of the harley game for a few years and am puzzled.

Are you talking about the buell XB Police model? IF so , the exhaust is GTG. Bash it all to hell, it'll hold up.

Comment

Originally posted by shea193 View Post
                          I was at Orlando Harley today (picking up my bike that broke again). Well I looked at the new 09. Not bad, I feel bad for anyone who is short (me included). The bike is about 1 to 2" taller, the exhaust has plenty of clearance. Other then that it is about the same (no shocker there). I am looking forward to what the 2010 water cooled motors will be like. I am hoping we go to BMW next year when we our motors are being replaced. Maybe the county will bring them to our PD so the Chief can see them.
                          Call the local BMW dealer and ask them if they are the LE rep, and if not who is. BMW will bring the bikes out for you to try, you can even make arrangements to keep them for a while and patrol on them to check them out. There are some insurance issues with using them for actual LE work.

Comment

Originally posted by bankfraudguy View Post
                            Can you post a link? I've been out of the harley game for a few years and am puzzled.

Are you talking about the buell XB Police model? IF so , the exhaust is GTG. Bash it all to hell, it'll hold up.
                            No, the touring models have a 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust, with the left side pipe crossing beneath the bike and exiting the left pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG View Post
                              Call the local BMW dealer and ask them if they are the LE rep, and if not who is. BMW will bring the bikes out for you to try, you can even make arrangements to keep them for a while and patrol on them to check them out. There are some insurance issues with using them for actual LE work.
                              Daytona BMW has a new R1200-RT-P demo available, fully equipped (lights and sireen).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4283 users online. 269 members and 4014 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X