Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional Courtesy-out of state traffic

This thread is dead!
    Last edited by Kycop28; 05-13-2008, 06:35 PM. Reason: Too much bickering/insults
    DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

You get that upset over 25 over?

Comment

25mph over the limit in a big SUV with 2 small kids in the car, yeah I think its worth chewin their butt
      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

Depending on where your from officers don't like to be badge and if so not right away. Some guys will write for it and others just wave you on. Kind of hit and miss.
        Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

You did the right thing; hopefully you did slow them down a bit and potentially save lives. If I have my choice between a butt-chewing and a hard-copy; chew away.
          “Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

I do not write or presume to lecture other cops. I make the stop and will inform them of the reason for the stop. If you're out of state I may tell you about the road conditions (unexpected turns, deer, ect..) and any other info that will make the trip easier then its have a safe trip and be safe. Then again I'm corrupt that way (love ya Troop)

I'm making a beer run now if someone wants to start the popcorn

Comment

post-deleted
              Last edited by d10mack; 05-16-2008, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kycop28 View Post
                I am sure this issue has been brought up before but I could not find anything. How much "professional courtesy" do you give an out of state Officer on speeding? I had an incident where I clocked 2 vehicle going 24 and 26mph over the limit on the interstate around 1130pm. Traffic was not heavy, they both pulled over, both produced Police ID's instantly (no FOP or any indication they were cops on vehicle) and the lead car had 2 very small kids in rear in child seats, also both were driving SUV that could flip easily if a sudden sweerve was needed. I basically chewed their ***** at first telling them that the ID was not going to help cause it was BS to go that fast espically with kids in the car and they should be ashamed of themself for even attempting that card. After going back to my car and thinking about it (although cause i thought I had 2 great speeders) , I then gave them both OL back and ID and told then they know as much as I do what would happen in those cars with kids if something were to happen. They apoligized and I sent them on their way. What would YOU do? I know in some states/areas it would not have mattered. Tickets automatically. If I chew ya a new one, I wont cite usually.
                I wouldn't second guess you, you were there, you know better how a warning was recieved than anyone here ... and you know your own enforcement habits and only you will add this to them. It wasn't murder, you do have choices.

At 24 or 26 plus the limit of 65 (here) is 89 or 91, I would have lost no sleep had I wrote both for reckless driving. Could have done it with an absolutely clear conscience myself, no reservations there. The SUVs, and two kids in one of them .... only would make it easier. Out of state cops? What, do the speed limit signs look that much different?

I also was taught early in my career by older troopers when I was just a new pup, "never give a driver both an a55 chewing and a ticket on the same stop", I try to maintain that to this day. An a55 chewing isn't something I am supposed to do, it isn't something I start out to do, it's not something they should have to listen to in addition to getting a ticket so they can get another from a judge. It happens occasionally though. If I loose my cool and do so "chew a55" (not just admonition mind you, not simple explanation of dangers, etc, but a serious "a55 chewing"), I try to smoothly and without any sudden drops in tone, go into warning mode. I too have stopped vehicles for something, maybe lost my cool, went to my car, reflected, and then released on a warning.

No officer can always say or do exactly the right thing all the time, but we can try. It's a part of the job. Even when you do0 it perfect, others will apply their personal thoughts and make judgements to the contrary for a variety of reasons. Your decisions on your stops are yours to make. The law is written. Those two SUV drivers could easily have forseen the likelyhood of being stopped at such high speeds, likewise they have heard stories of others getting tickets or arrested. They could have chosen to simply obey the laws they most assuredly knew someone was charged with the enforcement of. They chose instead to role the dice, 89-91 doesn't come accidently.

And then they got really lucky with you, in more ways than one. I hope they don't "throw it away".

I'm gonna be going west here in a week or so myself, probably go though 10-12 states, and have no plans of drawing any extra attention as I plan to show the utmost in "professional courtesy" all the way out and back ... observing and obeying their laws as I do mine.

Take care .......
                "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

they know they were wong...who are you to lecture them? write them or cut them lose but don't give them a sermon on the shoulder.
                  Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

I like going 30+ so I will make sure to stay out of Kentucky so I don't get executed on the spot. J/K

It is good to be courteous cause you never know who is gona save your life one day.
                    sigpicTrain Hard!!! Fight Smart

Comment

I don't write cops, or lecture them. Not to say that you were wrong, its just personal preference. When you say 25 over, what was the exact speed? I gotta tell you I normally drive 75 on interstates, and it seems that Im just keeping up with the flow of traffic. Situational response to the situational activities.

If you stopped me, I would be ok with the ****chewing. Would also be ok with the citation if I earned it but certainly if given the choice, chew away.... Its usually free.....,

Comment

I am sure this issue has been brought up before but I could not find anything.
                        You gotta be joking, right?
                        The All New
                        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr View Post
                          I wouldn't second guess you, you were there, you know better how a warning was recieved than anyone here ... and you know your own enforcement habits and only you will add this to them. It wasn't murder, you do have choices.

At 24 or 26 plus the limit of 65 (here) is 89 or 91, I would have lost no sleep had I wrote both for reckless driving. Could have done it with an absolutely clear conscience myself, no reservations there. The SUVs, and two kids in one of them .... only would make it easier. Out of state cops? What, do the speed limit signs look that much different?

I also was taught early in my career by older troopers when I was just a new pup, "never give a driver both an a55 chewing and a ticket on the same stop", I try to maintain that to this day. An a55 chewing isn't something I am supposed to do, it isn't something I start out to do, it's not something they should have to listen to in addition to getting a ticket so they can get another from a judge. It happens occasionally though. If I loose my cool and do so "chew a55" (not just admonition mind you, not simple explanation of dangers, etc, but a serious "a55 chewing"), I try to smoothly and without any sudden drops in tone, go into warning mode. I too have stopped vehicles for something, maybe lost my cool, went to my car, reflected, and then released on a warning.

No officer can always say or do exactly the right thing all the time, but we can try. It's a part of the job. Even when you do0 it perfect, others will apply their personal thoughts and make judgements to the contrary for a variety of reasons. Your decisions on your stops are yours to make. The law is written. Those two SUV drivers could easily have forseen the likelyhood of being stopped at such high speeds, likewise they have heard stories of others getting tickets or arrested. They could have chosen to simply obey the laws they most assuredly knew someone was charged with the enforcement of. They chose instead to role the dice, 89-91 doesn't come accidently.

And then they got really lucky with you, in more ways than one. I hope they don't "throw it away".

I'm gonna be going west here in a week or so myself, probably go though 10-12 states, and have no plans of drawing any extra attention as I plan to show the utmost in "professional courtesy" all the way out and back ... observing and obeying their laws as I do mine.

Take care .......
                          What T150 said. X2
                          The All New
                          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

25mph over the limit in a big SUV with 2 small kids in the car, yeah I think its worth chewin their butt
                            I never understood the a55 chewing thing - never did it. But 25 over? That's 100 mph here! Sorry - you get the whole can in this case. Probably reckless, depending upon traffic and other issues.

What they did was disrespect you, your state's law, your position and their own. What you did, was only iffy when you took it personally.

It isn't my law - it's the state's. Let them get mad.
                            The All New
                            - M1Garand

Comment

I don't lecture other cops nor will I write them a ticket. Personal preference I guess.
                              Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4499 users online. 287 members and 4212 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X