expired tag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• expired tag

I stopped a guy the other day that had a May 2007 expired tag. I wrote him, but I told him that I would drop the citation if he brought proof of a Revalidation Decal to court. I really dont like giving citations for expired tag because I know that the only reason for that law is to raise money. What do you guys think. Do you write for that?

I usually only write if it's at least 2 months expired. I'll start towing after 6 months.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

I wrote expired tags all the time.

State of Missouri sends you a form (usually) the month before they are due.

No excuses not to have your vehicle properly registared if your going to operate it on public streets.

Comment

I write it if its 2 weeks out of date. Since its just a fix-it ticket in my court, I figure if they couldnt take a few minutes out of their day in the last 6 weeks to hit up the dmv, they can sit in court for a few minutes to get it adjusted.

Comment

Of course "the only reason for that law is to raise money". Building and maintaining roads is expensive. Vehicle registration fees here in Washington are less than the cost of a tank of gas. That's pretty cheap and I don't have much sympathy for those unwilling to pay their share. That being said,I usually don't write until they're at least 30 days past due.

I don't tell people I'll drop a citation. That's the job of the prosecutor or judge.
          Last edited by Seventy2002; 07-21-2007, 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I write expired tags no matter what and I'll tell you why. If you stop someone for an expired tag, a towable offense in NY, then I write. God forbid if that person goes down the street just after you stopped them or a few days later and you didn't do what you were suppose to do, then your going to be on the end of a lawsuit and the department is gonna pay. Better follow your general orders to the letter or your going to be the one in trouble in the long run.

Write the ticket, if they get the registration revalidated and show proof in court then talk to the judge to see if he will dismiss or reduce to a equipment violation or something. Just protect yourself.

All the motorist has to do is register online or mail it in here or go to the local DMV, how many more breaks do they need ?

Comment

Thanks for replies

In Georgia the newer your car is the more you pay for your tag. If you have a new car you will have to pay over 200 dollars.

Comment

I have found people that don't take care of their tags usually don't bother to take care of the other little problems in their life. An excellent stop that can easilly lead to bigger and better things.....
                Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm 50/50 on whether I write expired tags (very likely if its over 2 months, not as likely if its under 2 months), but its dismissed in court if they are in compliance on their court date.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

I just wrote one the other day expired 5-07, I saw the inspection was expired , and the insurance card was expired. I wrote 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by ignignokt373 View Post
                      I wrote expired tags all the time.

State of Missouri sends you a form (usually) the month before they are due.

No excuses not to have your vehicle properly registared if your going to operate it on public streets.
                      I agree. They do the same in MD. The only reason for not receiveing notice is failure to submit a change of address. Most of the time the real reason is that they have their license plate flagged for an outstanding parking ticket, failure to get emissions inspection, or lack of insurance, ect. I wont drop a ticket, thats the judges job, and they drop the charges all the time absent some aggrivating circumstance.
                      John 3:16

Comment

They know that their tags have expired.
                        They get an invitation.

I pay for my emissions inspection (required in Georgia) and renew my tags every year and so is everyone else.

Comment

I write them, I may give a week or so at expiration before writing but after that its a done deal. I have to pay to renew my registration so do they.
                          Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

i write everyone of them.. however i will give them a week unless its my only pc or they were very aggravating.... the way I see it is, if i have to pay my taxes on time, than so should everyone else.

Comment

I'll write for either expired registration or expired inspection as soon as the 5-day grace period is up.

Our new registration stickers are impossible to read from the inside of the car, unlike the older ones. But, you still get notification in the mail, so...no excuse.
                              Last edited by School Cop; 07-29-2007, 10:26 PM. Reason: adding info
                              If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10466 users online. 386 members and 10080 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X