300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radar

hey all, I have noticed in my department that not many people are radar trained, or even use radar anymore. Do you think radar is going out? and laser is taking over? Or maybe just a departmental thing....

I suppose it will depend if your place has someone qualified or motivated to train others in the use of the equipment. We use radar for mobile speed detection and also for speed camera use and laser for static speed detection (Although I hear there maybe a camera system that has been connected to a laser). I know I'm now going away from use of laser/ radar, but we also use "follow speed".
    If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

Comment

Probably varies by department. All of our vehicles have radar and we also have two laser units. If we lose an officer that was a Radar/LIDAR Instructor, we quickly send someone to school to take their place.
      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

I received the training when I went through the academy and it is still part of the curriculum. I know a few guys who didn't receive the training during the academy because they went through in 2 phases. Phase 1 being for unemployed cadets, Phase 2 being for hired recruits. Guys who get hired after Phase 1, get sent back to phase 2. Their agency can take them out of Phase 2 before they complete radar/lidar certification and have them on the street and get them certified later.

I find it hard to believe that radar would be phased out for lidar. As far as what I remember from the training and my limited us of lidar is that lidar is only for stationary operation. All of our cars have radar which obviously can be operated stationary AND moving. I tried sitting stationary and using one of our Lidar units before and I couldn't stand trying to look through the stupid thing and shooting cars while trying to estimate their speed at the same time.

Comment

none of the deputies in my department have radar. I would guess it just depends on how your "brass" feels about lawin speed limit violators.
          "if i've got to turn around....catch all the way up with you and cut on the lights.....somebody's gotta pay the light bill"...

Comment

My department still runs radar, but also has laser.
            The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

I teach radar / lidar. two different applications. Radar will not be phased out due to the mountability and ability to be used in moving mode in multiple settings. Lidar you are stuck with stationary, but it is way more target specific. I don't see a reason for any department ot go away from using these speed tools unless there is a budget issue or a change of enforcement focus.

Comment

Sorry it took so long to respond. Thank you guys very good responses, I think I will train on both (if My department ever does another class )
                thanks

Comment

We have both, but use Lidar much more often. Its been many, many months since I've picked up my radar. They both have their advantages, but in my area Lidar works much better for me.

Comment

I'm certified with both. Radar is alright if I'm just cruising around. If I'm aiming to do speed enforcement, though, I use the laser. That's because I can pick a single vehicle out on a busy road and measure its speed, and because your radar detector won't help you.

Comment

I am the only one on my precinct that is radar certified. Everyone else is laser. I love my radar. In fact I wrote 24 tickets yesterday. It may be on it's way out but I know it stands up in court and I have no problems with it.

Comment

They both have their advantages and limitations, I don't see Lidar ever replacing Radar (nor would I wish for it). Much more likely they'll just coexist and compliment each other in LE. For every department that does adopt one to the exclusion of the other (reduce training costs), there'll be another doing the exact opposite ... and most will embrace both.

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5882 users online. 334 members and 5548 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X