Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good abbreviations to use on tickets?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Good abbreviations to use on tickets?

    With the explanation area as small as it is, many here resort to abbreviations on the ticket. Anyone have a good abbreviation for a confrontational, adversarial contact? Today I used RPOW, Real Piece of Work - just doesn't flow for me.
    Suggestions?

  • #2
    AH = Aggressive and Hostile.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      AH = Aggressive and Hostile.
      Yeah....Aggresive and Hostile...thats what it means

      Comment


      • #4
        We have the 4th copy to write notes on. This way no one else views it.

        I keep them in a small recipe file box in my locker. So when I go to court, I look at the "notes" to refresh my memory. It has spaces for driver comments, diagrams, weather etc.

        I would hesitate to write "personal" comments on the original ticket. Just my 2 cents.
        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
          We have the 4th copy to write notes on. This way no one else views it.
          Don't you have to give them up when a violator files an informal dfiscovery request?
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

          Comment


          • #6
            The pink copy of a citation in Florida is the officer's. I keep all of mine for reference in the event one goes to traffic court. Like deputy x 2, I write any personal notes on my copy so they don't end up as part of the public record.
            "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

            Thomas Jefferson

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              Don't you have to give them up when a violator files an informal dfiscovery request?
              On a traffic cite? Usually, when I show up for court...it's over! Citizens often hope traffic court falls on your day off and you won't show up. hee hee Minimum 4 hours of OT!

              Going back to the cite, if I wrote you, you deserved it...cuz I don't sweat the small stuff....ie hollywood stops etc

              and if you have the audacity to take me to court..you bet, I'll be there!
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

              Comment


              • #8
                Write in Bold

                Originally posted by rcs442 View Post
                With the explanation area as small as it is, many here resort to abbreviations on the ticket. Anyone have a good abbreviation for a confrontational, adversarial contact? Today I used RPOW, Real Piece of Work - just doesn't flow for me.
                Suggestions?

                My copy of the summons? I write the word ******* hopefully so the judge can see it. It is afterall my copy.
                "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                  On a traffic cite?
                  Before I retired I was responsible for handling all the discovery requests, Pitchess motions, etc., that came into the station. If they asked for the officer's notes on a traffic cite, we had 10 days in which to give them up. I usually had to track down the officer, make a copy of his copy of the cite (containing his notes) and send it off to the violator along with whatever else he requested and was entitled to.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Taylor1430 View Post
                    Yeah....Aggresive and Hostile...thats what it means
                    It's like this:

                    A motorcycle officer stops a man for running a red light. The guy is a real jerk and comes running back to the motor officer. The violator demands to know why he is being harassed by the Gestapo! So the officer calmly tells him of the red light violation. The "Motorist" instantly goes on a tirade, questioning the officer's ancestry, sexual orientation, etc., in rather explicit terms. The officer, being a professional, takes it all in stride, figuring "battleship mouth and rowboat ***".

                    The tirade goes on without the cop saying anything. When he gets done with writing the citation he puts an "AH" in the lower right corner of the narrative portion of the citation. He then hands it to the "Violator" for his signature.

                    The guy signs the cite angrily, tearing the paper, and when presented his copy points to the "AH" and demands to know what it stands for. The officer then removes his mirrored sunglasses, gets in the middle of the guy's face and said, "That's so when we go to court, I'll remember you're an a**h***!"

                    Three months later they are in court. The "Violator" has such a bad record he is about to lose his license and has hired an attorney to represent him.
                    On the stand the officer testifies to seeing the man run the red light.
                    Under cross-examination, the defense attorney asks, "Officer, is this a reasonable facsimile of the citation you issued my client?"

                    Officer responds, "Yes sir, this is the defendant's copy, his signature and mine, same number at the top."

                    Attorney: "Officer, is there any particular marking or notation on this citation you don't normally make?"

                    Officer: "Yes sir, in the lower right corner of the narrative there is an 'AH', underlined."

                    Attorney: "What does the AH stand for, officer?"

                    Officer? "Aggressive and Hostile, Sir."

                    Attorney: "Aggressive and hostile?"

                    Officer: "Yes, Sir?"

                    Attorney: "Officer, are you sure it doesn't stand for A**h***?"

                    Officer: "Well, Sir, you know your client better than I do!"
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                      Before I retired I was responsible for handling all the discovery requests, Pitchess motions, etc., that came into the station. If they asked for the officer's notes on a traffic cite, we had 10 days in which to give them up. I usually had to track down the officer, make a copy of his copy of the cite (containing his notes) and send it off to the violator along with whatever else he requested and was entitled to.
                      Most don't keep the 4th copy...some do. Hasn't happened to me yet. But nevertheless, I don't write anything inappropriate.

                      Has anyone thought of making a discovery motion on the officer's hand? just kiddin

                      Enjoy retired life!
                      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                        Most don't keep the 4th copy...some do. Hasn't happened to me yet. But nevertheless, I don't write anything inappropriate.

                        Has anyone thought of making a discovery motion on the officer's hand? just kiddin

                        Enjoy retired life!
                        The things they would ask for in informal discovery were really amusing. They would want radar and speedometer calibration records, patrol car repair records, training certificates, radar manufacturer's repair manuals, copies of enforcement procedures, training manuals, academy instructor's teaching outlines, speed surveys, etc. We were not the custodian of records for a lot of those things and many others were exempt from public disclosure. But in the end, many would come into the station to pick up a pile of documents and I would ask, "Now that you have these items, what are you going to do with them?" Everyone gave the same answer, "I don't know."
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          There is always, this notation: (*)...just center the star within those arcs!
                          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

                          Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

                          Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                            It's like this:


                            The guy signs the cite angrily, tearing the paper, and when presented his copy points to the "AH" and demands to know what it stands for. The officer then removes his mirrored sunglasses, gets in the middle of the guy's face and said, "That's so when we go to court, I'll remember you're an a**h***!"

                            Officer responds, "Yes sir, this is the defendant's copy, his signature and mine, same number at the top."

                            Attorney: "Officer, is there any particular marking or notation on this citation you don't normally make?"

                            Officer: "Yes sir, in the lower right corner of the narrative there is an 'AH', underlined."

                            Attorney: "What does the AH stand for, officer?"

                            Officer? "Aggressive and Hostile, Sir."

                            Attorney: "Aggressive and hostile?"

                            Officer: "Yes, Sir?"

                            Attorney: "Officer, are you sure it doesn't stand for A**h***?"

                            Officer: "Well, Sir, you know your client better than I do!"
                            Thats why I found it funny. I had never heard of Aggressive and Hostile but am all too familiar with an Adam Henry. Now I really CAN put it on my cites

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Taylor1430 View Post
                              Thats why I found it funny. I had never heard of Aggressive and Hostile but am all too familiar with an Adam Henry. Now I really CAN put it on my cites
                              Glad I could be of help.
                              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 8237 users online. 250 members and 7987 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Working...
                              X