300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spike strips to deter drive-offs?

Has anyone ever used spike strips to keep vehicles from driving off?

I was on a traffic stop with a driver who had a history of fleeing and, while that stop went fine, it got me thinking. I'm wondering if there's a safe, tactical way to deploy a spike strip (we use the expandable ones) so that, if a driver decided to flee after the stop, the flat tire(s) would keep them from going too far.

I take the keys if I get the feeling they might take off.

Comment

Stinger makes a pocket-sized deflation device designed to be unfolded and placed in front of a tire. Just don't forget to retrieve it before telling the driver he's free to go.

Comment

I see to to many issues with that. I get wanting to prevent a pursuit since so many departments are clamping down on them. What if you deploy something "just in case" and simply forget to grab them? Be it the stop goes smoothly and you hand back the paperwork you just forget OR mid stop a hot call comes out and you gotta jam out??? See the liability?? The best thing is run the plate before the stop that way you have the info on your computer screen. Also when you contact ask to turn off the car and go from there
        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

I use to use a stop stick if I thought they might take off on me. It's like the strips but its covered in plastic and about the length of a baseball bat. Just gotta remember to get it before you cut them loose.
          Last edited by SHU; 09-15-2018, 05:08 PM. Reason: My tape worm told me too.

Comment

It sounds like the main concern seems to be forgetting the strips, and the resultant tire replacement costs (plus, you know, a really ****ed-off driver).

I wonder if that's something that could be mitigated through training or technology (for example, a short strip like that mentioned above that had a flashing strobe LED on it, or something).

Comment

I've seen officers slide stopsticks under the tires a couple times with people who "barricade" themselves in their vehicle...usually drunks, but I've also seen it with Sovereign Citizen-types.
              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
              -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
                I've seen officers slide stopsticks under the tires a couple times with people who "barricade" themselves in their vehicle...usually drunks, but I've also seen it with Sovereign Citizen-types.
                Those are usually the types I do it with.

Comment

I've never used them on a traffic stop to keep someone from driving away. I've used them when serving search warrants on homes though, across the driveway behind the car in case we get a runner from the house heading for the car. I've also used them on occupied stolen cars before stop was initiated, in order to keep a pursuit from happening. That one works pretty well....
                  1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

I've also used them on occupied stolen cars before stop was initiated, in order to keep a pursuit from happening. That one works pretty well....
                    How exactly did you accomplish that?

Comment

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post

How exactly did you accomplish that?
                      Had another Deputy following a confirmed stolen car, got out in front of them before he tried to pull it over and spiked it. Lights came on, he tried to run but couldn't with three flat tires, pursuit was avoided.
                      1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11550 users online. 441 members and 11109 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X