Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why?

Hello,

Ive been reading alot of posts lately, especially in the "Ask a Cop" section, regarding traffic stops for speeding and the drivers that use radar detectors and jammers to prevent detection.

Im curious what other officers feel about this trend?

Personally, there is really only one fundamental question here: "Why do you feel speed limits don't apply to you?"

Ive been a cop now for 15 years and I have seen dozens and dozens of kids driving irresponsibly with everything from simple radar detectors to cars equipped with (supposed) jamming equipment, anti-radar paint, etc. They seem to have one common mentality among them: "Its okay for me to speed, Im special."

I guess this really frustrates me because Im tired of pulling kids out of burning cars. Im tired of working accidents because someone thought they were a better driver than they really were. Im tired of writing tickets to kids for speeding 25+ over the speed limit.

Regards,
    C

I agree completely. I'll go a little further to say I get tired of stopping them and getting attitude from them when they know completely they are in the wrong.

If you messed up and you know you messed up then man up and don't whine.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by pujolsfan146
      I agree completely. I'll go a little further to say I get tired of stopping them and getting attitude from them when they know completely they are in the wrong.
      That is so true......I've stopped people for 75-85 in a 50 zone that swear they were going the speed limit and my Lidar must have been reading someone else. Then they go on to say they have a perfect record and always drive safely. There is no way you did not know you were going 25-35 mph over the speed limit no matter what car you are driving.

Comment

Originally posted by pujolsfan146

If you messed up and you know you messed up then man up and don't whine.
        This goes right back to the mentality that some people have that, "Don't you have better things to do than waste your time harassing me about a stupid speeding ticket when you could be out catching real criminals."
        There will always be those people no matter how tickets/citations that are given out.
        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz
          That is so true......I've stopped people for 75-85 in a 50 zone that swear they were going the speed limit and my Lidar must have been reading someone else. Then they go on to say they have a perfect record and always drive safely. There is no way you did not know you were going 25-35 mph over the speed limit no matter what car you are driving.
          I have a radar now that will lock the speed and I can continue to monitor the current speed of the target vehicle. It has great range and for the most part when they are right on me they have slowed the speed down to the correct limit. I love it when they use the excuse they didn't realize they were speeding or something must be wrong with the speedometer. I bring it to their attention that I continued to monitor their speed as they went to the precise speed limit and that is usually followed by complete silence on their behalf.
          Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

I love the excuse that something must be wrong with their speedo. You just admitted you are driving a defective vehicle on the roadway? Then in the public's interest I am going to remove your vehicle from the roadway immediately. Just sit back and watch the back pedaling!
            "I'm just a-doin' my job, I'm The Highway Patrol."-Junior Brown

Comment

I like radar detectors. All it does is let them know they're busted, and 9 times out of 10, they'll slow down for me when it goes off. Makes catching up to them that much easier. And I've heard all the excuses. You do what you can, and hope at least someone listens. Chances are, the next time they come through, they'll remember you and pay a little better attention to their driving.

The only case I ever lost in traffic court was over a radar detector. His defense was that he managed to slow down when it went off, and I didn't actually clock him at the speed he was initially going. I told him I couldn't testify as to the accuracy, or quality of his radar detector.
              The prosecutor kind of screwed me on that one though. The guy's dad came in to testify for son claiming to be some rocket scientist. They made the argument that the fans on my car caused a false reading. Only problem was I got him with the rear antenna where there are no fans (that's where the prosecutor should have called me in for rebuttal testimony). In the end, a jury poll showed that since I didn't have a picture printout of who was speeding, they couldn't say he was 100% guilty. The jury pool was a bunch of scrotes anyway, so I figured as much.

Comment

Why?

Been retired almost two years now, but loved to stop violators with radar detectors. Nine times out of ten, it meant a citation as opposed to a written warning. The attitudes, excuses, back peddling? All priceless!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2608 users online. 138 members and 2470 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X