300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DALE35907

I'm a Deaf Driver from Alabama. It kind of caught me off guard to read that some police officers weren't aware that we deafies could legally drive!

There are actually few problems associated with "driving while deaf" except for the communication issues mentioned by some of y'all. Communication issues are easily solved by having a notepad handy!

Just a warning, though - some deafies will try to take advantage of this lack of communication hoping you'll just give up and let them go. Some may hand you a note saying you are required by law to provide an ASL interpreter while writing them a ticket - this is not strictly true unless your state requires this. During a traffic stop writing notes will do nicely, though if the whole mess goes to court an interpreter will be required - but the deaf person is required to provide adequate warning that a 'terp' is needed.

I for one would rather not see y'all giving deaf folks a 'break' just because we're deaf - we don't need special treatment, and it will only encourage some to ignore the law! Also, this can encourage 'hearies' to act deaf to get off on a ticket!

Overall it looks like y'all have handled your 'deaf encounters' pretty well and I'd like to thank you for wanting to improve your ability to handle these situations!

Dale R. Patterson
    Owner - www.deafreedom.com
    Good information Dale. Thanks
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

What???????????

Comment

Originally posted by yessemi
        What???????????
        lol

This post reminds me of one of my first traffic stops. The guy blew a stop sign and I started to question him as soon as he started to get out of his vehicle in a parking lot. He initially didn't respond (obviously) so I go into "a**hole mode" and get ready to ream this guy. He ended up being deaf and couldn't speak a word. I felt like shiite when he started writing words on a notepad.
        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by DALE35907

I'm a Deaf Driver from Alabama. It kind of caught me off guard to read that some police officers weren't aware that we deafies could legally drive!

There are actually few problems associated with "driving while deaf" except for the communication issues mentioned by some of y'all. Communication issues are easily solved by having a notepad handy!

Just a warning, though - some deafies will try to take advantage of this lack of communication hoping you'll just give up and let them go. Some may hand you a note saying you are required by law to provide an ASL interpreter while writing them a ticket - this is not strictly true unless your state requires this. During a traffic stop writing notes will do nicely, though if the whole mess goes to court an interpreter will be required - but the deaf person is required to provide adequate warning that a 'terp' is needed.

I for one would rather not see y'all giving deaf folks a 'break' just because we're deaf - we don't need special treatment, and it will only encourage some to ignore the law! Also, this can encourage 'hearies' to act deaf to get off on a ticket!

Overall it looks like y'all have handled your 'deaf encounters' pretty well and I'd like to thank you for wanting to improve your ability to handle these situations!

Dale R. Patterson
          Owner - www.deafreedom.com
          Dale, Glad to see you made it over this way (not sure if you remember me or not).

We have a few deaf people in our city...and I'm the only officer that knows any sign language. Fortunately, it has not come up too often but it does. Most of my sign comes from have a few deaf friends. I can communicate enough to get by on traffic stops and some calls for service.

Comment

With my luck I'd get the notepad handed back in Spanish. Here there are visor cards so that the driver can flip them down on a stop and the officer can readily know that the driver is deaf.

Are there any documented instances where gang members mistook someone's conversation as throwing down signs?
            Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 03-13-2007, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wile E. Coyote
              With my luck I'd get the notepad handed back in Spanish. Here there are visor cards so that the driver can flip them down on a stop and the officer can readily know that the driver is deaf.

Are there any documented instances where gang members mistook someone's conversation as throwing down signs?
              LMAO now that made me laugh!!!!
              "Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared." — Eddie Rickenbacker
              World War I hero

Comment

That was actually a real question. I've heard a few unsupported claims that a couple were shot in a McD's for just that, but just wondering if anything like that has actually happened.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking that was at the last part of the post; I forgot I wrote the Spanish thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotwell
                  I am in Ohio and will def look into that to see if we have code on it...
                  Hearing impaired persons can drive in Ohio just like everyone else. All you have to do is pass the written and vision test. I don't remember taking a hearing test for my driving test. I'd fail the hearing test myself. Too much loud music (Thank you, Sony Walkman) and washing trucks in high school.

We have a newspaper guy in our area that is hearing impaired. A couple of us have pulled him over for stop sign violations (I'm seeing a pattern in this post) and lack of signalling.

Break out the notepad and pen. You'll get through it.

They probably drive better then the kids with the loud stereos. The hearing impaired are used to paying more attention with their eyes.

Originally posted by Wile E.
                  With my luck I'd get the notepad handed back in Spanish. ...
                  LMAO!! :-)
                  Last edited by mgshilling; 03-17-2007, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Perhaps one or two of y'all would like to address this guy here:

http://www.ridorlive.com/?p=2197#comments

Please note that this guy doesn't in any way, shape, or form speak for the deaf community at large, but he is a very vocal minority.

Comment

I responded to Ridor. My daughter is Hard of Hearing and we use sign on a frequent basis to reinforce what we say. She wears hearing aids now but has a progressive hearing loss and may lose her hearing entirely as she grows up. We are active in the hearing as well as the deaf community. I cannot belive this Ridor guy is popular! Must be very local. I have never heard of him. Another "I hate the cops" guy, at least in that section of his blog (can't trust any bloggers IMO.

Dale good to see you on the forum!
                      "A Nation without Borders is not a Nation."
                      - Ronald Reagan

"Every immigrant that comes here should be required, within five years, to learn English or leave the country." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Liberalism is a mental disease." - Mike Savage

Comment

Deaf Driver.

Thanks for the info Dale. Obviously, a deaf person can obtain an Alabama Driver's License. I've had occassion to stop some deaf motorists over the years, and the note pad option usually works. I cut slack, or gave breaks dependent on the person's attitude, nature of violation etc. The fact that he was deaf made no difference.

Comment

I had one that I locked up for Poss of Stolen MV and Poss of stolen Tag.
                          He stole the truck in one state and tag in another.

He was complaining about the cuffs being too tight.
                          Since I don't sign, the only thing I could think of was the crying violin sign, like my heart bleeds.
                          You know the one where you pretend you are playing the violin.

He really got wound up then.

Comment

I know this last post is about a year and a half old but for anybody intrested, some places will offer a Law Enforcement and Deaf course. Ohio University has it on their catalog but have not had any intrest shown in it in a few years. Some of the problem you can run into with the deaf especially older folks is sentence structure. Some structures are different than what the hearing uses. Younger folks are taught exact english so with them it shouldn't be a problem. The note pad obviously works most of the time but just beware that it may not ALWAYS work.
                            "The Scout Law is the foundation on which the whole of Scout training rests."
                            - Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell

sigpic

Leaving Your Mark...is Overrated!!

Comment

my buddy had to work a TA involving a van full of Deaf persons from texas...what a PITA LOL
                              In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Good Lord ... yes ... deaf drivers can get driver's licenses ... legally.

They likely are some of the better drivers too, which is why you rarely stop one.

They know they have a handicap and as with any creature suffering a handicap, they learn to compensate with the other senses. They become more observant, they take less for granted, and they sense vibrations that you never notice. You take for granted the sense of hearing, they don't.

As to communicating with them, I don't "sign" either (not so's you'ld know what I was trying to convey anyway), but a small tablet or a card and a few short notes have never failed me ...
                                ... after all, they aren't new to it.

Sight is the one indispensable sense needed to safely drive a motor vehicle.

ps ... just realized I replied to a several years old thread ...
                                Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 01-08-2010, 03:50 PM.
                                "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9239 users online. 397 members and 8842 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X