300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The flame out

Got a wicked flame out from a woman, and her mother, today when she was presented with the cite. She was all nice and friendly until she saw the paper. She was cussing, trying to grab things, etc. Very ugly. She even leaned out the window to scream "*******" as she drove away.

I'm looking for input on ways (new, interesting, or otherwise) to handle the people who flame out when they get a ticket. I usually just ignore the comments, explain the cite, keep it short, and end contact. Any good ideas that are effective or have worked well for you?

Thanks!

Originally posted by corerunner
    Got a wicked flame out from a woman, and her mother, today when she was presented with the cite. She was all nice and friendly until she saw the paper. She was cussing, trying to grab things, etc. Very ugly. She even leaned out the window to scream "*******" as she drove away.

I'm looking for input on ways (new, interesting, or otherwise) to handle the people who flame out when they get a ticket. I usually just ignore the comments, explain the cite, keep it short, and end contact. Any good ideas that are effective or have worked well for you?

Thanks!
    Always tell them Have a nice day. That is one of the best ways to deal with the situation.

I had a person stopped him for going 47 in a posted 30 zone. He was 72 years old. Driving a nice new Cadillac Escalade. Made contact and informed of reason for stop. Issue a citation for speeding 47 in a 30. Went back to issue citation, asked driver if he wanted to plead guilty and pay fine with in 30 days or if he wished to go to court. Driver gets all ****ed off and starts to tell me how it is not fair I am issuing him a citation, beings he had just spent the night in one of our local motels.
    I tell the driver if he believes he is not guilty he has the right to come to court and fight the citation. Driver tells me that is real fair I live over 1000 miles away how can I come back and go to court. I ask him if he wants to pay the ticket or go to court. The driver says I am not going to plead guilty and pay it. I say so you want to go to court. Driver says do what ever you want. I tell set a court date for the driver, hand him the citation to sign. Driver asks what will happen if I don't sign the citation.
    I tell the driver if he is not going to sign the ticket he will be going to jail. (Great just what I want to do arrest a senior citizen, my shift will be over in 30 minutes, I do not want over time today.) Driver says he will follow me to the jail. I explain to the driver that I will arrest him and take him to jail in my car. His wife is sitting in the passenger seat telling him to let me arrest him, driver signs the ticket.
    Driver then asks for a the mayors name and phone number and the chiefs name and number I give the driver my business card and show him the phone number he can call. Drivers wife tells me "We are going to have your badge you little rent a cop."
    I tell her that is fine, as I walk away I tell the driver to "have a nice day."

Thank GOD for mini recorders, I had it going the whole time showing me being nice and professional. Driver fails to show up to court and judge suspends DL.
    New Rule: The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the *******. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande? half-soy, half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge *******.

Comment

Originally posted by explorerscout83
      Always tell them Have a nice day. That is one of the best ways to deal with the situation.

lol thats the worst way to deal with those type of people... you just ****ed them off and now your telling them to have a nice day?!?!?!
      its as simple as giving them their id and paper work back, then pulling the clip board with the summons attach from behind your back... explain that it isnt an admission of guilt, just that you will appear on this day, etc etc...
      after they sign, just tell them to drive safe in a polite way, 9/10 will say thank you.

Comment

Be calm and cool. As long as it's a good cite I really don't care how they act. People vent so don't take it personal. But if your a true !*#hole and are writting people for crap, you should re-examine yourself and your line of work. Don't give me a bad name!
        That statement begs the question of: What do you consider a 'bad cite'??

Comment

Be calm and courteous. That always ****es them off more.

If they tear up the citation and drop any of it, I tell them they have to clean up every piece or they'll get another citation for littering.

Comment

Telling them to have a nice day further makes the situation worse, and can (and has) led to complaints. Tell them to "Drive Carefully", short, sweet, professional and cut it, sending them on their way.

I think you got the right idea of how to handle it, carry on.
            Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

I say "try to have a better day" Kinda that way it tells them yeah it sux to get a citation but it gives a little humor. I think, humor is the best way to deal with minor situations like this
              I got nothing for now

Comment

Originally posted by VAsteve20
                lol thats the worst way to deal with those type of people... you just ****ed them off and now your telling them to have a nice day?!?!?!
                its as simple as giving them their id and paper work back, then pulling the clip board with the summons attach from behind your back... explain that it isnt an admission of guilt, just that you will appear on this day, etc etc...
                after they sign, just tell them to drive safe in a polite way, 9/10 will say thank you.
                I agree with this guy. This just usually ****es them off more and then they file a complaint on you for bieng sarcastic. End the stop with "please slow down, we care about your safety" or whatever that verbal judo guy says.

Comment

sorry, wrong place,
                  Last edited by gotthblues; 09-29-2005, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I end my stops with "Have a safe day" I think have a nice day can open up a new can of worms.

Example...

LEO: Have a nice day
                    Driver: I would if you didnt write this ticket

LEO: Have a nice day
                    Driver: I was until you stopped me

Dont get me wrong, there is no one way to do anything. Everyone has their own style and what works for me may not work for you. I have gotten ideas from other LEOs on this board that I use now.

Comment

I calmly explain to them that I don't like being on the side of the road any more than they do and that if they want to argue and discuss, that the roadside is not the place. If they ask what happens if they do not sign, I tell them I will write refused on the block and give them their copy anyway. Most of the time they will sign and were just confused about "You are not admitting guilt, just signing for your copy which I will give you shortly."

I had one violator stopped that was a bomb. Luckily I got him to cool off. I saw him the next day while on foot patrol and he approached me yelling and screaming in the middle of a neighborhood. There were people outside on their porches and kids riding their bicycles, etc. I said in a loud and calm voice, "SIR, if you want to discuss this, I will be happy to when you calm down. Right now you are too angry to think clearly or form intelligable sentences. Here is my card, call me when you calm down." You would have thought I killed the guy. He shut up and looked at me with a blank stare while I was preparing for the only God knows what. The next word out of his mouth was "sorry", and we proceeded to discuss his actions the previous day and why I cite people. He, as well as several people that came over to check if everything was ok, left with a new appreciation of the job and an understanding that citations are not personal attacks against them, but a corrective tool for their behaviors.
                      " (T)o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.... " Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3226 users online. 164 members and 3062 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X