300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improperly Worn Seatbelt

Does anyone know of any information regarding the detriments of wearing a seatbelt under the armpit instead of wearing it properly across the chest and collar bone?

Thanks,

Sammy
    If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
    www.samanthafund.com

Obviously it is being incorrectly worn, but you know that.. Not sure if any of this helps, but I think #2 may be a good explanation of what youre after?

http://www.buckleupnc.org/using_belts.cfm
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

Speaking purely from a physics standpoint you would be lowering the pivot point on your body allowing your head to lash fwd and back a much further distance thereby creating much greater trauma to the brain and spine.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I know that it's dangerous and could cause injuries to the ribs and no longer hold the upper body in the proper position, but I am looking for documented information supporting this. Does anyone know where to find it???

Sammy
        If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
        www.samanthafund.com

Comment

Well, how about this then.

http://www.carsp.ca/belt_use.htm
          http://www.carsp.ca/belt_use.htm#references
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

It will apply force to the fragile ribs and smash them, driving broken pieces into the heart & lungs...instead of apreading the force over the larger bones of the upper body. One crash I investigated resulted in 6 broken splintered ribs being driven into exactly those areas. Lady was very lucky to survive. She didn't like wearing it as designed because it felt "uncomfortable". Had owner the car several years & in all that time never attempted to install anything to increase the comfort. I write them all the time for it here. Failing to wear seat belt "properly adjusted". It's a shoulder strap...not an armpit strap dummy!!!

Comment

It fits the statute. These things are poorly designed and tall people would break their neck on a cross shoulder harness, not to mention the rubbing.
              I installed a 4 pt. Hooker harness in mine with the reel so that you can reach for things. It is bolted to the frame and roll bar, which is bolted to the frame with grade 8 bolts..
              I have had broken ribs. I wear my vest.

Comment

NJ Seatbelt

Originally posted by SammyCal1
                I know that it's dangerous and could cause injuries to the ribs and no longer hold the upper body in the proper position, but I am looking for documented information supporting this. Does anyone know where to find it???

Sammy

You can find your answer in the NJ Title 39 Handbook. It explains the proper use of seatbelts...among everything else for V&T in NJ

Comment

Originally posted by SammyCal1

Sammy
                  Why need documentation? It's common sense more than anything. I've been an instructor in vehicle extrication/rescue for the last 5 years. It is damn obvious what happens to those who wear their seatbelt improperly or fail to wear it at all.
                  I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6227 users online. 329 members and 5898 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X