300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUI blood draw

Do any of you guys/girls do your own blood draws for your DUI's? I have heard of some dept.'s putting there cops through phebotomy school I was wondering how many depts do this.

Originally posted by depdog
    Do any of you guys/girls do your own blood draws for your DUI's? I have heard of some dept.'s putting there cops through phebotomy school I was wondering how many depts do this.
    The procedure under Canada's Criminal Code (written and enacted by the Federal Government, but administered and enforced by the Provinces and Municipalities, and relatively equally applied across Canada) is that ONLY a physician, or a nurse or lab tech under the direction of a physician, may draw blood samples for analyses re Blood Alcohol Concentration.

There must be 2 samples drawn, using a blood sample kit as authorized under the CC, then the samples are surrendered to the investigator, along with Certificates from the physician and/or nurse or tech about having taken them. These samples MUST be drawn pursuant to a demand made by the investigator on the "client", or as the result of the investigator obtaining a warrant where the "client" is unconscious, and ONLY if the attending physician agrees that the drawing of such samples will NOT cause further injury to said "client".

These samples are sent to a Police lab for analysis - 1 is used by the lab, the other is stored by the lab in case the "client" wants to have an independent analysis conducted. The Police lab analyst issues a Certificate of Analyses to the investigator, showing the BAC, and the investigator then serves the "client" or his lawyer with the Certificate. Neither the physician, nurse, tech or Police lab analyst normally attend Court, and the investigators merely enters the various Certificates into evidence.

The ONLY blood samples that Canadian LEO/PO are authorized to take are those for DNA analysis, either for investigation, or after conviction for certain violent crimes.
    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
    "Smile" - no!

Comment

In Southern California we have "Blood Techs" on call. They are usually off duty nurses or paramedics who moonlight for a private company that provides this service. When we hook up a DUI, we tell dispatch to have a blood tech meet us at the station or at the jail.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
        In Southern California we have "Blood Techs" on call. They are usually off duty nurses or paramedics who moonlight for a private company that provides this service. When we hook up a DUI, we tell dispatch to have a blood tech meet us at the station or at the jail.

That's nice L-1. Sure would beat what some of us Chippy's have to do. 1 - 2 hour wait for a blood draw at hospital .... and don't get me started on the length for a medical clearance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Jeeez.. I would volunteer for that !!!!

Stick em once, stick em twice, stick em three times for luck!!!!

Can't find the vein.. Stick em again.. Still can't find it.. Stick em one more time for fun!! LOL..

Getting paid to cause a DUI some pain...

That's just wrong on so many levels.. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Choke
            That's nice L-1. Sure would beat what some of us Chippy's have to do.
            Put in your 220 to Santa Ana, Capo or Westminster. Then all you have to do is tell dispatch to have a blood tech meet you at the jail or at Area.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Choke
              That's nice L-1. Sure would beat what some of us Chippy's have to do. 1 - 2 hour wait for a blood draw at hospital .... and don't get me started on the length for a medical clearance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              If you want to expedite your medical clearance try stopping by the closest Stop and Rob to the hospital and getting the nurses some chocolate or something along those lines. They usually hurry me through the process when I show up bearing gifts!!! Our blood tech comes right to the booking area of the jail. Its great.
              Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Local hospital does it for us in NJ. Most doctors and nurses are pretty cooperative. There is case law preventing them from having action taken against them by a defendent.

Sammy
                If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
                www.samanthafund.com

Comment

Originally posted by depdog

We do our own draws, as well as any that are needed for surrounding agencies. I went to Phlebotomy school at Phoenix College. It was a 40 hour class that required over 100 sticks for certification.

I take blood whenever I can, also in DRE cases. I think that it is a great tool.
                  There's no substitute for strength,
                  and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

Utah Highway Patrol had some Troopers able to withdraw blood.

They are all trained as EMT's

Comment

Back in the 'old days' we kept a VERY LARGE vets syringe and needle in a drawer near the Breathalyzer.When clients asked about a very time consuming blood test (at hospital)we would pull out the syringe. Most clients changed their minds!!!

Times have changed and we wouldn't think about that routine any more.

Comment

We call the hospital and let the ER know we are on the way... they usually have a lab tech waiting for us or one is there within minutes of arrival. Writing the tickets for DWI takes longer than the blood draw.
                        sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

We offer ours the services of, "..a Doctor, being a fully qualified Medical Practitioner, of your choice, to take a sample of your blood for analysis." They generally get spooked when we go on to say that the doc is to be paid for by them and we also get a sample.

I have had a few smart-ar$e$ pull the 'blood sample" routine on me.

In 18 years I have yet to come across a doc who will drag himself down to the cop shop at 3am on a Sunday morning to draw blood from a drunk!!

As for cops drawing blood.....well not under those circumstances!!
                          Pain....nature's way of letting us know we're still alive!!!

Comment

Never had that problem as of yet.... Only have urine and breath done....

Now if we have a suspect in the hospital already we get their blood...

So I beleive if we wanted blood we would take to the ER and get er done
                            THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

We use fire department paramedics. There's usually someone in training who needs the practice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3012 users online. 174 members and 2838 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X