Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transports

Situation:

An Officer transports a prisoner resulting from a traffic stop initiated by a different Officer. There are three Officers at the scene, and the Officer finally does the transport, assist with the vehicle search. The prisoner is transported to the jail. Upon arrival the suspect is searched by jail personnel and placed into a holding cell.
    It is later found that the transported inmate had a 25 caliber firearm upon his person when he arrived at the jail but no one had located it.

What should the reaction of the administration be? reprimand? termination? other?

Who is ultimately responsible?

Originally posted by BCSD
    Situation:

An Officer transports a prisoner resulting from a traffic stop initiated by a different Officer. There are three Officers at the scene, and the Officer finally does the transport, assist with the vehicle search. The prisoner is transported to the jail. Upon arrival the suspect is searched by jail personnel and placed into a holding cell.
    It is later found that the transported inmate had a 25 caliber firearm upon his person when he arrived at the jail but no one had located it.

What should the reaction of the administration be? reprimand? termination? other?

Who is ultimately responsible?
    In my Force, EVERY officer involved with this "client's" arrest is responsible for searching this "client" - the officer first placing him under arrest, the next officer conducting the transport and then the officer accepting the "client" at cells.

The officer that conducted the transport was further responsible for ensuring that the "client livery carriage compartment" (or, back seat area) of her/his patrol vehicle was searched PRIOR TO placing any "client(s)" in that area, and again after the "client(s)" were removed from that area, in order to ensure that the "client(s)" do NOT have access to ANYTHING with which they could harm themselves, the transporting officer, the cell officers or otherwise use to interfere with the investigation (weapons, intoxicants/stupefants).

I know some LEO/PO may consider it an affront to their professionalism, that another officer would dare search "their" prisoner, but it is professionalism on BOTH officers' parts to accept that the next officer WILL, and that they themselves MUST, do so, for the safety of ALL officers.

At the VERY least BOTH officers need their butts chewed out, and maybe even a written reprimand on their personnel file, so they know to not make that mistake again. If this happens to one or both officers again, maybe loss of a day off?
    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
    "Smile" - no!

Comment

Every time custody is accepted by a new officer, there is a new search. every officer who searched could possibly be partialy to blame, but to hold someone finally responsible it'd have to be the one walking him into the intake section. If he's placed in a holding cell, was it prior to the booking search? Corrections has some responsibility too.

Punishment depends on agency policy. If there were an injury or fatality, termination and prosecution could be warranted. Otherwise, the agency may want to treat like other contriband.

I ask my prisoners regardles of how well they're searched "Anything that's get us into trouble? The jail guys find anything and we're both in for it. You for bringing the contraband into a secure facility, and me for missing it. Fess up now and we'll both be better off".
      I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by KenW.
        Every time custody is accepted by a new officer, there is a new search. every officer who searched could possibly be partialy to blame, but to hold someone finally responsible it'd have to be the one walking him into the intake section. If he's placed in a holding cell, was it prior to the booking search? Corrections has some responsibility too.

Punishment depends on agency policy. If there were an injury or fatality, termination and prosecution could be warranted. Otherwise, the agency may want to treat like other contriband.

I ask my prisoners regardles of how well they're searched "Anything that's get us into trouble? The jail guys find anything and we're both in for it. You for bringing the contraband into a secure facility, and me for missing it. Fess up now and we'll both be better off".
        The firearm was located after being booked in.

Comment

Your booking process requires a search by a corrections officer, doesn't it? If so, they can share in the blame.

I'm only aware of one similar instance at our jail... but that was carried "internally". Freedom Arms .22s will fit the strangest places.
          I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Well, the person doing the transport should have searched again. I search everyone who gets into the car, including if he comes out of someones custody or car again before going into mine. I have no hesitation about checking legs or crotches for reasons like what you describe. The jail staff should be doing a thorough shakedown before they are ever brought past the booking vestibule (or whatever the setup is there).
            And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

The arresting officer is the first person that should do a "complete search". Then the transport officer should do "his own search"........ Never ever take some ones word that the person is clean or has been searched. Take "everything" the suspect has in his posession, keys, watch, wallet, and belt buckels too. Many a weapon can be concealed in a belt and buckel. Leave nothing but clothes. Always do you own searches to be sure.
              What some one else may miss, you may find.

Graydog
              Last edited by Graydog; 09-07-2005, 01:07 PM.
              With Strength and Power We Will Prevail......

Comment

My agency teaches that when an arrestee changes hands, he gets searched. I am not going to sit anyone behind me for a ride downtown that I haven't personally searched.

I know in our County Jail it would be difficult to get his firearm through the booking process unless it was "secreted" in the fashion KenW spoke of because they go through a full dress-out.

If no injury resulted from this incident I think termination is a bit rash, but these officers need to be counseled about the importance of doing proper searches incident to arrest (not that getting that phone call from the jail didn't throughly get their attention).

If your department size could accomodate it, you might suggest an in-service with Custody and Control instructor to brush everyone up on proper search techniques.
                "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

In my jail, if there is a reasonable chance of the prisoner getting bailed soon, they cool their heels in the intake area with only the booking search completed. 3 Deputies have eyes-on them at all times.

They're completely dressed out before going into the population.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3167 users online. 151 members and 3016 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X