Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passenger side appraoch on traffic stops?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger side appraoch on traffic stops?

I have recently made the move to a sheriffs office from a police department. This Sherriffs departmetn has a couple of major highways through the county. In the police department where I was, I did not have time for alot of traffic, especially on the highway. My question is, how many of you use the passenger side approach on vehicles while on a heavily traveled highway. Pros? Cons?
    you have the right to shut the hell up

Originally posted by vpd504
    I have recently made the move to a sheriffs office from a police department. This Sherriffs departmetn has a couple of major highways through the county. In the police department where I was, I did not have time for alot of traffic, especially on the highway. My question is, how many of you use the passenger side approach on vehicles while on a heavily traveled highway. Pros? Cons?
    Just use my same answer as the last time this question was asked just a few weeks ago. I'd look up the thread myself, but if you're too lazy to look it up, so am I.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Depends on the time of day and what kind of road I'm on. At night I've come up on the passenger side and literally had 30 seconds to look around inside the car before knocking on the window, the driver kept on looking in his side mirror for me. Plus from a crash standpoint your better protected from DUII/dumbass drivers. During the day if it is raining I'll go that route too, but othertimes during the day not as likely.
      Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

how many of you use the passenger side approach on vehicles while on a heavily traveled highway

99.99% on Freeway I use right side approaches

60% right side approach on non-freeway stops

Comment

Originally posted by vpd504
          how many of you use the passenger side approach on vehicles while on a heavily traveled highway?
          ALWAYS. I'm on the big road a lot, and it's a posted 65 mph zone. Of course nobody's doing just 65.

Pros:
          -They're not expecting you to approach on the passenger's side...and it usually startles the occupants.
          -It's safer, just watch those videos of officers getting nailed by traffic.
          -You can see everything that the driver is trying to hide.
          -You have more reaction time if the driver wants to get frisky.
          -If you have them exit for casual conversation or if they're in a disabled car, I'm usally on the other side of the guard rail if there is one.
          -It should be common sense to use this technique, and is taught in most academies now.

In city or town traffic it's a different story. The situation will dictate which side to use, but on the highway ALWAYS use passenger side.

Cons:
          None
          Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

Watch for ditches!

A few years ago we were assisting on a stop and I came up on the passenger side, making a wide berth to the right... evidently too wide - there was a culvert/ditch there, and as I walked up along side the car (not using my flashlight) I dropped into it. From my car's perspective I think it would have looked like I just dissappeared. If we had a camera in the car but the video would have been a great post.
            Most to those who constantly question authority don't know the real answer to their own question. They blindly and lazily question and resist because they resent authority.

Fella 7/9/2008

Comment

Unless it is a road with few cars passing by, I am going to the passenger's side.

Comment

I work 99% in city, and I would say I use the passenger approach about 30% of the time. I love the element of suprise, and especially a good startle jump reaction is common too.

Disadvantage- DUIs- less chance to get up close to smell alc. odor, IMO.

Advantages- numerous.. better vantage point, free peek into glovebox, and of course, out of the traffic path. If I worked highways I could see myself doing that near 100%.

Matter of fact I think Im going to start doing them more since I reminded myself about them.
                And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

Passenger side approaches are good on heavily traveled roads I think its much safer but thats just my opinion. Another thing is that if you suspect the vehicle in any type of drug or weapon activity the passenger side approach catches the violater off guard (this works very well at night if you use the spotlight to light up the vehicle and then walk behind your police car around to the passengers side door.) I had a stop at night in which the dude in the car was hiding drugs under his seat when I walked up and he continued to look through the drivers side mirror to see what was going on. He had no idea that I was on the passengers side looking in. He also had a loaded 38. in the glove box!!! I was able to call for backup and make him jump when I knocked on the passengers side window. Thank god I saw what happened and didn't need the vehicle registration right away.

Comment

Originally posted by OffDuty
                    Disadvantage- DUIs- less chance to get up close to smell alc. odor, IMO.
                    Most of the time DUIs have their windows rolled up any way, and so it doesn't matter what side of the vehicle you're own b/c the odor is permiates through the whole passenger compartment. Just like when we let them sit in the back of our car for a few minutes and the whole thing smells like a brewery.
                    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
                      Most of the time DUIs have their windows rolled up any way, and so it doesn't matter what side of the vehicle you're own b/c the odor is permiates through the whole passenger compartment. Just like when we let them sit in the back of our car for a few minutes and the whole thing smells like a brewery.

true, true.. Whoo whee my car smelled like the gift shop at the Beam distillery last night. Good Lord. Lady, Im not rolling down the back windows 'to be nice', Im trying to get your toxins out of my car!

Lets hear it for new Vanillaroma trees! LOL
                      And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

If you are working on a highly traveled road or highway, I would have to say that the passenger side approach is a must. There is nothing more I can really say that hasn't been said already in this post so just use your best judgment.

I don't know how many people I have scared the crap out of at night using that technique. Good for a chuckle too.
                        Sweat...Saves...Blood

Comment

I sit in the car while my rookie approaches on the passenger side.....lol bwaaahaaaa im just kdding. I teach both approaches, once again depending on the situation. I use the passenger side approach most of the time, it just feels more comfortable for me.
                          There's no substitute for strength,
                          and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

Depends on the surroundings and circumstances. I don't work the highway and am mostly on the local roads. Sometimes, I don't even get to choose which side I want to approach because they flee.

azchopshopcop, if you were my field training instructor, you'd probably never forget me. My FTI told me I was one hell of a tough cookie and he has never trained anyone with my attitude.
                            "Nobody cares when the tears of a clown fall down."

Comment

I am trying to get into passenger side approaches, but old habits are so hard to break. What I dont like is when I walk back around my vehicle I loose sight of the car for a second. I am usually a back-up officer ( I am a narcotics investigator / K9) so I always use passenger approach on secondary, but as the primary, I am stuck in a rutt.
                              South Bloomfield Police Department
                              K9 Unit

American Working Dog Council

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4861 users online. 289 members and 4572 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X