300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratio Citations vs. Warnings

Just curious as to how lenient you guys are when it comes to simple violations (i.e. speeding (5-7 overish)). At my university since we are paid by the state, our income does not come from tickets so we don't have a quota, so we're not hard pressed to write citations.

I'm not talking about DUIs because I hate drunk drivers and they are all going down in my book. How many warnings would you say you've given people vs. citations on average?

My favorite line: "Ma'am if you are trying to get out of a ticket by crying, that's one thing that really upsets me."

Funny how they stop.

I would have to say 75% of the time I will issue a warning.
    Quick throw me your cuffs I already used all of mine
    Come here Slick Im not done with you yet

Comment

I don't have a quota, but I give very few warnings. If I'm going to risk my life, I risk it for more than a warning. That being said, I don't stop for "petty" stuff", such as under 12 over, license plate bulb out, etc. The only time I would is if it established probable cause for a possible OWI arrest.
      Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by horne80
        Just curious as to how lenient you guys are when it comes to simple violations (i.e. speeding (5-7 overish)). .
        Holy crap....I really hope you don't stop people for only 5-7 over

I give someone 15 over before I stop them. For every 5 verbal warnings I give, I probably only give 1 ticket.

Comment

A Citation is a Warning not to do it again.
          If the lights are on the ticket is being written

Comment

I generally only stop people going 15+ over the limit unless it is a school zone, construction zone, or residential neighborhood (when children are playing). When I stop someone they almost always get a citation.
            Last edited by mosetti; 08-02-2005, 11:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
            No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
              Unless its an outlaw biker. After all, they are good upstanding citizens!
              Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Originally posted by mosetti
                I generally only stop people going 15+ over the limit unless it is a school zone, construction zone, or residential neighborhood (when children are playing). When I stop someone they almost always get a citation.
                Same here, and of course DUI's.
                In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Same with the 15+ unless it is in a residential, construction zone, or high ped traffic. Oh and I thank the state on the oh-so easily visible inspection stickers, and the hard to see registration stickers.

If its a DLS mobile, then I'll find something to stop it for (really not to hard).

Comment

15+ for me as well unless it's late at night and I'm searching for drunks. Usually before I write someone the full pop they have to hit 20 over. Otherwise I'll try to find a non-moving violation to write them. Funny part is I write the most tickets at my dept yet very few of mine are ever contested.

Comment

Never had to fight a BIKER or ever get anything but respect from those guys.
                      It's the little nerds that get drunk and want to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by JHoek
                        Holy crap....I really hope you don't stop people for only 5-7 over

I give someone 15 over before I stop them. For every 5 verbal warnings I give, I probably only give 1 ticket.

If it's 2am on a Friday night (in this here college town) you better watch your *** Everyone is DUI bait here. You're doing 7-10ish over at 2-3am all bets are off.

Comment

It depends, in the state of north carolina the general assembly has stated that "quotas" are illegal, and if you give me your license and registration with out any lip or comment, i will tell you what i stopped you for and let you on your way, if your mouth wants to do my job for me, then my pen does my job for me, its the old saying your attitude is a reflection of my attitude. "I thought cops didnt give cute girls tickets? We dont here's your citation your court date is listed here HA HA"
                          Those that do evil to innocent people,The Robbers, Murderers, Rapists, Pimps, Prostitutes, The Simps, Sadists, Sinners, You will come to know me well, I am The Punisher.

Comment

Are you serious?

Originally posted by Bodie
                            Haha, again, are you serious?

If I never write a speeding citation (traffic infractions... not criminal offenses) I won't lose any sleep over it.

Do I stop for 5-7 over? 99.99% no. Might I at some point? You bet -- pretextually while hunting for drunks, or if I want to see what's up with someone in the vehicle. This also accounts for stops based on minor vehicle defects, stickers in wrong places, license plate covers, etc.

And might I cite for one of said infractions? Sure, but it's probably not gonna happen every night...
                            ... or even once a year....

COUGHdiscretionCOUGH

Edited to add: either you didn't run much traffic and only stpped "serious" offenses, or you wriote one heck of a lot of paperwork.
                            Last edited by Resq14; 08-03-2005, 02:54 AM.
                            All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Apart from citations arising from crashes I'd say I write less than 10% of the people I stop.
                              I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

"Why didn't you put that out on the radio?"
                              "I don't know Sarge, I guess I got caught up in the moment"
                              "The MOMENT is when we F--king need you!" - K-9 Sgt Myhre to unidentified Officer

In Valor there is Hope

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7917 users online. 459 members and 7458 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X