Ad JS

Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much leeway???

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How much leeway???

    For the LEOs that work in areas where there isn't a set decibel level, how much do you let go in regards to hot rods & exhaust noise?
    The reason I ask is because, since being retired from full-time duty, I play with hot rods quite a bit & someone mentioned the "volume" my car has. Which got me to thinking-----I always was pretty leinient, but what is YOUR level?

  • #2
    Ambient noise from adjacent traffic. I HATE modified exhausts, especially Harley-POS-Davidson bikes...

    HOWEVER, Glasspacks get a pass. One of my old patrol cars had them...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

    Comment


    • #3
      I dont know if I have ever stopped a vehicle for too loud of an exhaust before. I guess it has never bothered me. Plus my diesel has straight pipes on it.
      Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks. I was wondering as I said, I got into a discussion with a friend who actually has cut-outs to by-pass his mufflers. Kind of a waste, IMO, but he likes 'em and both our cars will easily set-off car alarms just driving past them......

        Comment


        • #5
          You just made The List, Pal...

          Now go home and get your shine box!

          Comment


          • #6
            If there is not a law prohibiting loud exhaust listed in the statute book, I could care less. Same as any other vehicle or equipment issue.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hemicop View Post
              Thanks. I was wondering as I said, I got into a discussion with a friend who actually has cut-outs to by-pass his mufflers. Kind of a waste, IMO, but he likes 'em and both our cars will easily set-off car alarms just driving past them......
              In Arkansas cut-outs are illegal. Most officers around here pay little attention to loud exhaust but will use it for PC stops to see what develops.
              Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
              In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

              Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
              Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
              Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

              Comment


              • #8
                [QUOTE=bpd303;3823254]In Arkansas cut-outs are illegal.

                The responses are all what I expected. Thanks. As to cut-outs----that's exactly why I don't have 'em on my car, just some short, "bullet" mufflers........

                Comment


                • #9
                  Iowa code is --------------lets say very generic-------much like officers descretion

                  90% of the time it is a nuisance complaint/call where the officer can or may not do anything

                  10% of the time is is a young person who needs educated on the law

                  321.436 MUFFLERS, PREVENTION OF NOISE.
                  Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler
                  in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive
                  or unusual noise and annoying smoke, and no person shall use a
                  muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a
                  highway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks. Our code here is pretty much the same except cut-outs aren't mentioned IIRC. My "excessive" threshold has always been very high so I was kind of wondering what the newer LEOs or perhaps experienced veterans perceived as "excessive". Myself, I always talked a bit with the driver first, asked a few questions then decided. I even had a woman complain about a neighbor over his car & after talking to him a bit went back & explained some things to her. She actually apologized to him for calling us about it.....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hemicop View Post
                      . My "excessive" threshold has always been very high so I was kind of wondering what the newer LEOs or perhaps experienced veterans perceived as "excessive". Myself, I always talked a bit with the driver first, asked a few questions then decided. I even had a woman complain about a neighbor over his car & after talking to him a bit went back & explained some things to her. She actually apologized to him for calling us about it.....
                      That is how it is usually handled here......................if tickets are issued it is normally because they talked their way into getting a summons

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                        Ambient noise from adjacent traffic. I HATE modified exhausts, especially Harley-POS-Davidson bikes...

                        HOWEVER, Glasspacks get a pass. One of my old patrol cars had them...
                        I have a similar scale of justice. I don't mind the Harleys, or the hot-rods, or the lifted diesel trucks sith stacks...... But if you blow by me with a fart can exhaust....
                        I make my living on Irish welfare.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I never have cited anyone with a loud exhaust but I will stop them on a regular basis just like an equipment violation. They can lead to great traffic stops more than once since they usually never fix the problem if you don't write them.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've never stopped anyone for loud exhaust, it doesn't really bother me.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hemicop View Post
                              For the LEOs that work in areas where there isn't a set decibel level, how much do you let go in regards to hot rods & exhaust noise?
                              The reason I ask is because, since being retired from full-time duty, I play with hot rods quite a bit & someone mentioned the "volume" my car has. Which got me to thinking-----I always was pretty leinient, but what is YOUR level?
                              Back when I was still working, I too was pretty lenient on the noise level because without a meter, it amounted to my opinion on what was loud which was hard to explain in court. My threshold was when I saw smoke or flame pop from the exhaust. The cut-outs were not tolerated (we called them "dumps" in my day) and the Harley dudes that removed the mufflers and only had straight pipes on their machine was a no-brainer.

                              What made enforcing that easy was the fact most drivers that altered their exhaust systems were constantly showing off by revving up the motor. I had a guy that used to pass by my house on his bike...... and I think just to irritate me..... he'd rev up the motor, hit the kill switch for a couple seconds, turn it back on and make it backfire. His fun ended when he allowed me to log his schedule and have a buddy waiting down the street. I still grin at that memory!
                              If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 9545 users online. 493 members and 9052 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X