300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subjects Driving Away

I have recently noticed that when you have those people that argue the point on a traffic stop that they like to do the old smash the vehicle into gear and take off while your standing beside the vehicle. I've almost been runover a couple of times... of course it resulted in a second stop on the vehicle, but just curious how you guys would handle such an incident. I typically tell the subject to remain where they are until I shut off my emergency lights then they are free to leave, but sometimes, as we all know, things don't go as planned.

Rocket Propelled Grenade.....a little messy, but effective and we don't have to do a pursuit form.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

NOBODY "drives away" from my stops until I'm done.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I had this happen the other night. I had handed back the information and was in mid sentence explaining that when she saw my emergency lights turn off it would be safe to pull back into the roadway, when she put 'er in gear and took off. I did not pursue, but it seems some of you would. What justification in your jurisdiction would allow for such, and at what point do you consider your stop "complete"? We generally consider the stop "complete" when the driver is again in possession of their information.

Comment

Originally posted by UW63 View Post
          I had this happen the other night. I had handed back the information and was in mid sentence explaining that when she saw my emergency lights turn off it would be safe to pull back into the roadway, when she put 'er in gear and took off. I did not pursue, but it seems some of you would. What justification in your jurisdiction would allow for such, and at what point do you consider your stop "complete"? We generally consider the stop "complete" when the driver is again in possession of their information.

I don't understand where you get the bolded part-------
          "Technically" repeat TECHNICALLY if the squad is still behind the car with reds/blue on, the law says (in most states) that you will pull over to the right . Normally until they are no longer behind you (if a passing emergency vehicle passes you they are no longer behind and you can resume)-----It could be by extension that if you are still sitting behind her with lights on, she still should remain parked until the lights are no longer there.

Yea that is stretching it, but I would guess technically it would be a reason to stop the person again for a "teaching moment" I personally think it would be counter-productive.

You can take care of that problem by not giving the person their Drivers License until after you issue the "don't leave until" advisory
          Last edited by Iowa #1603; 08-04-2015, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            "Technically" repeat TECHNICALLY if the squad is still behind the car with reds/blue on, the law says (in most states) that you will pull over to the right . Normally until they are no longer behind you (if a passing emergency vehicle passes you they are no longer behind and you can resume)-----It could be by extension that if you are still sitting behind her with lights on, she still should remain parked until the lights are no longer there.

Yea that is stretching it, but I would guess technically it would be a reason to stop the person again for a "teaching moment" I personally think it would be counter-productive.

You can take care of that problem by not giving the person their Drivers License until after you issue the "don't leave until" advisory
            I just look at it as one of those "pick your battles" situations.

Sure its annoying when people become rude and drive off like that but its not really worth it to go back after them.

Now if they hit me or run over my foot then yes they will be stopped again and rewarded with a trip to the county bed and breakfast.
            Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Comment

Subjects Driving Away

From CCCSD's post.

My FTO said the same thing, don't hand back the info until everything is complete, including any additional instructions.

Totally new to all of this.

Comment

From CCCSD's post.

My FTO said the same thing, don't hand back the info until everything is complete, including any additional instructions.

Nope CCCSD didn't say he would go after them.......................he said that nobody leaves until he is done

Totally diferent

Comment

Nope CCCSD didn't say he would go after them.......................he said that nobody leaves until he is done

Totally diferent
                  Forgive my apparent misinterpretation of the tone of his post.

Comment

If I've completed the stop and am explaining the citation I'd wave and yell bye. If I haven't completed the paperwork I will file on fleeing and eluding.

Comment

Depends on the situation. IMO, generally if someone takes off & it was only a traffic stop....adios. What I have seen is officers attaching the license to the citation book when they give it to the motorist to sign, allowing the motorist to drive off with the citation book, sign it then throw the book at the officer or drive off, forgetting the officer still has his/her license. I simply never give the license back until I'M done with the motorist. That way they have to wait for me or (God forbid!) if anything went REALLY wrong at the stop & the motorist took off, back-up officers would know who to look for.

Comment

From CCCSD's post.

If you interpreted that from the post, you REALLY need extended FTO.
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                          If you interpreted that from the post, you REALLY need extended FTO.
                          Interpreted what? That you would possibly pursue someone who left a traffic stop early? Cuz' the other statement was an agreement with the third paragraph of Iowa's response: "You can take care of that problem by not giving the person their Drivers License until after you issue the "don't leave until" advisory."

Your quote: "NOBODY "drives away" from my stops until I'm done."

I read it with the same inflection you might sense in the following:

NOBODY calls me a name and gets away with it.
                          NOBODY takes my stuff.
                          NOBODY tells me to go get my shine box.

Or what? There is an implied consequence to said action. What would your implied consequence entail? Sorry for assuming it might be re-engagement.

Anyway, not sure how extended FTO is gonna help me understand random guys intended inflection on the internet, but I'll be really sure to bring it up.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
                            Depends on the situation. IMO, generally if someone takes off & it was only a traffic stop....adios. What I have seen is officers attaching the license to the citation book when they give it to the motorist to sign, allowing the motorist to drive off with the citation book, sign it then throw the book at the officer or drive off, forgetting the officer still has his/her license. I simply never give the license back until I'M done with the motorist. That way they have to wait for me or (God forbid!) if anything went REALLY wrong at the stop & the motorist took off, back-up officers would know who to look for.
                            This is what I do as well.

I wrap their copy around their drivers license. When I get my ticket writer back I explain to them what they need to do and the last thing I do is hand them their copy and license. I am walking away as soon as they take their copy and license.

Comment

Cuz' .
                              Really?????
                              Last edited by Tmg; 08-04-2015, 05:35 PM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5651 users online. 347 members and 5304 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X