Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a valid investigative traffic stop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, to all who can't assume that the driver is the RO with a warrant for RS to stop....

...what do you do when dispatch gives the warrant tone when you're sitting behind the car beside the road?

Do you walk up and make contact as usual, or do you initiate a high-risk stop and figure out who it is AFTER they are secured?

If you can't stop the car based on the RO having a warrant, if you HAVE stopped the car for something else, how can you treat the driver as being a risk just because the plate came back with a felony warrant attached?
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 01-13-2015, 10:32 PM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

My patrol vehicle has a LPR system so I get hits for suspended every day. In Maryland I can stop based off the registered owner being suspended. If its not the registered owner driving they are immediately free to go unless you notice any other type of illegal activity in plain view.

Comment

Yes, that would be enough reasonable suspicion unless the officer has reason to beleive that the driver is not the registered owner.
        Did you ever notice that incorrectly is only spelled correctly when it's spelled incorrectly?

Comment

Shoot, we can't even do a rolling plate check if we don't have any sort of PC for a stop.... Stupid...

Comment

I run plates all the time. If the plate comes back having the RO suspended or revoked, we have to be able to articulate the driver is or reasonably could be the RO to conduct the stop.

Comment

Originally posted by stbspd View Post
              Shoot, we can't even do a rolling plate check if we don't have any sort of PC for a stop.... Stupid...
              Ummmm what???
              Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Viking042900 View Post
                Yes, that would be enough reasonable suspicion unless the officer has reason to beleive that the driver is not the registered owner.
                sort of backwards isn't it? You should have RS he is the driver to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon5 View Post
                  You do. It is reasonable to believe that the driver of a car is the owner of the car.
                  Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon5 View Post
                    You do. It is reasonable to believe the owner of a car is the driver.

That's why we do high-risks stops when a license plate pops a felony warrant. We're assuming the owner, the guy with the warrant, is the driver.

Originally posted by stbspd View Post
                    What's stupid is that you need PC for a stop. RS is all that's required to initiate an investigation.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

No good in Floraduh.
                      September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10704 users online. 485 members and 10219 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X