300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take home, unmarked car.

I've got an unmarked car that I have parked in the driveway that is visible from the road and intersection. I live out of my city limits at a 3-way intersection with stop signs. Constantly while outside, people run the stop sign. I don't have kids, but 3 of my neighbors do and they play outside. I've expressed my concern with my local chief and he said he would step up enforcement. Needless to say, no step up in enforcement.

I'd rather not have everyone in the neighborhood knocking on my door asking why I don't pull these folks over. Especially if a kiddo gets clipped.

Any suggestions on how to handle it?

Thanks in advance.

Tell them that you are off duty outside of your jurisdiction.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

I would ask to trade the unmarked car for a marked car and park it at the intersection. I would then take an old uniform stuff it full of hay and put it in the drivers seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        Tell them that you are off duty outside of your jurisdiction.
        I have twice, I think they kinda got the message. Still don't want anything to happen to any kiddos.
        Originally posted by BNWS View Post
        I would ask to trade the unmarked car for a marked car and park it at the intersection. I would then take an old uniform stuff it full of hay and put it in the drivers seat.
        They won't let me have a marked car out of city and its specifically assigned to the our investigative division. I did think about the dummy in the seat though. A little Supper Trooper fishing adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by JayH View Post
          I have twice, I think they kinda got the message. Still don't want anything to happen to any kiddos.
          Nobody does.........................................but. YOU are off duty --outside of your jurisdiction AND you have forwarded the concerns to the CEO of the agency that services the jurisdiction you live in. You really can't do anything else LEGALLY and within POLICY of your agency

I am making a couple assumptions in regard to the law and your policy but absent and ACTUAL emergency or serious crime most agencies don't like there off duty officers taking action outside of their jurisdiction

IT's a balance
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

Very good point. Thank you for the second perspective. Unless an emergency occurs I'm just going to turn the other cheek. No since in getting in trouble over it.

Have a great turkey day!

Comment

Park it in the garage. If you don't have a garage, buy a car cover. But make sure its TACTICAL first!

Comment

Do what everyone else does. Complain to the police. Complain to the Chief. Complain to the mayor. Complain to the city council. Complain to the mayor. Call the local radio station. Call the local TV station. Write a letter to your congressman. Call the Governor. Call Obama. If they are Muslims or gangstas, the DOJ will be there by the end of the day. Otherwise, you're screwed.

Comment

I live in a subdivision at a stop sign controlled T intersection, which two homeowners routinely ignore, at high speed. There seems to always be someone walking a dog or a kid on a bicycle close by, so I too was concerned. I called the PD and asked for a little enforcement but it never happened.

I decided to play a different game. You know how many guys stop by to visit when you have Dr Pepper or coffee for guests? I live on the boundary of three different cities but have old buddies from five different departments sneak by for a drink or potty break. Units from the city I retired from and county units have both issued tickets after seeing blatant violations from my driveway.

Most of the neighbors love having a substation this close!
                  If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

Well, a fail to post then it showed up twice. Sorry.
                    If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

I never had a regular take home squad but whenever I took a car home it always went in the garage. Last thing I wanted is everyone knowing I'm a cop and where I live, no reason to advertise that.

Comment

Originally posted by JayH View Post
                        I've got an unmarked car that I have parked in the driveway that is visible from the road and intersection. I live out of my city limits at a 3-way intersection with stop signs. Constantly while outside, people run the stop sign. I don't have kids, but 3 of my neighbors do and they play outside. I've expressed my concern with my local chief and he said he would step up enforcement. Needless to say, no step up in enforcement.

I'd rather not have everyone in the neighborhood knocking on my door asking why I don't pull these folks over. Especially if a kiddo gets clipped.

Any suggestions on how to handle it?

Thanks in advance.
                        How do you know that there has not been an increase in enforcement or an increase in the amount of time looking for violators?

Comment

Our officers (as with the other small towns here) all have county-wide jurisdiction, so we COULD make stops. We only do if it's a blatant traffic violation or traffic collision/accident, though.

You did what you could by notifying the proper jurisdiction.
                          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                          that we are all that stands between
                          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmallCityCop View Post
                            Our officers (as with the other small towns here) all have county-wide jurisdiction, so we COULD make stops. We only do if it's a blatant traffic violation or traffic collision/accident, though.

You did what you could by notifying the proper jurisdiction.
                            In Iowa a certified officer/deputy has statewide jurisdiction.

But only a fool would make a stop or take action out of their primary jurisdiction unless it was a very serious situation.

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11360 users online. 465 members and 10895 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X