300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decisions on new fleet. Input needed

Looking at ordering vehicles for our fleet. Our area is a small city with plenty of rural and dirt areas, so im leaning more towards SUV style. Pressed between the ford and tahoo. Any in put on pro and cons as well as set up would be appreciated.

I have driven the Tahoe (RWD NOT police package),new Ford Utility, F150 (special service package) and Crown Vic on duty. Nothing will ever top the Crown Vic. That being said, I think the new Ford Utility is a good overall performer for city patrol. I can't speak for highway patrol. Chevy will be releasing a new AWD 2015 Police Package Tahoe which I think will deserve a serious look

Hope that helps.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
    ― Edmund Burke

Comment

One thing I recently discovered about the Ford sedan and utility during some EVOC training is that they are VERY quick under 100mph, but have a hard time above that. If you do a lot of freeway stuff you may want to look elsewhere.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

For dirt roads/rural places, I would look at 4WD SUVs like the Tahoes. You might be able to score some deals on used 4WD Explorers, Expeditions, etc through govt auctions.
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
        that we are all that stands between
        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Can you purchase under your state's deeply discounted contract for police vehicles? If so, the research may already have been done by your state police or highway patrol as to which SUV is the most serviceable for law enforcement use and because of bulk buying, you get the best price.

Many local agencies in purchase under my state's highway patrol contract and get a good SUV at a deeply discounted price.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

As L-1 stated, check with your State Police agency to see if you can buy under their contract.

The California Highway Patrol as well as the Michigan State Police do EXTENSIVE testing of a number of vehicles and publish their results

Here is the 2013 Michigan report
            http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...m_406312_7.pdf

and the 2014 report
            http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...4_448152_7.pdf

Comment

I want to say the state price here on the new ford SUV is $26K.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

If you have a lot a country roads then an SUV is the only way to go. It will save you so much on maintenance costs. Country roads destroy cars like the charger.

For 2015 Chevy is introducing a 4wd pursuit rated Tahoe. That may be the way to go.
                Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Comment

Tahoe all the way. I don't think I've ever met any officer who has disliked them. They are everything you need plus more. The only downside is that they do cost a little more than the new Ford SUV. I have only driven the 4wd version. I've heard those with the 2wd versions are no better off than the crown vics in snow or mud.
                  Alex: You do what you are Jezzie.

Jezzie: You mean you are what you do.

Alex: No, I mean, you do what you are. You're born with a gift. If not that, then you get good at something along the way. And what you're good at, you don't take for granted. You don't betray it.

Jezzie: What if you do, betray your gift?

Alex: Then you betray yourself. That's a sad thing.

Comment

I don't have too much experience with the SUV's but I can tell you this, stay away from the Caprice. In my opinion they're way too narrow, don't have that "pick up" when you step on the gas like you would expect out of a squad, and for some un-Godly reason they're not AWD. There's also a huge officer safety issue with the doors in that if you drive with the squad doors locked and then need to bail out, they don't open. With the Crown Vic's and most cars if you just pull the handle the lock will pop. With the Caprice the door locks won't pop if you pull the handle, so you have to always hit the unlock button. It's not hard to train yourself to, but in a high stress situation we all know that fine motor skills are the first thing to go...

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                      I want to say the state price here on the new ford SUV is $26K.
                      The 2015 Tahoes went up to $32,000
                      Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
                        The 2015 Tahoes went up to $32,000
                        You can get them cheaper if you bulk order. We just priced out a 2015 Tahoe and it is around 26K but that is if we gte on with DPS' order.

Comment

We've got several of the new Explorers and I'm driving a 2013 4-door F150. They're both nice , but the F150 short on storage space. Both vehicles have lots of room in the back seat. The Explorer is nicer for working traffic, tho, because of the short wheel base.

Don't know what the mileage is on the Tahoes, but I think we're getting close to 19 mpg with the Explorers. I get between 15 and 20 with the truck depending on how fast I drive and how long I sit idling. That truck sucks gas almost as fast in park as it does at 90 for some reason.
                          Last edited by chapwolfe; 07-03-2014, 03:10 PM.
                          Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
                          Among Texas' finest
                          Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
                          Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
                          Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
                            You can get them cheaper if you bulk order. We just priced out a 2015 Tahoe and it is around 26K but that is if we gte on with DPS' order.
                            Any cons doing it that way? Does it take longer to get them?
                            Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
                              Any cons doing it that way? Does it take longer to get them?
                              Im not sure all the details. I found this out from the guy that is ordering it. We where talking prices and he was going over the different prices. He did say that we had to get it the way DPS orders them. So we really couldn't change options.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7623 users online. 433 members and 7190 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X