Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KaiGywer
    Insert whitty remark here
    • Aug 2005

ND is a $20 fine for No Driver's License. If you're suspended, it's a B misdemeanor (or A if you have a bunch of them)

Comment

• cgravines
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2010

In PA it is a summary offence. So is driving on a suspended license. $200 fine plus costs. They have even gone so far as to say if they never had a license you can't charge with driving while suspended because they didn't have a license to suspend. This comes into play because to be a habitual offender it only counts if you have multiple suspended tickets. Multiple no license tickets doesn't fall under that section as habitual. The Hispanic population I encounter frequently often do not have licenses and they can't be cited for suspended even if they did something that would suspend some licensed driver.

It's really a crock of **** how the law has been organized. I'm envious of those states that it is a crime.
      West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
      Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
      Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

Comment

• CAA_919
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2014

To piggyback on Kermit's post about Florida… Two prior convictions of Driving without a Valid License can be upgraded to a Felony.

Comment

• retired
          Senior Veteran
          • Jun 2000

Originally posted by Sierra259
          12500(a) California Vehicle Code, criminal misdemeanor.

Can be prosecuted as an infraction (which is the case in my county, except for habitual traffic offenders or if the person is booked for another crime).
          When I was active, if you actually did have a license, and you were not able to produce it when you were pulled over, you will normally be charged with an infraction under California vehicle code section 12951. Once you prove to the court that you have a valid license, the charge is usually dismissed. If you have no driver's license, or if your license is expired or invalid, you face other penalties.
          Retired

Comment

• EnWhyPeeDee
            Forum Member
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by cgravines
            In PA it is a summary offence. So is driving on a suspended license. $200 fine plus costs. They have even gone so far as to say if they never had a license you can't charge with driving while suspended because they didn't have a license to suspend. This comes into play because to be a habitual offender it only counts if you have multiple suspended tickets. Multiple no license tickets doesn't fall under that section as habitual. The Hispanic population I encounter frequently often do not have licenses and they can't be cited for suspended even if they did something that would suspend some licensed driver.

It's really a crock of **** how the law has been organized. I'm envious of those states that it is a crime.
            In New York, anyone who is issued a summons without a NY DLIC receives a New York client ID number. If you don't answer the summons or fail to pay it, New York suspends your privilege. Operating a m/v in New York with a suspended privilege (Aggravated Unlicensed Operator)is an unclassified misdemeanor or a felony depending on the number of suspensions you have (10 susp on 10 dates = felony) or if you are suspended/revoked for an alcohol offense and are being arrested for DWI/DWAI Drugs (felony)

Comment

• mdrdep
              An Obvious problem
              • May 2007

Also in California if you have never had a driver's license your vehicle may be impounded for 30 days.
              Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
              Albert Einstein

Comment

• tanksoldier
                • Dec 2009

Colorado:

C.R.S. 42-2-101

(1) Except as otherwise provided in part 4 of this article for commercial drivers, no person shall drive any motor vehicle upon a highway in this state unless such person has been issued a currently valid driver's or minor driver's license or an instruction permit by the department under this article.

(10) Any person who violates any provision of subsection (1) or (4) of this section is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor traffic offense. Any person who violates any provision of subsection (2), (3), or (5) of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Sierra259
                  Forum Member
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by retired
                  When I was active, if you actually did have a license, and you were not able to produce it when you were pulled over, you will normally be charged with an infraction under California vehicle code section 12951. Once you prove to the court that you have a valid license, the charge is usually dismissed. If you have no driver's license, or if your license is expired or invalid, you face other penalties.
                  I've always used 12500(a) VC for when DMV records come back with no match or only an Index Number (X-Number). If I can find them in DMV and they're valid/clear, I wouldn't cite for 12951(a) VC unless they were being a problem.

Originally posted by mdrdep
                  Also in California if you have never had a driver's license your vehicle may be impounded for 30 days.
                  Ah, by policy we can only tow for evidence reasons, repeat offender, or other extraordinary circumstances.

Comment

• axelfoley4
                    Forum Member
                    • Dec 2009

In Illinois its a class A misdemeanor offense 625ilcs 5/6-101. It's also a misdemeanor offense to let your license expire over a year (basically equals no valid license). I don't think I've ever seen anyone do jail time for it before.

The first time is a slap on the wrist, every time afterwards they get fined heavy with escalating fines. But with the new law allowing illegals to get drivers licenses here, this ticket will probably be getting issued less and less every year

Last edited by axelfoley4; 04-16-2014, 10:12 AM.
                    Alex: You do what you are Jezzie.

Jezzie: You mean you are what you do.

Alex: No, I mean, you do what you are. You're born with a gift. If not that, then you get good at something along the way. And what you're good at, you don't take for granted. You don't betray it.

Jezzie: What if you do, betray your gift?

Alex: Then you betray yourself. That's a sad thing.

Comment

• mdrdep
                      An Obvious problem
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by Sierra259

Ah, by policy we can only tow for evidence reasons, repeat offender, or other extraordinary circumstances.
                      Anybody ever try and explain the liability issues to your agency with failure to follow state law as a matter of policy?
                      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

• BikeCop501
                        Verified LEO
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by ftttu
                        Here in Texas, traffic violations are mostly Class C misdemeanors which is the lowest criminal level, but there higher offenses also listed in our Code.

Texas Transportation Code
                        Sec. 521.021. LICENSE REQUIRED. A person, other than a person expressly exempted under this chapter, may not operate a motor vehicle on a highway in this state unless the person holds a driver's license issued under this chapter.

Sec. 521.025. LICENSE TO BE CARRIED AND EXHIBITED ON DEMAND; CRIMINAL PENALTY.
                        (This section has the penalties but are too large to post here)
                        Also, if you allow someone to operate a vehicle with out a DL, that too is a citable offense
                        Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

• Sierra259
                          Forum Member
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by mdrdep
                          Anybody ever try and explain the liability issues to your agency with failure to follow state law as a matter of policy?
                          As much as I'd like to do that, I'm not going to be that person. I'm waaaaay too low on the totem pole to be making a stink about that.

Comment

• ozarkslawman
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2011

Arkansas - At my agency, we don't arrest for No DL, but if a licensed driver cannot get to the scene in 10-15 minutes, we impound the vehicle and send the driver walking.

Comment

• SCSU10
                              Police Officer
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by CAA_919
                              To piggyback on Kermit's post about Florida… Two prior convictions of Driving without a Valid License can be upgraded to a Felony.
                              I wish we had this! I arrested a guy about 6 months ago that his license was suspended 13 times in 2013. Normally for driving after suspension we issue a citation.
                              "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

• choiiiiiiiiiii
                                Forum Member
                                • Jul 2011

VA is 46.2-300

first offense is a class 2 misdemeanor. after that class 1 misdemeanor.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12134 users online. 74 members and 12060 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...