Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you get back in your car on a traffic stop after the initial contact?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amvlasic View Post
    After making initial contact, I usually go back inside the patrol car and sit with one foot out and my door open. I will run my returns via MDC to limit radio traffic. I was recently shown a different technique by conducting my returns via radio directly behind my patrol car trunk on the passenger side. The rationale was that if someone was going to jump out and shoot, the are more than likely going to be throwing bullets down range toward the driver seat.

Anyone else have ways to make traffic stops safer and make sure we all go home after our shift?

This technique (new to me) was brought to my attention after several officers were killed, after the initial contact with a traffic violator.
    I do my traffic stops like the OP stated that he does his. I always keep my eyes on the people in the vehicle though while I'm writing out the summons.

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
      Wood, I try and get that done before I make the stop. Once my stop is made I'm out of the car. At that point an aggressive opponent will just target the vehicle's driver area.
      I'm curious which you consider more likely: A traffic stop subject attempting to kill you in your car, or a oblivious driver running you over on the roadside?
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Depending on the circumstance, I either sit in my car or outside my car.
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
        that we are all that stands between
        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Have to wite summons in the vehicle on our TRACS system. I've mastered the ability to type with one eye on the screen and one on the car and occupants.
          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10911 users online. 439 members and 10472 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X