300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enforcement of Tinted Windows

Just curious, but how many of you out there actively enforce illegal tinted windows. I just recently got a tint meter, and love it. It allows me to make contact with about 50% of the cars (probably not a real accurate %, but you get my point). I almost never cite for it. Just a written warning, and on to the next one. I use it to simply make a lot of contacts, and ultimately find other crimes. I was just curious how many others are actively making stops based on tint, and the one that are did you purchase your own meter or did your department issue yours.
    Here is how the sheep and the sheepdog think differently. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day for the sheepdog is prepared and has the capacity for violence.

The answers are gonna be as multi-colored as a box of crayons. I run window tint quite a bit but I have guys on my squad that won't stop for it. Keep your eyes peeled and continue looking for things beyond just the tint.

Comment

I stop for it a lot, but like you rarely cite for it. We have a bunch of meters at each sector we can sign out, same as laser radar and a few other things. I find it works well as easy PC
      In Valor there is hope

Comment

I stop for it...and cite for it but that depends on a few things. Most of the time I use it to look for other things. Department provided me a meter.

B.
        2010 Graduate of Reinhardt University Police Academy
        Class 10-004

Comment

All the time...it's easy here as any on front windows is illegal without a medical permit.

Comment

I love tint violations 'cause it gets me in the car for a free look around. In Wisconsin I can write a citation for each window (If I wanna be a jerk but never would do it). So I stop some vehicle for tint. Test one window and offer to test all the windows to be a nice guy and let them know if its legal or not. If these drivers think you are being a nice guy they will let you do anything. I get to start opening doors and looking around (Plain View). You never know what you may find in plain view.

Comment

I will stop the vehicle and then seize the tinted window for evidence. I will then submit it to the STATE crime lab for testing. When I get the results back I will then cite the violator.

J/K I just use a tint meter if one is available. Its a 35% limit here so its really not that hard to tell when windows are darker than the limit. Most of time I will not cite and just give an Safety Equipment Repair Order unless the windshield is tinted. If I see the person has been given a warning before or a SERO I will cite.
              Last edited by MDPOLICE; 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPOLICE View Post
                I will stop the vehicle and then seize the tinted window for evidence. I will then submit it to the STATE crime lab for testing. When I get the results back I will then cite the violator.

J/K I just use a tint meter if one is available. Its a 35% limit here so its really not that hard to tell when windows are darker than the limit. Most of time I will not cite and just give an Safety Equipment Repair Order unless the windshield is tinted. If I see the person has been given a warning before or a SERO I will cite.
                E-tix must be nice
                The Few, The Proud, The Marines...

Comment

Tint, bad mufflers, worn tire tread, no seatbelts, loud music, inoperable tag lamps, failure to signal for a lane change, and obstructed view are but just a few instigators for me to have initiated a stop. While the vast majority of those stops did not end up with an arrest or even a citation; it was PC to stop and demonstrated a consistent pattern of enforcement for when a stop was challenged.
                  Originally posted by SSD
                  It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                  Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                  And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
                    Tint, bad mufflers, worn tire tread, no seatbelts, loud music, inoperable tag lamps, failure to signal for a lane change, and obstructed view are but just a few instigators for me to have initiated a stop. While the vast majority of those stops did not end up with an arrest or even a citation; it was PC to stop and demonstrated a consistent pattern of enforcement for when a stop was challenged.
                    A cop can stop a car, a good cop can stop any car.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill321 View Post
                      I love tint violations 'cause it gets me in the car for a free look around. In Wisconsin I can write a citation for each window (If I wanna be a jerk but never would do it). So I stop some vehicle for tint. Test one window and offer to test all the windows to be a nice guy and let them know if its legal or not. If these drivers think you are being a nice guy they will let you do anything. I get to start opening doors and looking around (Plain View). You never know what you may find in plain view.
                      I once used this same technique, and found a big bag of dope sitting in plain view in the back seat!

Comment

Originally posted by Hummerville View Post
                        I once used this same technique, and found a big bag of dope sitting in plain view in the back seat!
                        What was the dope's name???
                        My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

I don't do a lot of traffic anymore, but if someone with tint does something dumb enough to get pulled over by me, I almost always cite for it. It's correctable here and tint is a pet peeve of mine. It's a significant officer safety issue and a safety issue for the driver. People with tinted windshields are in danger of getting their vehicle towed if I stop them. My tint meter was issued. Front limit: 70%. Rear limit: 40%.
                          The DA/SA handgun: A NAZI solution to a problem that didn't exist!

Comment

I USED TO, "back in the day", until about the last 2 years of my service.

At first, it was just a written-warning-with-order-to-appear-with-same-removed. Unfortunately, I was not able to follow-up, so switched-up to charge-with-written-warning-that-if-appear-with-same-removed-charge-to-be-pulled. That switched to charge plus I would scrape off.

My Cpl for the last 3 years did not like us spending time on equipment infractions, but even he started doing some of the charge-plus-scrapes. Unfortunately, the scrapings led to public complaints for ALL of us, so we dropped it.

Regulations up here are that NOTHING can be added to the inside surface of the driver or right front passenger windows, no matter what level of light-transmission-reduction.

The registration / insurance authority would NOT cancel coverage for fail-to-appear.
                            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                            "Smile" - no!

Comment

I would, but my tint meter isn't working!

plus at night, it's hard to tell the level of tint (regular tint looks illegal due to night conditions) so....

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7870 users online. 402 members and 7468 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X