300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Tint Enforcement Action

I bought my own tint meter for about $75 or so..

The agency I work for has about 27~ miles of I-95 running through it. I conduct many traffic stops on the interstate for window tint violation. I usually do not cite people for it though. The main reason being is even though they are traveling through Georgia and are to abide by our laws, I sometimes wonder whether the window tint law in their state does allow for them to have their windows that dark.

My question is, if you were in my shoes, would you write out of state people for window tint violation? I sometimes will write people from Georgia for under 10%, but that is because I "figure" that they should know the legal limit before getting it put on their vehicle.

Thanks.

Get one of those cards that lists window tint regulations for all 50 states and base your enforcement action upon that.

Comment

where do u find those cards at?

Comment

Hmm, I just looked at a website that shows the window tint limits for each state..I usually start writing people at below 10-15%...That personal limit would still be FAR below all the limits for each of the states.

Comment

Tennessee changed the window tint law last year. We cannot cite for window tine being too dark unless we cans show that it violates the laws of the state where the vehicle is registered. It is still a good stop, but hard to cite.
          10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime. (SgtScott31 jacked this from me, I had it first, but no hard feelings.)

Comment

I would not site an out-of-state vehicle for window tinting. I have enough violations to worry about and occupy my shift without looking for an out-of-state, non-moving traffic violation. Doesn't GSP provide enough enforcement action on I-95 through your county? Are you a traffic officer for your agency?

Although there is certainly nothing wrong with you doing traffic on I-95 for the GSP, if I were your supervisor I would encourage you to perform your assigned tasks within your beat area in the community where you are serving. Did you ever consider applying for GSP? It might be more to your liking - working nothing but traffic on the interstates.

Not being critical, just offering a better alternative.
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I use a tint meter but I really don't give a rats a** about writing the violations. I like getting in the car and looking around (Plain View search of the interior while I'm testing all the windows). The heck with it on I 95 you aren't looking for tint its just the reason to get in the vehicle and find something better. Give them a warning and move on to the next one. Interdiction is a high volume game. Nothing says you gotta cite them for the violation.(Verbal Warning) If you find something write the citation and let them throw it out. Who cares about the traffic citation if you get cash or dope. Your PC for the stop is the illegal tint. I went to a lot of Interdiction schools and they all had one thing in common you gotta do a high volume of quick stops. (20 or more per day) If you think you got nothing move on. Don't waste your time writing tickets if you don't have to. Happy Hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                I would not site an out-of-state vehicle for window tinting. I have enough violations to worry about and occupy my shift without looking for an out-of-state, non-moving traffic violation. Doesn't GSP provide enough enforcement action on I-95 through your county? Are you a traffic officer for your agency?

Although there is certainly nothing wrong with you doing traffic on I-95 for the GSP, if I were your supervisor I would encourage you to perform your assigned tasks within your beat area in the community where you are serving. Did you ever consider applying for GSP? It might be more to your liking - working nothing but traffic on the interstates.

Not being critical, just offering a better alternative.
                I know I've seen other LEO's such as LADEP say that they pretty much leave the interstate to the highway patrol. Of course for an agency like his with a crazy call volume, you don't have time to patrol the interstate.

I prefer not to disclose my agency on an open forum, but we usually have a relatively low call volume. WE handle all calls for service on the interstate such as reckless vehicle calls, broken down vehicles, and accidents (GSP will work wrecks with injuries for us). Almost every Deputy here does quite a bit of traffic enforcement on the interstate.

We have 27~ miles of I-95 running through our jurisdiction. If I am working the north end of the county, I will handle my calls, check the businesses/residential areas/local highways, but do most of my traffic stops on the interstate. If I work the south end, many of my traffic stops will be on the local roads since there is a lot more activity on the local roads on the south end.

No I'm not on a traffic unit or any kind of specialized unit. The Trooper that usually patrols around my county usually runs traffic on the local roads. I very rarely see him run traffic on the interstate since we and one of the local PD's pretty much have it covered.

I guess every area is different, because there are many areas in GA where you NEVER see local agencies sitting on I-75, I-95, I-16 etc.

Comment

I never even stop out of state cars for tint, let alone write them for it. I'll stop locals for it almost every time, but I wont write it unless they give me attitude or to "give them a break" if there is also a more serious violation that I could have written for. Window tint is an easy way to rack up some court time here in NY if you want to. The law is 70% translucency or greater, so basically anything darker than my patrol car windows is illegal. The windshield, back windshield, and both sets of side windows are each a separate VTL section, so you could theoretically write 4 tickets for someone with all windows tinted. They always challenge and plead not guilty since most people here for some reason seem to think that it's only illegal to tint the front windows.

Comment

I can't cite out of state cars for tint, KY tint law specifies that it applies to vehicles that are required to be registered in KY. Except for CMVs, then the FMCSRs kick in and I would cite for those.

Comment

Illinois used to allow 5% for all windows except the windshield up until like 2007. I usually don't enforce tint unless they are being complete *******s.

Comment

Originally posted by Code10-15 View Post
                        I bought my own tint meter for about $75 or so..
                        Your dept./state code allows you to purchase your own and not dept. issued meter without calibration and maintenance records?
                        Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

Here, it's a fix-it-ticket, and the judge will just dismiss it if you show up to court and can show the bailiff that you've removed the tint on the vehicle you were ticketed in. I write for it fairly regularly (not anywhere nearly as often as our state troopers do. We have relatively few out of state vehicles, but I generally write everyone.
                          The academy teaches you skills, the street gives you experience, but it all comes down to your instinct.

Comment

I won't write one from out of state unless they are just asking for a ticket. If they're local, pretty much the same deal. I like having my windows pretty dark because it gets so hot here in the summer. It's still good PC to stop them and have a chat though.

Comment

I know I've seen other LEO's such as LADEP say that they pretty much leave the interstate to the highway patrol. Of course for an agency like his with a crazy call volume, you don't have time to patrol the interstate.
                              True, but agencies with highways running through them see it as an opportunity to expand their horizons and wallets.

I prefer not to disclose my agency on an open forum, but we usually have a relatively low call volume. WE handle all calls for service on the interstate such as reckless vehicle calls, broken down vehicles, and accidents (GSP will work wrecks with injuries for us). Almost every Deputy here does quite a bit of traffic enforcement on the interstate.
                              Pretty easy to figure out which agency so don't beat around the bush. Don't hide from it, but the primary law enforcement officer in GA is the Sheriff. So if he/she want's to be on the highway, so be it.

We have 27~ miles of I-95 running through our jurisdiction. If I am working the north end of the county, I will handle my calls, check the businesses/residential areas/local highways, but do most of my traffic stops on the interstate. If I work the south end, many of my traffic stops will be on the local roads since there is a lot more activity on the local roads on the south end.
                              I have I-95 in my state but not my troop. I would LOVE to cherry pick my work on there and just do traffic, but my troopers that cover that road are running call to call all damn shift with very little time to be proactive.

No I'm not on a traffic unit or any kind of specialized unit. The Trooper that usually patrols around my county usually runs traffic on the local roads. I very rarely see him run traffic on the interstate since we and one of the local PD's pretty much have it covered.

I guess every area is different, because there are many areas in GA where you NEVER see local agencies sitting on I-75, I-95, I-16 etc.
                              I beg to differ. Many interdiction teams come from small towns or sheriff departments. They also know that the SP/HP agency in their area is usually thin and there's no territorial fights going on. Check out Black Asphalt or NCEA for highlights of their work.

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
                              Your dept./state code allows you to purchase your own and not dept. issued meter without calibration and maintenance records?
                              Back to the OP. Anybody can purchase one and it comes with two test pieces that you use to calibrate before and after your enforcement. Not that hard. When it comes to out-of-state tint, there's no way that should be your primary violation because you're right next to FL which has the most cars with the darkest windows I've ever seen. Plus there seems to be very little enforcement within their state. Find the tint, but I'd also look for another violation.

If you're just an ATM (armed ticket machine) then go on with your bad self and keep a box of pens handy. But if you work I-95 in GA there's NO WAY you shouldn't be knocking down huge dope and money pinches every week. Find someone who knows what they're doing and learn from them.

Be safe
                              Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6377 users online. 294 members and 6083 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X