Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best place to mount front radar antenna.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best place to mount front radar antenna.

I have a Decatur Genesis 1 that I recently acquired from one of my co-workers who got a new radar installed in his cruiser. I have the rear antenna mounted on the rear deck on the far left side of the car, shooting out of the rear window and it works fine. The front antenna is aimed out of the windshield hanging from the drivers sun-visor bracket (right side of left visor if that makes sense).

The problem is that the front antenna seems to be especially weak. It is accurate (just certified/calibrated on 4/6) but it has a low range, and will not respond to any cars that are further away than the lane I am immediately next to (i.e. wont pick up traffic I want in the opposing lane).

I don't know whether it is a problem with the antenna itself or if it has trouble transmitting and receiving through the front windshield, or if there is a better mounting location. I thought of putting it on the dash but I don't really want to drill holes in the dash.My agency does not purchase or install these systems for us. Nor do they support them (except for certification/calibration) so asking fleet would be a waste of time.

If any of you have had similar problems with this system or any experience in the best place to mount a front antenna I would love to hear it. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
    To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

You've got a few options there. The troopers I know up here have theirs attached to the driver's side of their lightbar. Mine is on the dash on the driver's side. If it's getting interference with the side of the windshield move it over a bit to towards the center of the car.
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

My old dept had Genesis 1's in pretty much all the cars. First, do you have the range turned all the way up? (Stupid question, I know, but still has to be asked) Also, is the cable seated well? As for placement, I liked mine to be in the far left hand side of the window (my left when driving) but my Sgt liked his up high in the center, next to the camera. Everyone else seemed to use one of those positions as well. When I was working radar on a 4 lane divided road, I would turn the antenna towards that road and get as close to that roadway as I could. It also seemed to go through spurts of having awesome range, then sucking.
      Originally posted by Ceridwen
      Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

I personally like mounted on dash on the left side. I like to be able to easily see the antenna to avoid any issues if anybody has messed with my radar. I can easily tell if it is pointed straight and it's easy to keep clear of obstructions.
        Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

You might want to try pointing your antenna towards the left a little bit. depending on where I'm sitting I can turn my antenna slightly to pick up vehicles. Just keep in mind the angular effect.

Comment

Left side of dash on my left, aimed slightly to the left to get better range on oncoming traffic. I enforce CMV laws so thats alot of steel/metal to track making it easier. Never had a problem with my front antenna, however, my rear antenna in "same" mode doesn't do as good, its center of rear window mounted under the child safety hook on the deck.

Comment

Can you swap the front and rear antenna and see if it is the antenna, or interference. I had about 30 MPH Pythons in my fleet before we went to Stalkers. Several of the Pythons had week antennas.

I always liked to mount with a stick on glass mount, as far left, and as high as possible.

Comment

I have a Stalker Dual and have a special bracket mount designed for the sun visor. I cant put my visor down but it's a solid location and I'm pretty content with it.

I had an old Decatur Genesis and had the same problems with it. I took the rear antenna and made it the front antenna and didnt have any problems with it for an entire month, before it stopped working altogether. Problem is, they're just old and no one really makes parts for it anymore. My front antenna, on the best possible scenario, wouldn't track s-hit.

Comment

I have a Golden Eagle II...my agency actually has a policy on how the radar is mounted. Front antannae is mounted on the far left side (driver's side) dash and the rear antannae is mounted from the ceiling on the far left side (driver's side). I don't have too many problems picking up traffic with either one.
                  I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
                  it" - Thucydides

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JDCOP View Post
                    I personally like mounted on dash on the left side. I like to be able to easily see the antenna to avoid any issues if anybody has messed with my radar. I can easily tell if it is pointed straight and it's easy to keep clear of obstructions.
                    Yeah, I like my front radar mounted on the dash, on the far left hand side of the steering wheel. It's easy to adjust, especially to where your running stationary radar. I drive a Chevy Tahoe, and I like my rear radar on the top corner of the driver side.

Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
                    I have a Stalker Dual and have a special bracket mount designed for the sun visor. I cant put my visor down but it's a solid location and I'm pretty content with it.
                    I have the Stalker Dual SL, and it's a great radar unit. You don't have to manually change from "patrol" to "stationary" and the newer remote controls are sweet.
                    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

So when you stop, it automatically changes to stationary? That's pretty cool.

I wonder what the SL model has that mine doesn't, other than the auto switching modes. How new is it?

Comment

The Stalker has and Golden Eagle has the cable that plugs in to the vehicle wheel speed sensor. It changes it from moving to stationary. It also prevents shadowing, and baching.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5425 users online. 310 members and 5115 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X