300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green LED Stimulus for SFSTs

An officer from another agency backed me up recently on a DUI stop and let me use her pen light, which had a little green LED on the end as the stimulus as I did HGN. It worked very well and I'd like to get one. I failed to ask what it was called or where she got it...anyone have any ideas?

I did a search on here and google and couldn't find anything. Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by flash40 View Post
    An officer from another agency backed me up recently on a DUI stop and let me use her pen light, which had a little green LED on the end as the stimulus as I did HGN. It worked very well and I'd like to get one. I failed to ask what it was called or where she got it...anyone have any ideas?

I did a search on here and google and couldn't find anything. Thanks for your help!
    Streamlight Polystylus, I use one myself. I like blue though.

Comment

I prefer the original Stylus with the aluminum barrel (and I like red).
      Originally posted by kontemplerande
      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Expand on this, why do you like is versus a regular flashlight?

Comment

Originally posted by SW_MN View Post
          I'm not sure, I just did. The guy was a real goof and probably on PCP. Luckily, he wasn't violent (until later), but I was having a tough time getting him to focus on anything. When the other officer handed me the green pen, he seemed to lock right onto it. I was able to see all six clues plus vertical, which was a first for me.

Strange coincidence, I found one of the pens wedged in the back seat of the car I checked out today. I look forward to trying it again next time I find an impaired driver.

Comment

Was told in an SFST class not to use LED pen lights, the thought was that they might cause HGN on their own. Doubt if that is true, but keep in mind that is what some people are putting out and defense might bring it up. I'd check with your DREs about it.

Comment

Not sure how they would cause nystagmus. That goes back to knowing HGN etc. Defense atty's will try to get you to say everything causes nystagmus.
              "Do not be deceived:Bad company corrupts good morals."
              1 Corinthians 15:

You are the weapon, everything else is just a tool

Comment

Any color stimulus is just fine, and WILL NOT cause HGN. You are not shining it directly into the suspect's eyes, but are using it to give them a very easy object to follow. I used to use a red one until the batteries died and some other things started to go wrong with it, so now I use a green one. The only thing that you need to take into consideration is any lights of similar color that may be behind you that could possibly get confused with your stimulus, and most of the time, the suspect will let you know if that happens.

The original (aluminum) is the Streamlight Stylus and comes in red, blue, green, white and UV (would not reccommend the UV for SFST's as it is hard to see). The Streamlight Polystylus uses plastic instead of aluminum.

Originally posted by SW_MN View Post
                I would venture a guess that the stylus is not being used to illuminate the suspect's eyes or face, but used as a stimulus for the suspect to follow, replacing a pen, finger, etc. The stylus is a perfectly acceptable stimulus for performing the HGN test.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                  Was told in an SFST class not to use LED pen lights, the thought was that they might cause HGN on their own. Doubt if that is true, but keep in mind that is what some people are putting out and defense might bring it up. I'd check with your DREs about it.
                  You must have had the old curriculum. The newest update specifically recommends using a lighted stimulus in low-light situations and a contrasting stimulus for daylight.

Originally posted by usmcrob View Post
                  I would venture a guess that the stylus is not being used to illuminate the suspect's eyes or face, but used as a stimulus for the suspect to follow, replacing a pen, finger, etc. The stylus is a perfectly acceptable stimulus for performing the HGN test.
                  Exactly. It creates a small glowing target for the person to focus on. Many people have trouble focusing on a finger in the dark, especially drunks. The LED stimulus is a unique focus point. As mentioned, you're not using it to illuminate their eyes and face, you still need a standard flashlight for that.
                  Originally posted by kontemplerande
                  Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I also like the lighted stimulus as it is very easy to follow when reviewing my in car camera footage. A savvy lawyer may question how well you conducted SFST's, but when you can simply play the footage for the court and everyone follow what you did, it makes like a lot easier.

Comment

I also use a streamlight pen light. I have a blue one. They work well to get the subject to focus on the stimulus. I have never heard of the argument that the penlight causes nystagmus. That would be a very foolish argument if the officer on the stand remembers anything from training. If they are clueless, then its a very good argument in court.

The best thing about Streamlight is a lifetime warranty.

USMCRob, the penlight does help a little in illuminating their eyes.
                      Drug Recognition Expert

Comment

Take a look at a NHTSA SFST manual. Everything will be explained there. Pen lights are not necessary, but they help when you're drunk is trashed out of his mind. You're 0.08-0.10 drunks shouldn't have too much trouble following the tip of your finger or pen.

Comment

not true........................
                          John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                            not true
                            John 3:16

Comment

I use the blue stylus as well. I think it is a good combo between easily traceable light and its not too harsh on the eyes so the Duce will keep their eyes open enough to track the clues. (usually)
                              www.tactical-practical.com If you don't have a sword,sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11361 users online. 465 members and 10896 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X