300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar certification vs qualification

I posted this in the MO section and was wondering how it is for other states. I've worked for my dept. for 3 years and have never been "certified" to run radar. I was told when I began here that you only have to be "qualified" to run radar. In other words, know how it works, how to test it, ect. and you're fine (for court purposes). I had assumed it would be in laws if we had to technically be certified to use them but I'm not finding anything. If someone knows and knows WHERE to find the documents stating a police officer has to be "certified" please tell me. I've looked all over MO State Statutes and can't find anything. Something for any other state would give me a starting place. Thanks.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." --Dave Grossman

I don't know about MO, but Indiana doesn't require any type of certification. Department regs might, but nothing in the IC code. MO may be the same way.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

In Virginia, it's a 40 hour class, plus 8 hours of observation time with a current operator, 4 of which must be done at night. You also need to recertify every three years.
      Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Your state sounds similar to TN. There is no state law or POST mandate to be certified. You just have to have a working knowledge, setting up and properly using it.
        Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

I teach RADAR to new officers and the below case is very common. It states that the officer must know how to properly set up, test, and operate the RADAR. I would guess your skills and "training" would be evaluated by the judge to see if it fits Honeycutt.

Erna Elijah Honeycutt v Commonwealth of Kentucky (1966 KY)
          408 SW2d 421
          Connecticut Supreme Court ruling. In this appeal the court rejects the arguments of the appellant that the evidence should not have been admitted and establishes that:
          1.) A properly constructed and operated radar is capable of accurate measurements;
          2.) The tuning fork is an accurate method of determining radar accuracy;
          3.) It is sufficient an operator have knowledge and training as enables him properly to set up, test and read the radar;
          4.) Operator not required to understand scientific principles of radar or be able to explain internal workings;
          5.) The officer's estimate of excessive speed from visual observation, when confirmed by the radar and the offending vehicle is out front by itself, nearest the radar is sufficient to identify the vehicle if the officer's visula observations support the radar.
          I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Comment

Originally posted by rpd1794 View Post
            In Virginia, it's a 40 hour class, plus 8 hours of observation time with a current operator, 4 of which must be done at night. You also need to recertify every three years.
            Wow, 40 hours of RADAR plus 8 hours of observation. We do 8 hours for stationary RADAR and 16 hours for moving RADAR. There is no requirement for recertification.
            I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Comment

It's been that way forever. The recert isn't bad, it's only 1 day. The class gets fairly in-depth into the science behind it and case law, plus one day with the instructor doing speed estimations.
              Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Yea radar/lidar instructor school was full of the scientific junk.
                Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Florida is another state that used to require 40 hours mandatory training for RADAR, then another 12 hours to train in Laser.

Now the course is combined into a single 40 hours course called Speed Measurement. It includes visual speed estimation of vehicles while moving and stationary. (50 from a moving car, and 50 from roadside - each within 3mph of true target speed)

Florida does not have a recertification requirement.

I am surprised at the amount of states that do not have any formal requirements for RADAR operation. There are a lot of errors (panning, shadowing, scanning, cosine errors etc...) that operators of radar should at least be aware of to be able to defend their citations in court from all of the people that get their defenses from the internet.

Comment

NC is 40 hours and 16 hours of practice time. Recertify every two years.

Comment

Georgia is 16 hours of class for Radar with 16 hours of field training.
                      Laser is 8 hours class and 16 hours of field training.

Radar requires recert but Laser does not.

Comment

Originally posted by jthorpe View Post
                        NC is 40 hours and 16 hours of practice time. Recertify every two years.
                        Speaking of, my recert is next month... ughhhhhh

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6753 users online. 350 members and 6403 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X