300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some assistance on an interdiction stop

I ran across a honduran drivers license and the driver had a passport that looked legit with a paper that was stamped from dept. homeland security validating his license for the US.
    He consented to a search of his car which yielded nothing but I had a ton of indicators leading up to the vehicle stop and after making contact.

Is anyone familiar with the paperwork needed for an international license or the validation for a foreign license to be used in America.

I gave the guy an E for effort on having his stuff togethor, whether it was legit or not.
    I sent him on his way with a warning for his headlight being out.
    Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Didn't know DHS gave license. Most states won’t even recognize International License.

Comment

Originally posted by leesrt View Post
      I ran across a honduran drivers license and the driver had a passport that looked legit with a paper that was stamped from dept. homeland security validating his license for the US.
      He consented to a search of his car which yielded nothing but I had a ton of indicators leading up to the vehicle stop and after making contact.

Is anyone familiar with the paperwork needed for an international license or the validation for a foreign license to be used in America.

I gave the guy an E for effort on having his stuff togethor, whether it was legit or not.
      I sent him on his way with a warning for his headlight being out.
      I believe it will vary from state to state. California allows nonresidents over the age of 18 years of age to drive, providing they have in their immediate possession a valid driver's license issued by a foreign jurisdiction of which they are a resident.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

That paper had to do with their immigration status, not their DL.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

I did some research after that stop and discovered that in Ga, as long as they are over 16 and have a valid license from their home state or country, they can drive in Ga as long as they have a legal reason to be in America. This is right from 40-5-21.

40-5-21(2)
          A nonresident who has in his or her immediate possession a valid driver's license issued to him or her in his or her home state or country; provided, however, that such person would otherwise satisfy all requirements to receive a Georgia driver's license and, if such nonresident driver's license is in a language other than English, the nonresident also has in his or her immediate possession a valid international driving permit which conforms to and has been issued in accordance with the provisions of the Convention on Road Traffic, 3 U.S.T. 3008, TIAS 2487, or any similar such treaty, international agreement, or reciprocal agreement between the United States and a foreign nation concerning driving privileges of nonresidents;

40-5-21.1.
          Temporary licenses, permits, or special identification cards; foreign licenses or identification cards as evidence of legal presence in the United States

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, an applicant who presents in person valid documentary evidence of:

(1) Admission to the United States in a valid, unexpired non-immigrant status;

(2) A pending or approved application for asylum in the United States;

(3) Admission into the United States in refugee status;

(4) An approved application for temporary protected status in the United States;

(5) Approved deferred action status;

(6) Other federal documentation verified by the United States Department of Homeland Security to be valid documentary evidence of lawful presence in the United States under federal immigration law; or

(7) Verification of lawful presence as provided by Code Section 40-5-21.2 may be issued a temporary license, permit, or special identification card. Such temporary license, permit, or special identification card shall be valid only during the period of time of the applicant's authorized stay in the United States or three years, whichever occurs first.

(b) A driver's license or identification card issued by any state or territory which, on or after July 1, 2006, authorized such driver's license or identification card to be issued to persons not lawfully present in the United States may not be accepted as evidence of legal presence in the United States.
          In most cases that proof will be a valid passport or work visa so I will have to do some more research on what to look for on those items.

There is no international drivers license IDL so thats a scam. There is an international drivers permit IDP and is issued from either AAA or NAC (National Auto Club) and are purely papers that translate the information on your license. They are not legal documents in and of themselves.

Here is a link to the AAA permit application page that lists the countries that participate in the international drivers permits as set by the Convention on Road Traffic, United Nations, Geneva 1949) as of January, 2009.
          http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpapplc.html

The guy I stopped had a Honduran License and a passport showing his legal presence in the US so from what I'm reading he was O.K. He may have been required to have a permit as well but I'm not clear on that yet. From what I can tell if the license is in a foreign language (like Russian or Japanese, basically unreadable) you have to have the permit so that law enforcement can check that you license is valid.

This clears a lot of things up for me and in the past I may have written a few tickets for Driving While Unlicensed that shouldn't have been written. 9 times out of 10 they don't have any documentation showing they are legally in the US in which case Driving While Unlicensed is valid.

I thought I would share this with everyone because most officers I talked with didn't know this. Feel free to add or make corrections if you my understanding is off on this.
          Last edited by leesrt; 09-20-2009, 03:35 PM.
          Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

Comment

Originally posted by arcop223 View Post
            Didn't know DHS gave license. Most states won’t even recognize International License.
            Are you talking about the "International License" that people can order over the internet? The one that says that it is just a translation of their foreign license.

http://www.idlservice.com/

These are pure crap and don't count for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ifly View Post
              Are you talking about the "International License" that people can order over the internet? The one that says that it is just a translation of their foreign license.

http://www.idlservice.com/

These are pure crap and don't count for anything.
              Read my last post.

The international drivers permit is legit.
              The international drivers license is a scam.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6981 users online. 392 members and 6589 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X