Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failure to stop at a stop sign (Stop requirements)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure to stop at a stop sign (Stop requirements)

I've worked as a police officer on a small Marine base for two years. I've cited 1 person for running a stop sign. The driver was driving on the wrong side of the roadway and was looking at a windmill when he ran the stop sign. I cited him for two reasons. I didn't see his brake lamps illuminate to show he attempted to brake and he was in the oncoming lane. I've seen many drivers run stop signs but haven't thought issuing a cite. Please keep in mind that I stated I work on a small base and the fastest speed on our main road is 35MPH. I guess it all began with my first stop which was for stop requirements. He stopped passed the limit lane after he saw my vehicle across the street. Most of my citations are seat belt and cellphone violations.

When would you cite for running a stop sign?

Ex. California roll/stop, slow down then proceed after checking traffic, must completely stop, etc?
    Last edited by MCSD; 09-01-2009, 09:45 PM.

Stop em all the time looking for dope and such, but besides that, it's all about attitude. People become distracted at times(like us) and things happen.... No need to write unless needed.

Comment

I write any stop sign violation I see. I don't write the Cal. stops but everything else is a ticket.
      I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Comment

I will write if they blow through or if they don't stop when traffic is around..I'm pretty lenient though. I should probably write more of them.
        summer - winter - work

Comment

When it is a safety issue and reasonable. I'll stop every one of them, not all will leave with paper.

Comment

When they're doing 56 in a 35 and I have my radio.
            Last edited by RDEP; 09-08-2009, 02:03 PM. Reason: None
            Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

Stop Requirements

22450. (a) The driver of any vehicle approaching a stop sign at the entrance to, or within, an intersection shall stop at a limit line, if marked, otherwise before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection.

If there is no limit line or crosswalk, the driver shall stop at the entrance to the intersecting roadway .

(b) The driver of a vehicle approaching a stop sign at a railroad grade crossing shall stop at a limit line, if marked, otherwise before crossing the first track or entrance to the railroad grade crossing.

(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a local authority may adopt rules and regulations by ordinance or resolution providing for the placement of a stop sign at any location on a highway under its jurisdiction where the stop sign would enhance traffic safety.

Amended Sec. 8, Ch. 630, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008.
              When a driver fails to STOP you have PC for a stop. Then you, and you alone, have the ability to take an enforcement action on the driver. You may do what your agency authorizes you to do.

The intent of the section is to minimize traffic collisions at intersections and to control side street traffic.

If there are no vehicles in the area besides the violator and no threat of a collision took place, you may wish to issue a verbal warning; however, under the same set of circumstances and the driver is an Adam Henry, then certainly, signing him/her up would be a beneficial lesson to the errant idiot.
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

What does having to work "on a small Marine base for two years" have to do with it? If they break the law stop them. If need be write them an 1805 or a 1408. Other wise use your discretion.
                I stopped one before and had every intention of just giving the driver a warning. However as I approached the driver all I could hear was "I want a ticket".

Comment

I ONLY stop on stop signs if they COMPLETELY blow the stop. As in they don't even make an attempt to slow down.

If they tap their brake and go I won't even pull them over....and I still write about 3 tickets a night for stop sign violations.

I have never written a ticket for seatbelt or cell phone.
                  http://www.truepolicestories.net - my website of all my stories as a police officer. Please read it and become a member!

Comment

NVM this, i forgot that i'm not supposed to write in LEO-Only parts.
                    "Every morning you are handed 24 golden hours. They are one of the few things in this world that you get free of charge. If you had all the money in the world, you couldn't buy an extra hour. What will you do with this priceless treasure? Remember, you must use it, as it is given only once. Once wasted you cannot get it back." -Anonymous

Comment

I write when I see they made no attempt to stop or when there is heavy traffic.

Comment

I think that driving on the wrong side of the road is equally if not more serious, especially at an intersection.
                        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I pull over all the time but probably write one a year! I have had people completely drive through intersections without taping their brakes...

I think I can tell the difference between a bone headed mistake and someone just ignoring a stop sign for the sake of it...

Comment

The rolling stops are so frequent here that I wait another 30 seconds or so and get the next one going 15-20 mph through the intersection. If you actually sit and watch a stop sign.....without a uniform or marked unit there....very few actually STOP as required. Good PC for a stop always but since there are so common I stop the worst offenders if I am looking to write tickets.

Comment

Ever since I was tboned by an idiot while en route to a stabbing call, I always cite for it whenever I witness it.
                              In Memory of A Fallen Hero

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5693 users online. 290 members and 5403 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X