300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA & WV Officer's

(I know, I know..Guys. Sworn PO's only, but figured I would get some wannabcop's answer on the Ask a Cop area of O.com)

I am coming through VA & WV on vacation and have a question about the horror stories of Route 19 and radar detectors and speed enforcement. Somerville is supposedly a hub of speed enforcement, I have heard. Where is Somerville? Am I gonna pass through it or what...

AAA's TripTix has me going through your state and I see that they have a stamp near Rt. 19 that states "Speed Enforced". Can you guys give me the 411 on these rumors? Enlighten me please. This is the first time leaving NYS going south and really do not want to trust the teenagers responses on Google searches, LOL. Thanks for your help gents!
    Please note: Any assessment, assumption, attitude, conclusion, conjecture, feeling, guess', hypothesis, idea, inference, notion, sentiment, speculation, surmise', theory, thought or viewpoint that I put down is STRICTLY MINE! Remember that they do not represent the State of New York at any time!! At any time that NYS and I have the same viewpoints; they are strictly coincidental!!!

I would THINK if you stay between 5-10 miles of the speed limit, you SHOULD be ok (technically 1 mile over is speeding). Either way unless you plan on traveling at mach 3+, I dont see why you would have to ask where the "speed traps" are unless....you plan on speeding??

Comment

Forgot this section is only for sworn officers!
      Last edited by Arewethereyet; 09-08-2008, 10:58 AM. Reason: Forgot this section is only for sworn officers!

Comment

Travel that road in WVa a few times a year and was just down through SW Va. again on 19 in August, never heard any horror stories you describe. Any enforcement activity will tend to slow local traffic and make for a more relaxed drive I think.

The speed limits are posted ... just stay close to them, pay attention, toss the detector, and enjoy the scenery.

Have a safe trip and be thankful for any enforcement present.
        Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 09-08-2008, 04:51 PM.
        "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Good Point...LOL

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
          I would THINK if you stay between 5-10 miles of the speed limit, you SHOULD be ok (technically 1 mile over is speeding). Either way unless you plan on traveling at mach 3+, I dont see why you would have to ask where the "speed traps" are unless....you plan on speeding??
          City, good point there, didn't catch what I was saying when I wrote it.

I was asking because of the AAA TripTix stamp on the map by Rt. 19. I am going to Tenessee and on the whole map from Buffalo to Gatlinburg, there are no other stamps like this 'Speed Enforced' stamp. Why is Rt. 19 labeled this? The ladies at AAA say they hear all these horror stories from people about that area. Does Route 19 go through like bad areas of different towns, should I avoid it? I know up here some small town routes have given birth to seedy sections of each small town that it passes thru. I dunno...maybe I'll just avoid it all together. Who knows?
          Please note: Any assessment, assumption, attitude, conclusion, conjecture, feeling, guess', hypothesis, idea, inference, notion, sentiment, speculation, surmise', theory, thought or viewpoint that I put down is STRICTLY MINE! Remember that they do not represent the State of New York at any time!! At any time that NYS and I have the same viewpoints; they are strictly coincidental!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5053 users online. 313 members and 4740 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X