300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic vests

How many officers wear a vest or ansii 3 jacket when directing traffic or doing a car stop?
    With cell phones, texting, cb's , multi disc cd changers, and more stuff coming standard in autos the MOTORIST'S ATTENTION IS NOT ALWAYS ON YOU.
    Then when you become a hood ornament or have a close call, they say "I did not see you".
    How many were issued vests or hi viz clothing but it sits in the trunk of the car?
    Will your Dept comply with the Federal Law Nov 2008 mandating safety vests for all workers? Guess what, you stop a car, you are a highway worker. You are directing traffic, you are a highway worker.
    I am just curious as to how many officers use this regularly.

I wear a high-viz vest for traffic control and collision investigations, not for traffic stops. Although my agency issues high-viz vests, they have a tendency to hide in the trunk. I bought my own and keep it close at hand in my gear bag.

Comment

They dont issue them....

99.99% of the guys would throw in the back of the locker if they did issue them here......

It is a trade off.....be more visible so the DUIs and HUA drivers see you, or be less visible so you dont make such an easy target?
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
        They dont issue them....

99.99% of the guys would throw in the back of the locker if they did issue them here......

It is a trade off.....be more visible so the DUIs and HUA drivers see you, or be less visible so you dont make such an easy target?
        I'd for sure leave it in the locker, right next to my collapsible baton. What's next... patrolling with helmets on?
        Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Comment

It's policy here that you must wear your reflective vest whenever standing on the roadway (excluding traffic stops), for things like point duty, etc.

Best part, is that if the OH&S inspectors drive by and see you doing traffic point without a vest, they give you a massive fine.
          < Insert witty saying here >

Comment

They require us to wear the reflective vests when working a traffic post for any prolonged period of time such as traffic control for a concert, parade, etc.

Comment

As others have said, yes I am issued one. I wear it, and am required to wear it, any time I'm in traffic with the exception of enforcement activities.
              "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go" - Battalion Chief John Sullivan, FDNY

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!" - Rev1

"If you reload like old people f@ck, then you need to be behind something that stops bullets." - Blackdog F4i

IGNORE = since9, justme001, opencarry, bsd13, asullivan, okjoe, Patrick Sander, CJ616

Comment

Traffic stop? No.

Standing in the road for anything else? Yes.
                All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

I must admit, three and a half years and I’ve never worn it. On traffic stops, to me, it makes no sense. If they are not paying attention with the flashing lights and whatnot, the vest is not going to help you in my opinion.
                  I do see using it for traffic control however!
                  "Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."

- Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by btfp View Post
                    Guess what, you stop a car, you are a highway worker.
                    I think you need to check the Federal Regulation again.

Law enforcement traffic stops are not included in the situations where wearing high visibility garments are required due to officer safety / tactical considerations. The fire service also just succesfully fought for an exemption for firefighters who are actually engaged in firefighting- traffic vests are not flame resistant!

From the actual federal rule- which says all "workers" must wear a vest within the right-of-way of a Federal-aid highway.

"(Workers include) law enforcement personnel when directing traffic, investigating crashes, and handling lane closures, obstructed roadways, and disasters within the right-of-way of a Federal-aid highway."

By the way- almost every public road receives federal aid in some way shape or form! So for those of you are thinking you have a loophole when working on your city street / county highway - think again!

As to your second question- our agency will require by policy that we wear an ANSI II vest whenever we are operating at crash scenes etc as required above.
                    ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

If I'm directing traffic I wear my vest. Occasionally working a crash I will throw it on depending if I'm going to be there for awhile.
                      Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

I am not on the road yet as a law enforcement official. I have worked EMS for a few years and I always wear on when outside the truck. I have had the chance to do a few ride alongs and all for all of them both myself and the officer I was with always wore a traffic vest.

Lots of highways, a lot of speed, a lot of distracted people. It only makes sense to increase your chances of being seen while at work.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky08 View Post
                          I am not on the road yet as a law enforcement official. I have worked EMS for a few years and I always wear on when outside the truck. I have had the chance to do a few ride alongs and all for all of them both myself and the officer I was with always wore a traffic vest.

Lots of highways, a lot of speed, a lot of distracted people. It only makes sense to increase your chances of being seen while at work.
                          Not in LA it doesnt......might as well make those reflectors on the vest into the shape of crosshairs......

different areas, different mindsets and working conditions,,,,,
                          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

we're required to wear them. even with it on people dont see me though.

if it's raining sometimes i'll wear my reflective jacket on stops

Comment

Directing traffic, inv a crash..YES! While performing patrol work, (traffic stops etc), NO!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12090 users online. 504 members and 11586 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X